Ads not shown when logged in
Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Report A Picture

This Space For Hire

There seriously are some shit pictures on here for example ones taken from buses or other modes of transport with the pub a distant blur.

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
    I agree completely. I did spot a picture a while back that looked as though it had been taken from the top deck of a bus. The same person had posted perfectly good street level pics of the pub a few years earlier. What was the point of that?
    Had there been a change in paint job? I know I've taken pictures from the bus on the way home as pub as had a paint job and it seems a good as spot to take photo from than having to pop down and get street level view.

Quote Originally Posted by bcfczuluarmy View Post
    Had there been a change in paint job? I know I've taken pictures from the bus on the way home as pub as had a paint job and it seems a good as spot to take photo from than having to pop down and get street level view.
    I can't remember for sure, it looked pretty much the same to me. It was oop north somewhere.

Fully paid up beer belly Farway's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Strongers View Post
    Bag of worms!!!

What is not so obvious to people that do not use the forums is that we don't want pictures of plates of food. What is even less obvious is that any interior shots of pubs should not be shown on the main pub page (I'm not sure I understand the thinking behind this one as I think a good picture of the bar is just as informative as a picture of the exterior).
    Who are the "WE" A bit presumptive there roping everyone into your point of view, I do do not want CAMRA members only clubs listed, but would never presume my opinion is same as everyone's. Why ever not show plates of food just because you do not want it?

You may not want them, others may, shows what one is likely to get in the pub, not all users are gagging for beer, some actually eat in pubs as well, and not just crisps

Interior shots, covered elsewhere, and as with food, photos of beer mats, bar clips etc, gives an idea of the pub in general

FWIW I have opted to limit some shots to front page only, and for Strongers, my photos of food are not visible on front pages
    I drink to make others more interesting

Fully paid up beer belly Farway's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bcfczuluarmy View Post
    There seriously are some shit pictures on here for example ones taken from buses or other modes of transport with the pub a distant blur.
    As I said earlier, better than nothing if no one has ever gone to the pub or ever walked by it

Agreed, there are some crap photos, but as I also said earlier, they have been approved and not just bunged up by anyone with a camera
    I drink to make others more interesting

Quote Originally Posted by Farway View Post
    but as I also said earlier, they have been approved and not just bunged up by anyone with a camera
    Well it's not quite that simple, quality isn't meant to be assessed - one man's bad picture is another's "artistic interpretation". As an approver I don't make any quality judgements about photos when I approve them merely check they are:

1. the right pub (get that wrong sometimes)
    2. not a duplicate of one already submitted (some are very close but not actually duplicates)
    3. do not show anything inappropriate

I haven't refered to Dave any that include people or, except for one really dreadful picture, any for quality. I have sometimes hit the wrong button by mistake which must confuse Dave and I do refer pictures of places that are not pubs anymore if there is an existing picture of it when not a pub. I believe the other approvers do pretty much the same judging by what gets put on.

Surely all pictures are welcome as they are a great asset to the site, I just wish some people would edit their work a little better or at all in some well known cases.

Here's a question, I get my internal shots marked as not showing on the front page and I have no objection to that. Is there anything to stop me from changing it and I wonder have people actually done that? I
    As for pubs with scaffolding I've not bothered even taking a pic with two and did with one in Hastings where at least you could still see the pub sign.

Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
    Here's a question, I get my internal shots marked as not showing on the front page and I have no objection to that. Is there anything to stop me from changing it and I wonder have people actually done that? I
    As for pubs with scaffolding I've not bothered even taking a pic with two and did with one in Hastings where at least you could still see the pub sign.
    No, there's nothing to stop you changing it back to show your picture on the front page...and there's nothing to stop someone with admin rights changing it back again!

In considering whether to limit a photo's appearance to the "back page", I think we (that is, the photographers and the admins) have to ask whether the pub owner would be happy having that picture represent their pub. A picture of a building covered in scaffolding would not be one that I, if I owned the pub, would want potential customers to see if they landed on my pub's front page.
    Come On You Hatters!

Quote Originally Posted by Farway View Post
    Who are the "WE" A bit presumptive there roping everyone into your point of view, I do do not want CAMRA members only clubs listed, but would never presume my opinion is same as everyone's. Why ever not show plates of food just because you do not want it?

You may not want them, others may, shows what one is likely to get in the pub, not all users are gagging for beer, some actually eat in pubs as well, and not just crisps

Interior shots, covered elsewhere, and as with food, photos of beer mats, bar clips etc, gives an idea of the pub in general

FWIW I have opted to limit some shots to front page only, and for Strongers, my photos of food are not visible on front pages
    The use of the word ‘we’ in my post was meant to draw together previous comments from posters that have commented on what they think should and should not be permitted on the site. In hindsight I could of selected better language to express my point (which is not actually my view), but unfortunately my wordsmithery is not up to your high standard so I stand corrected.

I would like to thank you for taking the time to cut me down to size!
    WE ARE THE BREADMEN - UP THE BEES

Surely the main point here is what should be shown on the front page. I think an external shot of the pub is the one that looks more "right" (or aesthetically pleasing). A plate of food would look odd even for a Harvester wouldn't it?