Ads not shown when logged in

Thread: Wolverhampton

Default Wolverhampton

What are the best 8 real ale pubs in Wolverhampton to include in a crawl?
    I'll just stay till we've won the quiz...Or taken over the world...Whichever comes first

Well obviously the The Great Western, then probably the The Posada and the Lych Gate Tavern you could give Hogshead a go but then you need to go a bit further out to places like the excellent Combermere Arms and maybe the Clarendon Hotel; after that I'm struggling.

The GBG also has, The Chindit, Dog & Gun, Hail to the Ale, The Moon Under Water (JD Wetherspoon), The Newhampton, The Royal Oak, The Royal Oak and The Stile which I quite like.

Where's Soupy these days? He knows about Wolverhampton.

This Space For Hire gillhalfpint's Avatar

I did a lot of these on a crawl a few years back. Just checked the Stile reviews as when I walked to it in pouring rain I found no real ales on, and when I asked I was told they only put the ale on when there's a home game on. Seems to have improved on the ale front since then. Lovely looking pub though, worth a look in.
    Alcohol doesn't solve problems .... but then again, neither does milk.

I found the Posada a big disappointment. I was in the Moon Under Water the Saturday afternoon before last and it was hopeless as it was totally rammed due to the Xmas shoppers. If you were there after all this Xmas rubbish is over or early doors it would probably be OK. I would say the Lych Gate is a must. There is a bus stop outside the Moon Under Water where you can get a frequent number 1 bus which will take you to Sedgley and Upper Gornal where there are a few real treats. Of course a lot depends on whether you want to visit a whole raft of pubs or a select few.
    As far as the Great Western goes I am more than happy to spend several hours in there as I have done on many occasions!

If you're prepared to walk (or work out the buses) then it's a fair bet.

As mentioned above, the Combermere and Chindit are good little boozers. The Stile is a Banks house but a good old-fashioned pub nonetheless.

Frankly, plan two visits to the Great Western or spend a good deal of time in there in one go - it is the best place by a mile in terms of ale, interest and general ambience.

This Space For Hire gillhalfpint's Avatar

I liked the Combermere and Chindit when I went a few years ago. Combermere had a mantelpiece full to overflowing of souvenirs from all over the world. Think regulars travelling must have been bringing them back.
    Alcohol doesn't solve problems .... but then again, neither does milk.

Waterborne Beer Inspector Bucking Fastard's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gillhalfpint View Post
    I liked the Combermere and Chindit when I went a few years ago. Combermere had a mantelpiece full to overflowing of souvenirs from all over the world. Think regulars travelling must have been bringing them back.
    It's been a while since I've been to these two ,but I agree they are a good double header in that part of town.
    "Good people drink good beer" Hunter S Thompson