Ads not shown when logged in
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Logging in problem

This Space For Hire gillhalfpint's Avatar

Default Logging in problem

Since the site changed I have to log in every time I want to use the site, and this is something I haven't had to do since I first logged in on Joining Pubs Galore.

Is this something new?

I ticked the remember me box, and I never log out when I leave the site.

Wandering, or wondering, or wandering in.

I've not had that problem Gill, either on the main site or the forums, I have stayed logged in on both.

Sometimes it helps Conrad identify the problem if he knows what browser you are using so you might want to let him know.

Cheers

I am windows internet explorer provided by yahoo, but am not in way a technical person.

Hope that is the info you need.

Former Pubs Galore Coder

Hmm, that is an odd one. We seem to regularly get this with individuals and I am none the wiser as to what causes it. So far it seems that if you switch the computer off and on again, or when you come back it starts working.

Interestingly in your case our system is telling me that you don't have the remember me on which is the first time I have seen it that way round. So next time you come to the site you will have to log in again. I am intrigued, is it happening with both the forum and the main site? They use different login code so it may give me a hint that I need to improve mine. Let me know if it persists, keep on using the remember me and I think it will just start working.

Just Missed the Round Evil Gazebo's Avatar

I get the forum page remembering me, but always have to log into the main site, despite clicking the remember me box each time. Using Firefox, fwiw. Hope this helps.

Former Pubs Galore Coder

I really am stumped over all this as I can't reproduce it.

My latest idea that may work is, try logging into the main site, preferably with remember me on, then log out again fairly swiftly. If you then log in again with the remember me on I am hoping it will stick.

Basically this should clear out all the relevant cookies we place on your computer and hopefully remove any garbage that may be causing problems.

Let me know how that one goes.

That's what I did and I've been logged in ever since.
    WE ARE THE BREADMEN - UP THE BEES

Former Pubs Galore Coder

Interesting, hopefully this will work for others.

Tried the above, and I still have to log in every time.

Can't work out what changed. When I first signed up I logged in and ticked remember me, and for months I have never had to log in any more.

All of a sudden I have to log in every time I want to be on site and use the forums, sometimes several times a day.

Former Pubs Galore Coder

Ok, well I have been analysing this a little now. To get to the punchline at the start though I am bemused and the only solutions I have are radical ones.

The fact that the forums aren't remembering you adds to the confusion, as they were written by better coders than I and shouldn't have any real issues in there which tends to make me want to blame your computer. I am not sure if you are also getting this problem with other sites though.

The other thing confusing me is that our system is saying that you have not ticked the remember me even though you last logged in today, whereas when we have seen this problem elsewhere we still get indicators that the user has clicked on the remember me. I am sure you are clicking it, but something is not picking it up on either your computer or our server.

If it is exclusively to our site then the issue may be with cookies. You can flush these, but it will mean that you will most likely loose all your remembered sites and have to login to them all again, so any Hotmail accounts, other forums and the like (although you should stay logged in as normal to them once you have logged in again).

If you want to try this, from within IE8 you should click on tools -> Internet Options. Once here you should have a tabbed pop up, with the first tab "General" already selected, going down you will have the headings, Home page, Browsing history, .... Under Browsing history click "Delete..." a new pop up will appear. If we are a favourite (bookmarked website) you will need to untick "Preserve Favorites website data", and you will want "Temporary Internet files" and "Cookies" ticked. Although you needn't have "History", "Form data", "Passwords" and "InPrivate Filtering data" ticked. Then click on Delete. Hopefully that should get your browser remembering us.

My suggested solution is a little less dramatic, but still may be more than you want to try, and that is to install another browser, my preferred is Firefox it is what the site is designed in and I think it looks a lot better in that, and the map functions work quicker. There are many other options with Opera being an old favourite (although I am not a fan) and the new Google Chrome beginning to gather fans.

If you browse our site through that new Browser it should hopefully work better than IE8 which is still lagging a bit behind its competitors (as ever in my humble opinion).

I am happy to try and walk through the cookie solution in a way that will try and just delete our sites cookies although it will most likely take a bit of back and forthing on the forum (which I am happy to do but might end up being frustrating for you).

Sorry I can't be more helpful on this one.
    Last edited by Conrad; 08-04-2010 at 14:57. Reason: Because I hit send rather than preview, DOH....