Ads not shown when logged in

Thread: Its not a pub but!!!

This Space For Hire

Default Its not a pub but!!!

I was in the Beer Shop an off licence/ bottle shop in St Albans last weekThey have 5 cask beers on.You can take them home or you can drink a pint in the shop but they don't have a bar so you stick on a shelf,wander round and drink it in the shop.Great idea but its not a pub so I don't think it should be on pubs galore. It pains me to see Radizio Rico a restaurant in Upper st Islington included on this site.Its a restaurant. Sad.

Entry fee? Need to purchase food? If you've answered no to both these questions you may pass border control and become part of the PuG community.
    WE ARE THE BREADMEN - UP THE BEES

Quote Originally Posted by Strongers View Post
    Entry fee? Need to purchase food? If you've answered no to both these questions you may pass border control and become part of the PuG community.
    "Do I know where hell is? hell is in hello"

Perfectly valid concept - Cobbett’s Micropub

This Space For Hire aleandhearty's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by london calling View Post
    Great idea but its not a pub so I don't think it should be on pubs galore.
    Unfortunately, there are always going to be grey areas on the site, even with set criteria. I think places like this are much more in the spirit of PuG than some crappy chain restaurant, with a miniscule holding bar, that got through on a technicality. On that basis, I suggested Beer Huis in Ossett.
    Last edited by aleandhearty; 03-03-2015 at 10:12.
    'And where he supped the past lived still. And where he sipped the glass brimmed full' John Barleycorn, Carol Ann Duffy.

Quote Originally Posted by london calling View Post
    I was in the Beer Shop an off licence/ bottle shop in St Albans last weekThey have 5 cask beers on.You can take them home or you can drink a pint in the shop but they don't have a bar so you stick on a shelf,wander round and drink it in the shop.Great idea but its not a pub so I don't think it should be on pubs galore. It pains me to see Radizio Rico a restaurant in Upper st Islington included on this site.Its a restaurant. Sad.
    Pubs without bars have been around as long as I can recall. They were celebrated places as the beer was served straight from the cask and two that immediately spring to mind are the ex King & Barnes Blue Ship at the Haven in Sussex and the Brakspear Crooked Billet at Stoke Row in Oxfordshire, which although still on the site is I believe a restaurant. Most micropubs don't have a "bar" in the way I think you mean.

The real villains as suggested above are night clubs that have very limited opening hours and charge an entrance fee, restaurants / bistros / cafes where you are compelled to eat and hotels with just residents only bars. There is the old chestnut of closed pubs but I find that far less irritating than the others unless they have been added as a pub that the person who added it never knew or visited and if it comes with a picture of a shop or a house makes it even more annoying

Sounds OK to me ... more right to be on the site than a cafe Rouge !!!!

I am a salmon !!