Ads not shown when logged in

Thread: Starting a pub - query

Hybrid View

Teetotal

Default Starting a pub - query

Hi all, new here As I'm sure many others have previously, I've been thinking about taking on a pub for ages but kept it on the backburner. In the last week my local - in a nice tourist village, SE England - has come up for lease. It's Enterprise Inns with a "partial tie" (gulp) on beers. As per my research I wouldn't enter into anything of the sort, unless it was free of tie. I've seen talk of negotiating with their pubco prior to taking on the lease - has anyone got experience with this?

There are a few free-of-tie Enterprise owned pubs round here so I'm sure it can be done. I know most recommend buying a freehold which is another option - do EI flog their pubs? I've seen talk of them preferring the planning/convert to flats route as it means more £££ for them - probably right.

FWIW my business partner and I wouldn't be "running" the pub, we'd find a pub manager as we have limited experience in catering although a lot of experience in retailing and marketing and have the funds, to an extent, to get this pub off the ground. Part of me think it's a big opportunity I'd regret if I let it pass, and yet part of me is telling me I'm barmy when X pubs are dying every day.

Anyone ever done anything like this with a pubco ? Definitely won't even consider a partial tie.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by phatwa View Post
    Hi all, new here As I'm sure many others have previously, I've been thinking about taking on a pub for ages but kept it on the backburner. In the last week my local - in a nice tourist village, SE England - has come up for lease. It's Enterprise Inns with a "partial tie" (gulp) on beers. As per my research I wouldn't enter into anything of the sort, unless it was free of tie. I've seen talk of negotiating with their pubco prior to taking on the lease - has anyone got experience with this?

There are a few free-of-tie Enterprise owned pubs round here so I'm sure it can be done. I know most recommend buying a freehold which is another option - do EI flog their pubs? I've seen talk of them preferring the planning/convert to flats route as it means more £££ for them - probably right.

FWIW my business partner and I wouldn't be "running" the pub, we'd find a pub manager as we have limited experience in catering although a lot of experience in retailing and marketing and have the funds, to an extent, to get this pub off the ground. Part of me think it's a big opportunity I'd regret if I let it pass, and yet part of me is telling me I'm barmy when X pubs are dying every day.

Anyone ever done anything like this with a pubco ? Definitely won't even consider a partial tie.

Cheers
    Tried running a pub once a good few years ago, I was very naive and basically done up like a kipper, pub co was then Unique,I believe brought out (absorbed ) by Enterprise, there was a holding company involved , I lasted about six weeks, if I were to think about a similar venture again it would have to be on a freehold basis and have some considerable funds available, no point at all going in half cocked . Good luck if you go for it.
    Last edited by Mobyduck; 23-02-2015 at 20:24.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

Teetotal

Quote Originally Posted by Mobyduck View Post
    Tried running a pub once a good few years ago, I was very naive and basically done up like a kipper, pub co was then Unique,I believe brought out (absorbed ) by Enterprise, there was a holding company involved , I lasted about six weeks, if I were to think about a similar venture again it would have to be on a freehold basis and have some considerable funds available, no point at all going in half cocked . Good luck if you go for it.
    Was that on a tied basis? I've not really heard of any positive stories when there's a full- or partial-tie involved...!

Would love to buy the freehold (if available) but then that leaves little in the way of funds for renovation etc. Ideally a free of tie pub leased and with full control over the way it's run and decorated. Does such a thing exist?

Waterborne Beer Inspector Bucking Fastard's Avatar

Was that on a tied basis? I've not really heard of any positive stories when there's a full- or partial-tie involved...!

Would love to buy the freehold (if available) but then that leaves little in the way of funds for renovation etc. Ideally a free of tie pub leased and with full control over the way it's run and decorated. Does such a thing exist?
    I'm no expert but I believe the Craft Beer Company has leased pubs from Greene King on a free of tie,with freedom over operational issues at their Leather Lane site ,and also their Cask Pub and Kitchen in Pimlico.They operate some leading real ale and craft keg beer pubs and you could always put in a cheeky call to them to see what they were able to negotiate.
    "Good people drink good beer" Hunter S Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by Bucking Fastard View Post
    I'm no expert but I believe the Craft Beer Company has leased pubs from Greene King on a free of tie,with freedom over operational issues at their Leather Lane site ,and also their Cask Pub and Kitchen in Pimlico.They operate some leading real ale and craft keg beer pubs and you could always put in a cheeky call to them to see what they were able to negotiate.
    I suspect some serious financial input.
    -W.C.Fields

This Space For Hire

The Owner of the Bree Louise has a free of tie Enterprise lease and In 2009 when it started he agreed to pay £27000 a year for this option.Check out Camra forums I am sure Richard English would know a lot about this subject.

Tied.
    I think you would be extremely lucky to realise your ideal situation although this has happened in the past.
    -W.C.Fields