Ads not shown when logged in

Thread: Just Another Closure

Default Just Another Closure

http://www.kentonline.co.uk/malling/...e-co-op-25406/

Enterprise (or as I like to think of it The Provisional Wing of the Salvation Army) has successfully removed another den of Satan from the World and saved yet more souls from twin evils of social interaction (less chance of catching ebola if you don't mix with other humans) and convivial drinking (far better to get drunk on duty-free vodka in the comfort of your own home). Thank goodness the supermarket that will now be housed in this historic edifice will sell cut-price canned fizzy lager so that Snodland's youth can imbibe it cheaply in front of the television without the inconvenience of having to talk to fellow villagers and have your parents know what you get up to. Far better for our pensioners to save their money so they can spend longer in a better care home than waste their lives enjoying things like darts and dominos. I would have prefered to see another nail bar or a community centre for a religious group opposed to the beer-and-pork-scratchings combo, but you can't have everything.

Congratulations Enterprise - your jihad is going well, and I hope your shareholders take pride in what you are doing for this country as they spend their dividends.

Sadly the Permitted Development orders allow pubs to be changed into shops etc without planning permission so it's hardly surprising that Borough Councillors didn't ask the locals about this, as if that would make a difference anyway. The locals may be able to produce enough bad publicity for the Co-Op to make them change their mind but that's debatable.

So should Mr Chapman be elected will he vote for an Article 4 directive on this Pub? Article 4 is about the only way councils can have an influence over this kind of change, the trouble is they won't do it as they fear being challenged and having to pay compensation even though nobody has yet had to pay any compensation.

I dare say the pub could be successful once released from the dead but grasping hand of a PubCo.

Quote Originally Posted by ETA View Post
    http://www.kentonline.co.uk/malling/...e-co-op-25406/

Enterprise (or as I like to think of it The Provisional Wing of the Salvation Army) has successfully removed another den of Satan from the World and saved yet more souls from twin evils of social interaction (less chance of catching ebola if you don't mix with other humans) and convivial drinking (far better to get drunk on duty-free vodka in the comfort of your own home). Thank goodness the supermarket that will now be housed in this historic edifice will sell cut-price canned fizzy lager so that Snodland's youth can imbibe it cheaply in front of the television without the inconvenience of having to talk to fellow villagers and have your parents know what you get up to. Far better for our pensioners to save their money so they can spend longer in a better care home than waste their lives enjoying things like darts and dominos. I would have prefered to see another nail bar or a community centre for a religious group opposed to the beer-and-pork-scratchings combo, but you can't have everything.

Congratulations Enterprise - your jihad is going well, and I hope your shareholders take pride in what you are doing for this country as they spend their dividends.
    I have sent a message to the local Camra group who have since updated What Pub and are going to raise 'change of use' objections. Hopefully not too late.