Ads not shown when logged in
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What was that pub called

This Space For Hire

Default What was that pub called

Does anyone remember a bar/pub that was on the actual tube platform at Victoria station.I am sure I drank at it in 1973/4 when I first came to London.A friend reckons it couldn't have been on the tube station platform.Am I confused?

Quote Originally Posted by london calling View Post
    Does anyone remember a bar/pub that was on the actual tube platform at Victoria station.I am sure I drank at it in 1973/4 when I first came to London.A friend reckons it couldn't have been on the tube station platform.Am I confused?
    Your friend would be right about the Victoria Line I don't think there has ever been any sort of retail outlet in any deep tunnel stations but I may be wrong. I've rarely used the District / Circle platforms but I find it hard to imagine there would have been room for a pub, and I can't remember one on any other platforms that are actually underground. The only thing I can remember is a small bar next to Farringdon Station that I believe was part of the station buildings.

You're not confused - well, you might be, but not over this! There definitely was a bar on a tube station platform. It wasn't at Victoria- it was on the District/Circle line and I believe it was at Sloane Square (on the westbound platform). I think it may have been called the Hole in the Wall. Of course the stations on this bit of the tube aren't deep tunnel stations, but cut and cover. A bit more research will probably reveal the full story, but this is just from memory.

PS - I was right - Hole in the Wall Sloane Square!
    Last edited by Rex_Rattus; 31-01-2015 at 20:57.

Maybe some clues here
    Last edited by Mobyduck; 31-01-2015 at 21:27.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

The Urban75 site seems to have all known info about this. I'm not sure that I've ever used Sloane Square station but know Liverpool Street and don't recall the bar being there at all.

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by Mobyduck View Post
    Maybe some clues here
    Takes me back. I remember the ones at Sth Ken and Gloucester Rd too though they weren't on the platforms.

This Space For Hire

That's it Sloan Square. My mate Fred knows everything and he said it was illegal to drink on the Underground so I was talking bollocks about a pub on the underground.I came from Dundee where the licencing laws were pretty strict so we loved the fact you could drink on a tube platform, you could drink after 10.00 pm, you could drink In a pub on sunday,you could drink at Smithfield at 6.00 in the morning, you could drink in members clubs all afternoon when the pubs were shut.Also I knew guys who would go to Windsor Safari park just to drink on a sunday because they had an all day licence. Happy days. cheers john
    Last edited by london calling; 01-02-2015 at 23:07.

This Space For Hire

That's it Sloan Square. My mate Fred knows everything and he said it was illegal to drink on the Underground so I was talking bollocks about a pub on the underground.I came from Dundee where the licencing laws were pretty strict so we loved the fact you could drink on a tube platform, you could drink after 10.00 pm, you could drink In a pub on sunday,you could drink at Smithfield at 6.00 in the morning, you could drink in members clubs all afternoon when the pubs were shut.Also I knew guys who would go to Windsor Safari park just to drink on a sunday because they had an all day licence. Happy days. cheers john
    And you'd make sure a train trip was between 2 and 7 on a Sunday afternoon as BR buffet cars were about the only places you could get drinks then - even the offies were shut Sunday afternoons.

Quote Originally Posted by NickDavies View Post
    And you'd make sure a train trip was between 2 and 7 on a Sunday afternoon as BR buffet cars were about the only places you could get drinks then - even the offies were shut Sunday afternoons.
    Warm can of McEwan's Export anyone?

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by rpadam View Post
    Warm can of McEwan's Export anyone?
    HSTs had keg fonts in the buffet cars when they were first introduced. They didn't seem to last long and I don't remember ever being on a train where it was in use.