Ads not shown when logged in
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Closed Pubs Not on the Site

I'll stay on me own

Default Closed Pubs Not on the Site

I have recently found a cheap way of getting some of my old photos pub onto disc.

Some members may have seen some of my photos taken of pubs in Nottingham in 1983,all of these pubs are either closed or pulled down.

My problem is do i add the probably hundreds of closed pubs to the site with a photo and review,i have two outstanding closed pubs that were added in February and early March 2014,ime still awaiting approval for these.

Take a look at my avitar,that is a long lost Joseph Holt tied house that was situated in Hollinwood Oldham.

Could someone let me know if it is worth adding closed pubs that are not on the site at the moment.

Thanks Alan
    We are all equal,but some are more equal than others

I would say definitely add them, especially because you have a picture and an old review.
    WE ARE THE BREADMEN - UP THE BEES

Quote Originally Posted by Strongers View Post
    I would say definitely add them, especially because you have a picture and an old review.
    But according to replies I've had elsewhere about a closed pub I wanted to add that's not been done, the adding of closed pubs is no longer happening. Which I can understand from one viewpoint but then again if that's now policy, shouldn't all closed pubs from more than 5 years ago be zapped too? I'd much rather have Al's closed pubs that come with a photo and a bit of genuine historical visit context from the man himself than have to wade through a load of non-existent and non-context places that closed 40 years ago, added by the photographers who simply wanted an excuse to take a picture of a bank/shop/house in order to put their stats up as part of a silly arms race amongst themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by Quinno View Post
    I'd much rather have Al's closed pubs that come with a photo and a bit of genuine historical visit context from the man himself
    Absolutely, I love having any useful content on the site. Of the messages that I get from random visitors most of them are to complain about something - oddly enough though we do get nice messages from people saying how good it was to see some helpful information about a long gone pub.

wade through a load of non-existent and non-context places that closed 40 years ago, added by the photographers who simply wanted an excuse to take a picture of a bank/shop/house in order to put their stats up as part of a silly arms race amongst themselves.
    What I've never seen however is someone getting excited about seeing a picture of the branch of Ladbrokes that now stands in roughly the area of a long demolished pub with absolutely no useful information.

I do want (and intend) to start approving the useful closed pub entries at some point but as you can probably imagine there is a lot of fairly useless stuff for me to filter out too.

Do I perhaps need clear guidelines for a closed pub being added? A requirement for a photo of it as it was taken by the actual user plus ideally a first hand account of having visited it?

But according to replies I've had elsewhere about a closed pub I wanted to add that's not been done, the adding of closed pubs is no longer happening. Which I can understand from one viewpoint but then again if that's now policy, shouldn't all closed pubs from more than 5 years ago be zapped too? I'd much rather have Al's closed pubs that come with a photo and a bit of genuine historical visit context from the man himself than have to wade through a load of non-existent and non-context places that closed 40 years ago, added by the photographers who simply wanted an excuse to take a picture of a bank/shop/house in order to put their stats up as part of a silly arms race amongst themselves.
    That sums up the way I feel about it. Surely the place for these is on the Lost Pubs Project, assuming none are in Wales or Scotland.

I think there is also a place for a closed pub with a photograph, even if there is no review, provided that there is clearly some indication of its former use (e.g. residual exterior signage) that can still be seen as you walk past.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave M View Post
    I do want (and intend) to start approving the useful closed pub entries at some point but as you can probably imagine there is a lot of fairly useless stuff for me to filter out too.

Do I perhaps need clear guidelines for a closed pub being added? A requirement for a photo of it as it was taken by the actual user plus ideally a first hand account of having visited it?
    IMO that would be a good baseline.

Perhaps added to that somewhere like http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/newpubs/28103/ where the building's previous existence is still quite obvious and could well be confused for some sort of licensed premises still operating. I'm sure others will have their viewpoints, however. (EDIT - I see rpadam beat me to it!!)

I appreciate that you have plenty of things to do, so - as usual - please don't take my ramblings on here as me having a go or anything like that
    Last edited by Quinno; 21-01-2015 at 22:54.

I'll stay on me own

Thanks for all of your replies,

I only add old pubs that i have been in,most Nottingham pubs i have been in quite a few times as i tried to take my wife in all of the Nottingham pubs i have been in.

I do have proper dates of pubs visited since May 1982 along with either the brewery who was running the pub or if it was a rare Free House then i listed the beers they had on the bar at the time of visit,i do admit my photo taken dates are not proper until late 1984,i also have rough books from 1982 which also lists all pubs visited with proper date and brewery or beer,i have kept all rough books since then,my wife does add some usually comical comments about pubs when on a pub crawl with me into my rough books.
    I would rather add these pubs to this site.

Once again thanks, Alan
    We are all equal,but some are more equal than others

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by rpadam View Post
    I think there is also a place for a closed pub with a photograph, even if there is no review, provided that there is clearly some indication of its former use (e.g. residual exterior signage) that can still be seen as you walk past.
    Surely if you go into that realm you open it up to conversions being added that still bare the name of the pub and resemble it with some variant added after the name like cottage, house or flats etc that shut long before the internet arrived or the GBG.

Quote Originally Posted by bcfczuluarmy View Post
    Surely if you go into that realm you open it up to conversions being added that still bare the name of the pub and resemble it with some variant added after the name like cottage, house or flats etc that shut long before the internet arrived or the GBG.
    I would be inclined to agree, if only because I have added many (former) pubs of this type to the site! A downside though would be that photography completists (those taking part in "a silly arms race amongst themselves") would be tempted to go out and take more photos.

On balance, I'm leaning towards the opinion that submitters of such pubs should be encouraged to add them to the Closed Pubs project instead. I like the idea of adding Al's 10,000 pubs to this site, though - he's got the contemporary photos and the reviews (even if this amounts to little more than the date visited and the beer drunk), which are a much more valuable record than a modern photo of a former pub in its new guise.

I would also seriously suggest that "pubs" which have been added to the site where there is no extant building and no link with the original pub (I'm thinking of all those Britannia Building Society photos) should be removed altogether.
    Come On You Hatters!