Ads not shown when logged in
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: It takes all sorts

This Space For Hire

Default It takes all sorts

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by NickDavies View Post
    Why are the general public allowed to review pubs.Surely there should be a way of restricting the first 5 or 10 reviews like Ratebeer does so random tourists don't rate pubs.its a 10 one of the best pubs you will ever encounter.Or maybe that was the fish and chips he rated.

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by london calling View Post
    Why are the general public allowed to review pubs.Surely there should be a way of restricting the first 5 or 10 reviews like Ratebeer does so random tourists don't rate pubs.its a 10 one of the best pubs you will ever encounter.Or maybe that was the fish and chips he rated.
    I doubt he knows what fish and chips is supposed to be like either. It's bound to be Brake's (other food service operators exist) frozen then oven blasted stuff, dry and tasting of cardboard, needs a gallon of sauce to ease it down.

Fully paid up beer belly Farway's Avatar

Of course general public should be allowed to review without clocking up number of reviews. That would be a great way to deter any newbies

I think, looking at other reviews for same pub most experienced readers would soon spot the general low trend of reviews, and the overall rating is only bumped up to 5/10 even by this 10 score

Quote Originally Posted by Farway View Post
    Of course general public should be allowed to review without clocking up number of reviews. That would be a great way to deter any newbies
    I agree entirely, despite the shortcomings of the review it's not really doing any harm. It's nice to see some new reviewers in the last few months, one in particular with what I would call an eccentric style which I find rather appealing. One of the more interesting reviewers on the Dark Side last year was an Aussie called Queenslander. He had all sorts of opinions that I couldn't agree with but surely that's how it should be?

I agree - definitely do not deter new posters. I reckon if I lived in Florida and The Shakespeare was plonked down where I lived then I would be a regular in there! I recall seeing a posting by a visiting poster who said that he thought the Fosters in some place was absolutely amazing. He's entitled to his opinion of course, and I agree with him, in that Fosters is absolutely amazing - for different reasons probably!

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by Rex_Rattus View Post
    I reckon if I lived in Florida and The Shakespeare was plonked down where I lived then I would be a regular in there!
    Ah but if it came with complete with existing clientele would you still want to live near it let alone go in it?

Quote Originally Posted by NickDavies View Post
    Ah but if it came with complete with existing clientele would you still want to live near it let alone go in it?
    OK, it would be a dilemma!

This Space For Hire

Its the reviewers who post negative or in this case a 10 when they are one timers only that bother me.They contribute ziltch to this site.

This Space For Hire

I don't think it matters. I pointed the post out for amusement; it says far more about the poster than the pub.

I think it was agreed long ago that the point scoring wasn't to be taken too seriously, it isn't there to create daft league tables like in BITE. And as it isn't a routine rant about a family Sunday lunch it's fair enough comment.