Ads not shown when logged in
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: *STOP PRESS* JDW new opening hours

A chap I knew would visit McDs on Friday ,using the drive through to purchase chips and chicken shapes (?) for his four kids.He realised that each of the chicken portions was consistently one short of the advertised number.After smouldering for a while he stopped in the car park ,went into the resturant and had it out with the manager.After being given his missing chicken pieces he made his way back to the car only to have the bottom fall out of the bag and scatter the contents across the tarmac. The wheels on his car mashed them to pulp on the way out.
    Beware of angering members of the spirit world, the patron saint of McDs has eyes everywhere.

Fully paid up beer belly Farway's Avatar

Seeing the above post about drive in McD reminded me of our odd confrontation whilst working in Florida, our condo [yeah, MPs eat your hearts out] was opposite a shopping area, with a McD drive through, or is "thru"?
    Anyway we just walked across and tried to order, which caused consternation, people walking and a funny accent. We gave up and went in whatever the supermarket place adjacent was called & bought a ready cooked chicken

Wandering, or wondering, or wandering in.

Quote Originally Posted by rpadam View Post
    Refugees from 'another place' will remember one of the asylum escapees asserting strenuously that Wetherspoons were only ever located next to McDonalds...
    I remember that debate and have to say I thought there was some truth in it. It may be one of those apocryphal stories but I remember hearing that in the early years Tim Martin, rather than doing the research himself, just looked for premises in the general vicinity of a McDonalds. Apparently McD’s, who'd spent millions on market research to find the optimum sites, twigged what was going on and got a bit pissed off about it. If it’s true it does show how astute he was even back then.

Banned

Smile

JDW following MacDonalds seems to be true. In London (where tube/railway stations invariably have both nearby) and the South East, which I know well, I can think of only one town with a JDW and no MacDonalds - Leatherhead. Many towns have MacDonalds and no JDW, yet...

Pussy Galore No 1 Oggwyn Trench's Avatar

No Mcdonalds in Market Drayton , but there is a JDW the Hippadrome , the first JDW in Telford was the Church Wickets in Dawley miles from any Mcdonalds though the Thomas Bottfield is near enough under the Mcdonalds at the town centre , the 2 in Shrewsbury are at the other end of town from Mcdonalds as well
    Theres a Man with a Mullet going Mad with a Mallet in Millets !

Fully paid up beer belly Farway's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by oskar wells View Post
    JDW following MacDonalds seems to be true. In London (where tube/railway stations invariably have both nearby) and the South East, which I know well, I can think of only one town with a JDW and no MacDonalds - Leatherhead. Many towns have MacDonalds and no JDW, yet...
    Waterlooville, Hants. Although as yet no JDW there is a McD. Rumoured that JDW is going to open opposite McD and McD is going to go elswhere. It is only a small McD, and the town centre seems to be either chartiy or coffeee shops, at least one will never starve there

Former Pubs Galore Coder

Please ignore oskar wells, it a user who has previously posted on these forums under the name of taurus and devonaler. I have banned this new user, as ever please feel free to PM me if you want more information.

Quote Originally Posted by Millay View Post
    I remember that debate and have to say I thought there was some truth in it. It may be one of those apocryphal stories but I remember hearing that in the early years Tim Martin, rather than doing the research himself, just looked for premises in the general vicinity of a McDonalds. Apparently McD’s, who'd spent millions on market research to find the optimum sites, twigged what was going on and got a bit pissed off about it. If it’s true it does show how astute he was even back then.
    I'm surprised that anybody has fallen for this, a classic piece of faulty logic.

McDonalds look for sites where there are lots of people (some of whom might wish to buy fast food).

Wetherspoons look for sites where there are lots of people (some of whom might wish to buy beer).

Therefore, Wetherspoons are following McDonalds?

Er, no. They are both looking for places where there are lots of people...

You could equally well say that McDonalds are following train stations. Or bus stations? Or cinemas? Or Marks & Spencer? Or Boots? Or (insert obvious location of your own choice)...

I have noticed McDs, BKs and Pizza Hut on small retail estates. The type which may have Lidl /Aldi, Comet,BlockBuster, Carpet and pet stores. I find these places in the edge of towns or large housing developements.The modern day village stores ?. There may be a pre existing pub closeby,which has been enlarged, but I have not noticed a tendancy to build new ones. In my area the pubs tend to be Marstons or Greenking ( no surprise there ) and serve the local population and make a decent job of it.
    JDWs do not appear to have migrated so far from the town centres yet but there is a shortage of monumental buildings in this type of area.
    Perhaps JDWs will take over GreenKing just to prove the urban myth true....Nahh...lets keep a bit of choice however slight the differance.

This Space For Hire gillhalfpint's Avatar

JDW too busy taking over Chicago Rock premises and changing them to Lloyds No 1.

Stafford and Redditch so far I hear.