Ads not shown when logged in
Page 23 of 28 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 ... LastLast

Thread: New pubs visited 2015

Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
    My best was 370 in 2013, but I've slowed down quite a bit since then. Not less drinking, but less of getting around to areas where I haven't been before. This year I'm on just 144.

Some trips planned for the last week of November to pick up some previously unvisited pubs in Leeds, Ampthill (near Bedford), York, Darlington, Stockton on Tees and Hornby (near Lancaster) should get me to about 170 for the year.
    Reached 171 with a 15 pub crawl yesterday. In York, I started with the new Leeds Brewery pub, the Eagle & Child, a couple of doors along from the Three-legged Mare. Next was the longer established Leeds Brewery pub, The Duke of York. Number three was just around the corner, Pivni. I also did Ye Old Shambles Tavern, though no one offered me a cheese sandwich. Next was the recently opened Pavement Vaults and finally in York The Three Tuns. Then it was back to the station for my train to Darlington.

In Darlo I headed for The Britannia Inn - the review by a one-poster in July is not strictly accurate. Yes, there are five hand pumps, but only Black Sheep Bitter and John Smiths Cask at the time of my visit. The Sheep was in good nick, but no sign of the promised three guests. Next was meant to be The Half Moon, but due to incomplete research I hadn't realised that Wednesday is their late opening day. I called in at The Quays instead, and then the Sam Smiths pub, The Glittering Star. Then back to the station for my next train, to Thornaby for Stockton on Tees.

At this point the rest of the day was thrown into jeopardy: a freight train broke down on some points outside Darlo station, effectively blocking all lines through the town. There was no information about how long it would take to clear, so after half an hour I got a refund on my pre-bought ticket and settled for doing the rest of the crawl in town - at least the Half Moon would be open soon. Just as I came out of the ticket office, however, there was an announcement: my train had made it through and was waiting at platform 3. I hastily bought another ticket and caught the train, arriving in Thornaby not too far behind schedule.

First stop was going to be The North Eastern, which advertises real ales, although What?ub says there are none. On passing the main window, it was clear that although there are four hand pumps, there are no beers on. I contemplated going in anyway, because it's a nice-looking pub, but I couldn't stomach the idea of drinking John Smiths Smooth Crap, so I gave it a miss. At The Sun Inn I found out that the bar manager there had previously been at the North Eastern, and it was him that tried to introduce real ales, without success. I also went in The Royal Oak and The Green Dragon, a very nice Sam's pub that appears to have been put together from several random rooms. Although there was a pub of the same name here many years ago (it's situated in Green Dragon Yard), it's not clear that the right derelict building was revived when the modern pub was created. This information came from the owner of Golden Smog, a micro-pub in an obscure yard off the High Street. Final stop in Stockton was Dr M'Gonigles Emporium, with a surprising five hand pumps.

On the way back through Darlington I just had time between trains to pop into The Old Vic. Fifteen pubs, 15 different beers, ranging in price from 90p for a half of Sam Smiths OBB in the Glittering Star to £1.85 for a half of Bootleg Urban Fox in the Three Tuns. Total for all beers was £22.00, and for trains £20.60. About the same as I would have paid to go to a football match, and much more enjoyable.
    Come On You Hatters!

Reached 171 with a 15 pub crawl yesterday. In York, I started with the new Leeds Brewery pub, the Eagle & Child, a couple of doors along from the Three-legged Mare. Next was the longer established Leeds Brewery pub, The Duke of York. Number three was just around the corner, Pivni. I also did Ye Old Shambles Tavern, though no one offered me a cheese sandwich. Next was the recently opened Pavement Vaults and finally in York The Three Tuns. Then it was back to the station for my train to Darlington.
    looking forward to reading the reviews
    "Do I know where hell is? hell is in hello"

I'll stay on me own

In York, I started with the new Leeds Brewery pub, the Eagle & Child
    I take it you've added this one to the site then. Me too, still waiting approval. There seems to be a bit of a backlog at the moment, I've still got one from the 1st November that hasn't been done.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackthorn View Post
    I take it you've added this one to the site then. Me too, still waiting approval. There seems to be a bit of a backlog at the moment, I've still got one from the 1st November that hasn't been done.
    Yes, I was surprised to see it hadn't been added and didn't see yours until after I'd done mine! It's also been added by Hondo and by aleandhearty!
    Come On You Hatters!

This Space For Hire

438 now after a quick trip to Chippenham after work today. Should be at 445 by Saturday after finishing a few around Westbury and starting some the other side of Swindon Jcn 15.

Being away in December for 10 days in Spain and France will lose days for UK pubs but should still make 450 by end of the year, doubt I'll push it to 475 unless I can get a couple of days in Bath City Centre in and nail another 20 or so.

Edged up to 322 this week with Bampton in Oxfordshire (and some of its surrounds) as well as a 15-pubber in the Clerkenwell environs, which was punctuated by some seriously bad pub muzak.

Another trip to London tomorrow should add another 10 or so to the list, muzak notwithstanding.

Get some gravy on it. Maldenman's Avatar
    Motspur Park or whichever pub I happen to be in at the time.

Now on 175, did 177 last year so if I don't beat that now there's an inquest due........ I do nowadays seem to heavily rely on binge trips away such as the York meet up, my Manchester trip and my earlier Durham/Newcastle foray. Those three account for around 70 of my total.
    Ok, maybe just for one......................

A surprise "Billy No Mates" night last night suddenly got me another 13 new pubs in Stockport and 1 more in Manchester, the brand new Cottonopolis.

Now on 196.
    A pub is for life not just for Christmas

We're not really 'ere! trainman's Avatar

Started the year with good intentions to keep a record of new visits, rapidly petered out so I can only claim those I committed to excel (or memory!) - 61 for sure (maybe 75 in reality).
    Like my school reports often said: could do better...

Quote Originally Posted by Delboy20 View Post
    Now on 161 for the year. Don't think I will make 200 but you never know !
    Up to 167 thanks to a couple of newbies in Brum and a day at the Good food show yesterday at the NEC. Managed top pop in both spoons there.

I am a salmon !!