Ads not shown when logged in

Thread: Peterborough Pub Crawl. Suggestions please.

This Space For Hire gillhalfpint's Avatar

Default Peterborough Pub Crawl. Suggestions please.

We are off to Peterborough on Thursday and plan to do fests I have heard about at Charters, and the Green Man in Stamford.

While there we would like to do a crawl of Peterborough and Stamford pubs.

Any suggestions welcome. We have the GBG for starters, but there are often brill pubs that don't make the guide.

Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by gillhalfpint View Post
    We are off to Peterborough on Thursday and plan to do fests I have heard about at Charters, and the Green Man in Stamford.

While there we would like to do a crawl of Peterborough and Stamford pubs.

Any suggestions welcome. We have the GBG for starters, but there are often brill pubs that don't make the guide.

Cheers.
    Haven't been to Peterborough for around 9 years since I went to Peterborough Vs Barnet match. I can recall pub by London Road Bridge near the ground but that was 9 years ago. I can't remember name of the pub.

For Stamford, I think there is pub called Queen's Head or Arms and had few handpulls on but again haven't been back since 2004.

Sorry Can't help you there mate
    J.D Wetherspoon = Home of Hoppy: The Silk Kite, Tamworth.. http://www.tamworthblog.co.uk/2009/0...-blogs-review/

Spritzer Swallower

Charters is a must!! A floating beer festival! The Coalheavers is in the GBG but personally I thought it was awful - quite rundown, but that was a couple of years ago.

Danny

We're not really 'ere! trainman's Avatar

Well Gill, I might have suggested Brewery Tap, Charters Bar, Coalheavers, Palmerston Arms, Wortley Almshouses, possibly the off-track Hand & Heart or the (not bad spoons) Drapers Arms, but I see you've already done the lot! We also tried Goodbarns Yard, but it was closed on the day.
    Palmerston had undergone structural change (for the worse imo) on my 2nd visit, but still a good beer range.

I had wondered whether I could reach the Boat by walking along the canal from Whittlesea station but that question, to date, remains unanswered, as does the reason the place is Whittlesey, but the station Whittlesea. ??

My masterplan is Brewery Tap, Charters, Cherry Tree (new GBG entry), Coalheavers, Drapers, Hand & Heart, Palmerston Arms, and Wortley Almshouses.

We had Goodbarns Yard on our 2008 crawl but never got there, probably for the same reason as you missed it.

Stamford looks like being George Hotel, Bull and Swan, Otters Pocket, Green Man, Hit or Miss, Jolly Brewer, Mama Liz, Dolphin, Tobie Norris, and Kings Head as I have picked up the crawl with map in Beer Around 'ere

Whatever happens, we are in for a good Easter what with fests at Charters and the Green Man too, and we have 4 days available to do them all.

I may not get round too many of my planned pubs as I have just checked the beer festival lists for Charters and Green Man.

I need 19 from Charters and 28 from Green Man lists. Plan to do Peterborough Friday as footy at home to Newcastle Saturday I believe.

Hi all,

I went to London Road for a night match years ago and we went in a pub right by the ground. We got off a coach and it was the first pub we saw but for the life of me I can't remember the name. It has bugged me for years so any suggestions any one ??

Cheers,

Del.

We had a great time in Peterborough today.

Hand & Heart, a short bus ride from the centre. Enjoyed Elland Priviledge and Tydd Steam Scoundrel.
    It is very much a community local, and has 2 rooms and a corridor with serving hatch.

Cherry Tree on Oundle Road appeared more of a food place as only 2 occupied tables free of dining tablecloths and cutlery. As cloths appeared to be paper I didn't want to mess one up with a wet glass so we stood with our drinks. TV screen with news on but it was quiet. Enjoyed their Digfield March Hare. Will be my BOTW probably.

Palmerston April opening hours from 3pm meant we had to miss it.

Coalheavers just off London Road is a quiet pub that serves excellent ales. There were a lot of games on a table and no TV or music. Had Camerons White Rabbit and Milton Bombers Drop that is a house beer.

Finally Charters for the beer festival. Marquee set up with beers on stillage, and more on the barge downstairs. We started in the marquee enjoying 6 beers from Bartrams, Blindmans, Cottage, Moles, Nelson and Holt before moving into the barge to get warm. It was packed in there, and quite a jovial atmosphere. We had beer from Harwich Town, Green Tye, Abbeydale and Red Squirrel here, all in good condition.

This was a great day out, and hopefully tomorrow in Stamford will be just as good.

We're not really 'ere! trainman's Avatar

Palmerston April opening hours from 3pm meant we had to miss it.
    That is very poor business sense from Palmerston. I'd be furious getting over there only to find it closed.

This was a great day out, and hopefully tomorrow in Stamford will be just as good.
    You do know how jealous we all are of your lifestyle Gill? Have a great day in Stamford, i look forward to your reportage in due course...