Ads not shown when logged in
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dodgy Path

Default Dodgy Path

Looking at one of my recent postings, I noticed a little green marker beneath where it says that I am, or perhaps have, a "Glass Half Full". Hovering the cursor over it revealed that I am "on a distinguished road" - and so is everyone else apparently. What's that about? "Rex Rattus is in a dimly lit backstreet", or is "on a dodgy path" or "on the road to nowhere" seems far more appropriate somehow, perhaps for others as well. But no doubt I am missing something, as usual.

Former Pubs Galore Coder

Its a little known feature of the forum, it is supposed to indicate who are the most appreciated members, an alternative to post count I guess.

Underneath posts when you are logged in there should be a sheriffs badge () if you click on that you can add or subtract from a members reputation. If the member receives enough then they move on from being on a distinguished road. We can set all of those in the same way as the post count ones.

I tend to use it whenever someone posts a good post and I cant think of a reply I will add to their reputation and put a comment about the post into the addition.

It is a nice feature, but I am not sure it works really well on a purely chat forum, possibly better for trade forums.

Some of us on here have reputations we would rather not shout about.

Wandering, or wondering, or wandering in.

Quote Originally Posted by Conrad View Post
    Its a little known feature of the forum, it is supposed to indicate who are the most appreciated members, an alternative to post count I guess.

Underneath posts when you are logged in there should be a sheriffs badge () if you click on that you can add or subtract from a members reputation. If the member receives enough then they move on from being on a distinguished road. We can set all of those in the same way as the post count ones.
    I'd noticed this, plus the 'xx members found this recommendation helpful' on the main site and the 'rate this thread' function and the use of tags to better identify posts during a search of the forums. I think there are a few things that are available but are not in general use.

Get some gravy on it. Maldenman's Avatar
    Motspur Park or whichever pub I happen to be in at the time.

Probably not used much Conrad because we didn't know, ok well I didn't. I am a member of a football forum (my club's) where there is a +/- rating system for people's posts. It can however get a bit silly and even offensive at times, so I personally do not use that option. I have however just taken the trouble here to give Rex a plus for bringing the facility to our attention!

Former Pubs Galore Coder

Quote Originally Posted by Millay View Post
    I'd noticed this, plus the 'xx members found this recommendation helpful' on the main site and the 'rate this thread' function and the use of tags to better identify posts during a search of the forums. I think there are a few things that are available but are not in general use.
    Hopefully as the site gets more used, and we on here chat about things, some of them will come to prominence and we will improve others. I am just trying to recode the xx members found this recommendation helpful, I am hoping to raise the visibility of it in a upcoming iteration.

Quote Originally Posted by Maldenman View Post
    Probably not used much Conrad because we didn't know, ok well I didn't. I am a member of a football forum (my club's) where there is a +/- rating system for people's posts. It can however get a bit silly and even offensive at times, so I personally do not use that option. I have however just taken the trouble here to give Rex a plus for bringing the facility to our attention!
    I'm really not convinced it really works fantastically on a purely chat forum, the one thing I do like about it is that new posters can earn recognition from it without having to go the post count route. Post counts are fun, but should not be an impedance to enjoying the forum.

As with anything else round here though, if we notice it being abused we can change how it works or moderate it.

Wandering, or wondering, or wandering in.

Quote Originally Posted by Conrad View Post
    As with anything else round here though, if we notice it being abused we can change how it works or moderate it.
    Could you do something about my liver then

Former Pubs Galore Coder

Sadly traditional wisdom is that moderation is the best way to deal with that.

I thought you were just preserving it Millay!
    *insert something clever/humorous/interesting here*

Thanks for the explanation Conrad. As you say, I don't think it's a "must have" for the forums.

And thanks for the giving me a plus, MM. That's a pint I owe you. I'll drink it for you in The Atty tonight. Of course you might think that if it's in The Atty I'm welcome to it!

"I thought you were just preserving it Millay!" - preserving it for the benefit of medical science, or just pickling it? "Moderation" - a non-starter then!?