Ads not shown when logged in
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Average pub ratings

Default Average pub ratings

Thanks to all for the supportive comments!

As an aside, I have been looking back about how I have rated the 3000 pubs - see linked graph below.

My average rating works out at 6.38, so I wonder how that compares to other reviewers... am I too generous or too tough?

NB - I think I am at least reasonably consistent, since the average was 6.39 after 2000 and - from memory - about 6.48 after 1000 (and the first third probably tended to be the better pubs in the areas visited).

Quote Originally Posted by rpadam View Post

As an aside, I have been looking back about how I have rated the 3000 pubs - see linked graph below.

My average rating works out at 6.38, so I wonder how that compares to other reviewers... am I too generous or too tough?

NB - I think I am at least reasonably consistent, since the average was 6.39 after 2000 and - from memory - about 6.48 after 1000 (and the first third probably tended to be the better pubs in the areas visited).
    Just worked out my average albeit on a vastly smaller scale, 229 given a rating= 6.37 remarkably similar to RP's above. Tough or generous ? On my personal rating scale 5= probably wouldn't bother again, 6= worth a pint if passing, 7= worth travelling to, and either end of this =varying degrees of crap or greatness. When planning a trip I do try to target pubs I think will achieve 7 or above rather than pick an area and do all within it, this of course runs the risk of missing a hidden gem as well as missing out on a lot of dross, some of which you still come across anyway,all part of the game.
    Last edited by Mobyduck; 26-01-2015 at 11:23.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

Before everyone goes off working out their averages I will come up with a page in the next couple of days where you can go and check your own rating distribution and average.

It is something I've looked at before, 6.5ish is fairly typical for most people.

For geeky statto types only!
    I'd suggest that ideally with a rating scale of 1-10 the average rating from a user should be 5.5 with a standard deviation of about 2.25 if we were going to assume a normal distribution of their ratings. One user does actually get very close with an average of 5.58 and standard deviation of 2.18.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave M View Post
    Before everyone goes off working out their averages I will come up with a page in the next couple of days where you can go and check your own rating distribution and average.

It is something I've looked at before, 6.5ish is fairly typical for most people.

I'd suggest that ideally with a rating scale of 1-10 the average rating from a user should be 5.5 with a standard deviation of about 2.25 if we were going to assume a normal distribution of their ratings. One user does actually get very close with an average of 5.58 and standard deviation of 2.18.
    Wish you said that earlier, took me ages.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

Nice

You'd assume that you'd be expecting a Bell curve, all things being equal.

Of course, we have at least two extra skew-factor considerations here:

1) Quite a few of of us - understandably - are less likely to go into 'known' poor pubs and far more likely to go into 'known' good pubs. So that's a self-fulfilling uplift.

2) Given the history of this site (with emphasis on the migration of reviewers from The Other Side) quite a number of reviewers would, I contend, tend to be a little more generous here than they were over there. Especially as their score is displayed, rather than being hidden and feeding into the pub's overall score. Certainly I would have to have good cause to rate a place below 6, which is generally accepted here as the standard of 'OK', when the whole world can see it pinned directly to me rather than be anonymised.

Look forward to seeing the averages/distribution page
    Last edited by Quinno; 26-01-2015 at 12:48.

I just moved this into a new thread as it runs the risk of totally derailing a thread that has stayed fairly on topic for once!

Quote Originally Posted by Quinno View Post
    Nice

You'd assume that you'd be expecting a Bell curve, all things being equal.

Of course, we have at least two extra skew-factor considerations here:

1) Quite a few of of us - understandably - are less likely to go into 'known' poor pubs and far more likely to go into 'known' good pubs. So that's a self-fulfilling uplift.
    Which means that there are implicit poor ratings for places that haven't even been visited which is kind of unhelpful and flags up a problem with ratings systems - and indeed why a 1-10 system is not really much use. Ideally users should rank all of the pubs they have visited, something we toyed with introducing at one point.

Quote Originally Posted by Quinno View Post
    2) Given the history of this site (with emphasis on the migration of reviewers from The Other Side) quite a number of reviewers would, I contend, tend to be a little more generous here than they were over there. Especially as their score is displayed, rather than being hidden and feeding into the pub's overall score. Certainly I would have to have good cause to rate a place below 6, which is generally accepted here as the standard of 'OK', when the whole world can see it pinned directly to me rather than be anonymised.
    I'd never considered the anonymity effect skewing ratings, good point though.

One reason I've always shied away from publishing any of these ratings averages is that I don't want people to change they way they do things. For you an acceptable score is 6, for others I'd suggest it may well be 4. So long as everyone stays true to their own ratings I can at least try to make sense of them.

I did experiment last year with creating some sort of overall ratings just to see what would come out of it. Taking into account each persons individual style and giving less weight to people with very few ratings. Using that system The Drawbridge came out as one of the worst in the country - a good example of a 5 from you being fairly damning!

I did experiment last year with creating some sort of overall ratings just to see what would come out of it. Taking into account each persons individual style and giving less weight to people with very few ratings. Using that system The Drawbridge came out as one of the worst in the country - a good example of a 5 from you being fairly damning!

"seems content to work on the maxim that even a stopped clock still tells the right time twice a day".

Now then, the overall ratings as outlined above would be an interesting list to see...I like the methodology you're using!
    Last edited by Quinno; 26-01-2015 at 13:43.

Quote Originally Posted by rpadam View Post

It also appears that you use the 2 - 9 range of ratings not 1 - 10.

Still searching for your personal "Moon Under Water"?

I use both 1 and 10 occasionally which means that I am both less generous and more generous than your good self.
    A pub is for life not just for Christmas

Quote Originally Posted by ROBCamra View Post
    It also appears that you use the 2 - 9 range of ratings not 1 - 10.

Still searching for your personal "Moon Under Water"?

I use both 1 and 10 occasionally which means that I am both less generous and more generous than your good self.
    I have awarded very few 1s or 10s, so I guess I'm more in tune with RP on this - even where I've awarded a 10 I've tended to think in retrospect that I should have given a 9 instead!

My average (based on a spreadsheet that I haven't updated since this time last year) is 5.65. A reasonable bell curve, too, with my total 6s (294 out of 795) being roughly the same as the sum of my 5s (139) and my 7s (145). OK, I just realised I've outed myself as a spreadsheet geek. I'll just crawl back under my rock.
    Come On You Hatters!

Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
    I just realised I've outed myself as a spreadsheet geek. I'll just crawl back under my rock.
    You have fellow geek friends here
    Last edited by Quinno; 26-01-2015 at 16:07.