Ads not shown when logged in
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What Pub v Pubs Galore

This Space For Hire gillhalfpint's Avatar

Default What Pub v Pubs Galore

Big discussion on Yahoo Scoopgen group about Whatpub produced this comment.

Others like Pubs Galore have lead the way but What Pub is lagging in some areas, but does give more info pub wise such as public transport etc how far it is from a bus stop, rail or metro or tube.

Gill
    Alcohol doesn't solve problems .... but then again, neither does milk.

Quote Originally Posted by gillhalfpint View Post

Others like Pubs Galore have lead the way but What Pub is lagging in some areas, but does give more info pub wise such as public transport etc how far it is from a bus stop, rail or metro or tube.

Gill
    I assume you're going to put them right then Gill?

The Angel Alehouse

I think you'll find if you hover over the bus stop sign on this pub for example it will tell you that the stop is called Long Street
    and is actually situated on Radcliffe Street and is 190 metres away whilst the one going in the other direction is 175 metres away.
    A pub is for life not just for Christmas

I have sent them a mail to tell them. Good they are using us as a bench mark though in the discussion.

This Space For Hire

To be fair they do tell you the numbers to catch, although one of my locals has incorrect details as they've recently renamed the 309 and 310 to 78 and 79 so someone could be waiting along time for a bus from WP info. http://whatpub.com/pubs/AVN/38/anchor-bristol

Out & about using a smart phone WHATPUB wins hands down

Quote Originally Posted by oldboots View Post
    Out & about using a smart phone
    Wot Dat??

Quote Originally Posted by gillhalfpint View Post

Gill
    The What Pub v Pubs Galore comparison often appears, but I am happy that it is always the same "Cup Final!"
    Other sites never get near the 'Big 2' for comprehensive cover and regular updates. BiTe must be now "non league" and Perfect Pint still very junior.

PuG is still the friendly site where it shows real people and you can see the activity going on. What Pub stores more info (beers, opening times, phone numbers etc.)
    Both have similar weak points (South Wales, NE England and Scotland). Photos, reviews and map points can be done anywhere in the country on PuG but is very Branch dependant when sent in to WP (I have been trying to correct a map point in Ilfracombe, Devon [which is 4 miles out] for about 8 months!).

It could be said that Dave has made PuG the best all round guide by adding the WP link to the pubs.

Quote Originally Posted by oldboots View Post
    Out & about using a smart phone WHATPUB wins hands down
    Absolutely! They actually have a mobile friendly version, which is a good start.

Looking at the stats of visitors to this site I can see that only 42% are using a desktop, 39% a mobile and 19% a tablet. It is pretty clear that I need to produce a version that is a little easier to use on mobile devices and I've done some work on it but it is a pretty big job.

Anyone using an Android phone can try out an app that I created last year as a bit of an experiment. It is a bit buggy but works well enough on my phone so I was happy, it just produces a map of all the nearby pubs then has a link to the PG (and WP) pages for it. https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...epubs&hl=en_GB

I have the Pubs Galore app on my android but I get no map or link to What Pub. I can find the pubs in an area, read the latest review and see a photo. Cannot access forums either. Had it for ages, so checking your link in case it is a newer version.

Yes the original Pubs Galore app doesn't really have any features and badly needs updating. The one I linked to here is a new one I created with the intention of it ending up forming the map part of a new app.