Ads not shown when logged in
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Closed Pubs Not on the Site

Quote Originally Posted by bcfczuluarmy View Post
    Surely if you go into that realm you open it up to conversions being added that still bare the name of the pub and resemble it with some variant added after the name like cottage, house or flats etc that shut long before the internet arrived or the GBG.
    That isn't really what I meant. Take an example like The Papermakers in Maidstone. It's been shut for about 15 years, but still has most of the exterior signage in situ and has not been converted. In fact, it looks less run down than quite a few pubs I have visited in certain less salubrious areas. Who knows, perhaps it will return as a pub one day? In the meantime, people will continue to walk or drive past it and wonder what the situation is. Having it on this site, with a photograph, and a commentary, at least makes things a bit clearer. All in all, it is still recognisably a pub, albeit one closed for quite a long time...
    Last edited by rpadam; 22-01-2015 at 22:55.

Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post

I would also seriously suggest that "pubs" which have been added to the site where there is no extant building and no link with the original pub (I'm thinking of all those Britannia Building Society photos) should be removed altogether.
    I second that. How about adding restaurants where you have to buy a meal, night clubs that charge an entrance fee and residents only hotels to that list?

Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post

I would also seriously suggest that "pubs" which have been added to the site where there is no extant building and no link with the original pub (I'm thinking of all those Britannia Building Society photos) should be removed altogether.
    I agree totally with this, their existence is quite pointless.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by rpadam View Post
    That isn't really what I meant. Take an example like The Papermakers in Maidstone. It's been shut for about 15 years, but still has most of the exterior signage in situ and has not been converted. In fact, it looks less run down than quite a few pubs I have visited in certain less salubrious areas. Who knows, perhaps it will return as a pub one day? In the meantime, people will continue to walk or drive past it and wonder what the situation is. Having it on this site, with a photograph, and a commentary, at least makes things a bit clearer. All in all, it is still recognisably a pub, albeit one closed for quite a long time...
    Examples like that are generally few and far between, hence my thought process on your thought process it seems.

I've lots of old pub pictures of conversions that shut too many years ago to warrant being added so I won't as I wasn't into pub pictures nor had a camera phone all those years ago to capture those I went in while open. I'll add a picture to here if a pub is already listed as closed, demolished a Britannia or Dominos etc as it shows what it became especially if not demolished and never had a picture added prior to being marked closed.

We'll go round in circles on this but it comes down to those that approve closed pub pictures and adding closed pubs with modern or old pictures. I'm easy either way as I'll take my own pictures and if it gets approved or not it on here it's not the end of the world.

Where I have found the inclusion of closed pubs useful is when I see a pub listed on another site, or hear of one by other means, that appears open but isn't. A quick look on here will reveal that it has been converted, demolished or whatever, so I know I don't need to bother finding it.

The main argument agaisnt having closed pubs on here is, I think, that it needs administrator time to approve and maintain the records.

Quote Originally Posted by ETA View Post
    The main argument agaisnt having closed pubs on here is, I think, that it needs administrator time to approve and maintain the records.
    It's also a pain in the rear going through them when planning a crawl to see if any may actually be open (we've all come across them I'm sure!). Some kind of filter by closure date/fate, perhaps?

I'll stay on me own

I am still waiting for two closed pubs i added to the site back in March 2014 both have proper photos of when they were up and running a review of the pub at the time the picture was taken,this is one of them http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/newpubs/26881/.

Is it worth waiting to get them added after this amount of time or should i delete them and be lost from the site.
    We are all equal,but some are more equal than others

Quote Originally Posted by Al 10000 View Post
    I am still waiting for two closed pubs i added to the site back in March 2014 both have proper photos of when they were up and running a review of the pub at the time the picture was taken,this is one of them http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/newpubs/26881/.

Is it worth waiting to get them added after this amount of time or should i delete them and be lost from the site.
    I'd leave them in case Dave has a change of heart.

Have you sent them to the Lost Pubs Project? If the pubs are not already listed, you can submit them (just click the SUBMIT button, which generates an email): just give name and address of the pub and when it closed, if you know that, and when you had a drink in it, and attach your photo to the email. If they're already on the site, but without photos or comments, just submit those - I know that Glenn Woolley who runs the site will be pleased to hear from you, and your contributions will be gratefully acknowledged, just like on PuG.
    Come On You Hatters!