Ads not shown when logged in
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Maidenhead Con Club - add?

Quote Originally Posted by Quinno View Post
    I think I'll take this a no then
    It's a yes from me providing you're happy with it. I have reserrvations about it being a Conservative club but that's another story and not really relevant.
    If no new clubs are to be allowed at all then in my opinion every existing one should be deleted and I have to ask why were any allowed on in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
    I realised that. My point was that I don't see how you can have different criteria for adding a club to the site, especially if one criterion is whether someone likes it or not. In my view, the club has to be (near as dammit) a public house to appear on a site with Pub in the name. Once it's crossed that hurdle, it should be treated the same as any other entry.
    A club can never be a public house by definition. What made you come to the conclusion that this was effectively a public house when you added it to the site? Your description makes it sound like a club to me despite the fact that you called it a pub on more than one occasion. As far as I can see it meets my criteria above as I can't believe you would have added it unless you actually liked it.

Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
    A club can never be a public house by definition. What made you come to the conclusion that this was effectively a public house when you added it to the site? Your description makes it sound like a club to me despite the fact that you called it a pub on more than one occasion. As far as I can see it meets my criteria above as I can't believe you would have added it unless you actually liked it.
    I agree with the example given, shouldn't be on the site,in my opinion, unless open to all and sundry which in this case it appears not to be. However I agree with S.H's earlier comment whether you personally like it or not shouldn't be a criteria as to whether an establishment is included or excluded, one mans poison is anothers nectar so to speak.
    Last edited by Mobyduck; 05-03-2015 at 05:43.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
    I added it because I had a drink in it and no one asked me to provide evidence that I was a member. Liking it had nothing to do with adding it.
    Come On You Hatters!

Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
    I added it because I had a drink in it and no one asked me to provide evidence that I was a member. Liking it had nothing to do with adding it.
    What you are actually suggesting is that only clubs that are prepared to breach the terms of their licence are allowed on the site. A club legally is for members and guests. Your review didn't mention the fact that you weren't asked for ID but does clearly say that CAMRA members or GBG carriers can be signed in.
    The Orient Supporters Club has been added (and I agree with that) but there is no way it is a Public House. As Al 11000 points out above, there are lots of places that have been added to the site that are questionable as pubs. Once some clubs have been added I don't see how you can justify that no others with similar credentials can not be. As for my criteria of "liking" the club I am quite prepared to change that to "I believe it would be of interest to users of the site". As Al 11000 points out above there are lots of places that have been added that are not really pubs (night clubs, wine bars, residential hotel bars, restaurants etc etc) and if there is going to be a witch hunt I would rather see it directed at these rather than the odd club that might get added because it is a great real ale venue that is accessible to CAMRA members.