Ads not shown when logged in
Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 715161718 LastLast

Thread: The next Pubsgalore crawl.

This Space For Hire aleandhearty's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bucking Fastard View Post
    Was there a growing consensus on Derby next ? Would suit me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mobyduck View Post
    First Iv'e heard of it but ditto.
    Towards the end of Friday, thoughts were naturally turning to the next bash and Derby was mentioned as a strong contender (in Brigantes?). Nothing cast in stone, though. I'm sure it will debated first, regarding geographical fairness.
    'And where he supped the past lived still. And where he sipped the glass brimmed full' John Barleycorn, Carol Ann Duffy.

This Space For Hire aleandhearty's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Delboy20 View Post
    OK so that's 2 references to the "couple met in the Swan"

There must be a story here .... anyone ????
    Until we reached The Swan, we'd had no trouble whatsoever. In fact, we were warmly welcomed pretty much everywhere. However, this one couple took real objection to a large group descending on their local, during peak time. They were deeply unpleasant and insulting and just wouldn't let it drop. Dave and I tried to explain the ethos of the site and the fact that we celebrated pubs, but they were having none of it. Even when we unleashed 'old boots', who loves a good argument, they carried on ranting and raving. As most of us were outside a considerable amount of beer at this stage we were able to laugh it off, but it could have spoiled a fabulous day.
    'And where he supped the past lived still. And where he sipped the glass brimmed full' John Barleycorn, Carol Ann Duffy.

We're not really 'ere! trainman's Avatar

Well, glad I didn't run into that pair of charmers after 10 pints! Ok, ok, they may have thought the same...

Re Derby: we're heading there 09May

This Space For Hire Real Ale Ray's Avatar

Couple of photos from Friday, taken in the Golden Ball

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_2894.jpg 
Views:	229 
Size:	1.22 MB 
ID:	1199

Name:	100_2895.jpg 
Views:	203 
Size:	1.26 MB 
ID:	1200

Quote Originally Posted by Real Ale Ray View Post
    Couple of photos from Friday, taken in the Golden Ball

Name:	100_2894.jpg 
Views:	229 
Size:	1.22 MB 
ID:	1199

Name:	100_2895.jpg 
Views:	203 
Size:	1.26 MB 
ID:	1200
    Had you guys been drinking, by any chance?
    Come On You Hatters!

Get some gravy on it. Maldenman's Avatar
    Motspur Park or whichever pub I happen to be in at the time.

Pretty sure I didn't go in The Golden Ball, have no notes or photos, was it an off-piste pub?

I have to say that was a cracking few days with some amazing pubs, I'm sure York needs another visit to top my current selection up. Thanks to all involved in organising it and sorry Will couldn't make it. Back to work tomorrow, how crap is that?
    Ok, maybe just for one......................

Quote Originally Posted by Maldenman View Post
    Pretty sure I didn't go in The Golden Ball, have no notes or photos, was it an off-piste pub?
    At the back end of the crawl we visited the Swan, the Slip then a walk to the Golden Ball as we missed out the Old Ebor partly due to trains to catch. After the Golden Ball we headed for the Ackhorne, walked past the end of the lane but luckily bumped into Rex and Mrs Rat (I think) before going back into the Ackhorne. Then a number of us went to Brigantes for food but ended up in the Punchbowl as the wait was a bit long. Hope that helps jog some memories, I often find the end of these events gets a bit hazy even missing the station on one occasion due to "haziness".

Get some gravy on it. Maldenman's Avatar
    Motspur Park or whichever pub I happen to be in at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by oldboots View Post
    At the back end of the crawl we visited the Swan, the Slip then a walk to the Golden Ball as we missed out the Old Ebor partly due to trains to catch. After the Golden Ball we headed for the Ackhorne, walked past the end of the lane but luckily bumped into Rex and Mrs Rat (I think) before going back into the Ackhorne. Then a number of us went to Brigantes for food but ended up in the Punchbowl as the wait was a bit long. Hope that helps jog some memories, I often find the end of these events gets a bit hazy even missing the station on one occasion due to "haziness".
    That might have involved me as I bumped into Dave and Tammy and a few others, possibly you OB on Micklegate but by then Rex and Marian had bailed out. Stopped in the Ackhorne then went to Brigantes. I don't think I spoke to you or got introduced OB, unless I'm mistaken.
    Ok, maybe just for one......................

That might have involved me as I bumped into Dave and Tammy and a few others, possibly you OB on Micklegate but by then Rex and Marian had bailed out. Stopped in the Ackhorne then went to Brigantes. I don't think I spoke to you or got introduced OB, unless I'm mistaken.
    Yes, predictably quite confused by then. Marian and I hadn't bailed out yet, as I remember meeting Dave and Co coming the other way. Although Maldenman didn't know who he was with, or who he had spoken to, it is quite impressive that he was able to lead us all to the alleyway where the Ackhorne was located with unerring accuracy!

Myself and Big Steve went to the Golden Ball,It was on the list, and we were a little ahead of the main crowd,it was busy and only seemed to have one barperson active at the time and time itself was pressing at this point, and I did want to get to Brigantes, so after queuing for two minutes and no progress sadly had to move on without a drink,it looked a nice pub.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields