Ads not shown when logged in
Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Report A Picture

Quote Originally Posted by Delboy20 View Post
    And yet the picture of meerkats is still there !

Who on earth approved the picture?
    No mention of Meerkats in Soup Dragons review either, all very strange.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

Several issues here - obviously the most important is to identify correctly the creatures in the White Swan photo. They're not meerkats - my guess is groundhogs, but I'm not certain. Perhaps we count a zoo-ologist amongst our number who might help? They're clearly burrowing mammals of some kind.

I tend to agree with bcfczuluarmy over the Bulls Head/City Tavern photos. I don't like having a blank space on the front page if there exists a photo of the building, even if it's got the previous name of the pub. When someone posts a photo with the current signage then that's the time to suppress the old photos.

I don't think that there's an "official" policy on this? Some of us may remember that a few years ago some of us were given rights to suppress (that is not to show on the front page but still be available for anyone to view) photos of pubs that had changed their name when there existed a current photo. I think that's fair as a policy, but I remember getting it in the neck from Conrad because I also wanted to suppress photos of pubs covered in plastic sheeting while undergoing repairs or refurbs. I still hold the view that if you can't see the pub in the photo then it should be suppressed in favour of photos that actually show the pub.

Quote Originally Posted by Rex_Rattus View Post
    Several issues here - obviously the most important is to identify correctly the creatures in the White Swan photo. They're not meerkats - my guess is groundhogs, but I'm not certain. Perhaps we count a zoo-ologist amongst our number who might help? They're clearly burrowing mammals of some kind.
    Well spotted Rex, on closer inspection I would say the pictures are of Mongooses (that is the correct plural even though it sounds a bit silly)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mong 3.jpg 
Views:	161 
Size:	15.2 KB 
ID:	1429Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mong4.jpg 
Views:	146 
Size:	7.8 KB 
ID:	1430Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mong 5.jpg 
Views:	149 
Size:	9.2 KB 
ID:	1431
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mongoose.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	16.1 KB 
ID:	1427   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mongoose 2.jpg 
Views:	120 
Size:	14.8 KB 
ID:	1428  
    Last edited by Mobyduck; 08-01-2017 at 10:50.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

Quote Originally Posted by Mobyduck View Post
    Well spotted Rex, on closer inspection I would say the pictures are of Mongooses (that is the correct plural even though it sounds a bit silly)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mong 3.jpg 
Views:	161 
Size:	15.2 KB 
ID:	1429Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mong4.jpg 
Views:	146 
Size:	7.8 KB 
ID:	1430Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mong 5.jpg 
Views:	149 
Size:	9.2 KB 
ID:	1431

Now we know what they are called, are we going to adopt them and have an additional feature for "Live Animals" or send them back to Dudley Zoological Gardens where the picture was probably taken?

Trivia: They are also known as The Red Meerkat!
    Last edited by AlanH; 08-01-2017 at 12:59.

This Space For Hire

Just £2 a month could probably save this species.

Certainly looks like those guys! Oh, and my apologies for suggesting that zoologists are burrowing mammals!

I tend to agree with bcfczuluarmy over the Bulls Head/City Tavern photos. I don't like having a blank space on the front page if there exists a photo of the building, even if it's got the previous name of the pub. When someone posts a photo with the current signage then that's the time to suppress the old photos.

I don't think that there's an "official" policy on this? Some of us may remember that a few years ago some of us were given rights to suppress (that is not to show on the front page but still be available for anyone to view) photos of pubs that had changed their name when there existed a current photo. I think that's fair as a policy, but I remember getting it in the neck from Conrad because I also wanted to suppress photos of pubs covered in plastic sheeting while undergoing repairs or refurbs. I still hold the view that if you can't see the pub in the photo then it should be suppressed in favour of photos that actually show the pub.
    Makes sense to me. I don't see any point in having a blank space because a pub has been renamed. I also agree that when a current photo is added then that should be the one on display, with the older photos accessible to the viewer.

I am a salmon !!

Quote Originally Posted by AlanH View Post
    Now we know what they are called, are we going to adopt them and have an additional feature for "Live Animals" or send them back to Dudley Zoological Gardens where the picture was probably taken?

Trivia: They are also known as The Red Meerkat!
    At least we have decided on what they are!

The fact that this picture has been approved suggests that it wasn't even looked at. It could have been a whole lot worse.
    Thank god that the photographer had been to the zoo and not to some swingers party !!!!

I am a salmon !!

Quote Originally Posted by Delboy20 View Post
    Makes sense to me. I don't see any point in having a blank space because a pub has been renamed. I also agree that when a current photo is added then that should be the one on display, with the older photos accessible to the viewer.
    While I agree that a blank space is undesirable, I think it's better than having a photo of the pub when it had a previous name. It makes it look like we don't know what we're doing. (See mongoose thread above.) At least the blank has the merit of possibly prompting someone to go out and take a photo.

I agree with you about scaffolding and plastic sheeting. With regard to Jon's old photos of the Greyhound that were objected to, I don't see a problem with them. Ok, so this time last year the pub was closed, but it doesn't look decrepit (just one window boarded up as far as I can see). I have unsuppressed them accordingly. Even if Lady Grey submits some new ones, I wouldn't suppress the older ones, unless the landlord asked us to.
    Come On You Hatters!

Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
    While I agree that a blank space is undesirable, I think it's better than having a photo of the pub when it had a previous name. It makes it look like we don't know what we're doing. (See mongoose thread above.) At least the blank has the merit of possibly prompting someone to go out and take a photo.
    That worked for me recently in Stourbridge, the trouble is I've got a backlog of pictures going back months.