Ads not shown when logged in
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Beer of the Week (w/e 4 Apr 2010)

Pussy Galore No 1 Oggwyn Trench's Avatar

Well after a crawl round the Hell on Earth pubs wise that is Wellington , 8 pubs only 2 decent pints i returned to Oakengates to find the Station was having a Pictish Weekend , Crystal , Maelstrom , Rakau ,Atlas , Sonnet and Manc`y Mild , the Maelstrom was very good but the Rakau was even better so thats my BOTW Pictish Rakau
    Theres a Man with a Mullet going Mad with a Mallet in Millets !

We're not really 'ere! trainman's Avatar

What an excellent sporting (yester-)day with a marvelous sequence of footy results, all washed down with Darkstar Hophead and a side of the splendidly named Hammerpot Bottle Wreck Porter (in the Traf). Hophead gets my vote for botw.

This Space For Hire gillhalfpint's Avatar

Now let me think, we had such a good day round Stamford, but BOTW has changed now to Nethergate Mary's Mild. At 4.5% it went down a treat. Notes have it as a deep ruby mild full of rich malty chocolate aromas and a soft goldings hop finish.

Funny how often the first beer of the day is the one that makes the biggest impression. Clean palate I suppose.

Church End Rugby Ale at 5% was an enjoyable deep red bitter, and Jarrow Slake at 4.3% a golden amber ale. Great to see colour in the ales, and not all pale, straw ones. Will keep to the Nethergate Mary's Mild as BOTW though.

Quote Originally Posted by ROBCamra View Post
    I had a pint of Mandrill from Brass Monkey in the Baum last night, not as good as the previous beers from this brewery in my opinion, I also had a pint Fyne Maverick which was also OK.

Next up was Warwickshire Ffiagra (yes it is a double ff) which was very good with plenty of body (well the pump clip certainly has )

But the best beer of the evening was definitely Hawkshead Windermere Pale which went down so well that I had to have another.
    Had a good one from Elland last night Demons Eye and Hawkshead Organic Stout was good as well but this weeks BOTW is going to be Motueka IPA from Acorn Brewery. At 5% it's pretty close to real IPA strength and tastes stronger.
    A pub is for life not just for Christmas

Quote Originally Posted by Oggwyn Trench View Post
    Well after a crawl round the Hell on Earth pubs wise that is Wellington , 8 pubs only 2 decent pints i returned to Oakengates to find the Station was having a Pictish Weekend , Crystal , Maelstrom , Rakau ,Atlas , Sonnet and Manc`y Mild , the Maelstrom was very good but the Rakau was even better so thats my BOTW Pictish Rakau
    I still have trouble getting a pint of Pictish in its hometown and yet the Station in Oakengates regularly has it on.

Richard Sutton you should sell some to your local customers
    A pub is for life not just for Christmas

Pussy Galore No 1 Oggwyn Trench's Avatar

I still have trouble getting a pint of Pictish in its hometown and yet the Station in Oakengates regularly has it on.

Richard Sutton you should sell some to your local customers
    Yes the Station usually has Pictish on at least one a fortnight , its so popular with the locals they have regular Pictish weekends like this week when all six guests are Pictish .
    Theres a Man with a Mullet going Mad with a Mallet in Millets !

Been a very thin few weeks for me due to one thing and another (including a prolonged dose of the Hopwas Lurgy), but fortunately this one finished on the up.

Had a very good pint of Moorlands Black Cat in a Nickolson pub on the south bank of the Thames on thursday night, and then wandered into my local cricket club, which does Fullers, for a Jazz evening on Friday, to find they had Gales Seafarers on.
    As well as a very good session beer, being a light amber ale at 3.6%, its also a feel good pint as Fullers donate £5 from every barrel sold to the charity for those brave soles who made their trade on the sea..
    Work is the curse of the drinking Class - Oscar Wilde

Wandering, or wondering, or wandering in.

Although it caused me a couple of mornings feeling not so good, I'm going for Fullers 1845 as my BotW.

Quote Originally Posted by trainman View Post
    What an excellent sporting (yester-)day with a marvelous sequence of footy results,
    I'm glad someone enjoyed it.

Quite a few beers to choose from this week but honours go to an old favourite, Otter Ale at the Henry Addington in Canary Wharf.

This Space For Hire aleandhearty's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gillhalfpint View Post
    Funny how often the first beer of the day is the one that makes the biggest impression. Clean palate I suppose.
    How true, Gill. I'm finding the older I get the beers I drink later in a session are becoming less and less distinguishable. Shrinking numbers of taste buds and all that.

this weeks BOTW is going to be Motueka IPA from Acorn Brewery. At 5% it's pretty close to real IPA strength and tastes stronger.
    Can't argue with that ROB. It was mine also three weeks ago. I love Acorn beers.

Had a bit of a catharsis, in Leeds, on Thursday night, taking in The Hop, The Duck and Drake, The Palace and The Adelphi. Narrowed down my choice for BOTW to three contenders: Phoenix 'Black Bee', Jaipur IPA and the winner Salamander 'Golden Salamander'. Lots of citrus hop character and a lingering dry, bitter finish. Any beer that lessens the impact of Jaipur (which I had to follow) must be a good beer!
    'And where he supped the past lived still. And where he sipped the glass brimmed full' John Barleycorn, Carol Ann Duffy.