Ads not shown when logged in
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pub Of The Month - October 2014

Default Pub Of The Month - October 2014

A pub is for life not just for Christmas

Have been lucky enough to visit a good few excellent pubs in the past month,and several would have taken the prize in a different month and may do so in the future, but the one that really turned my head this month was The Masons Arms, a good looking pub inside and out and and ticked all the boxes including the beer, will certainly be revisited.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

Waterborne Beer Inspector Bucking Fastard's Avatar

Organ Grinder,Loughborough

Beeston has some great pubs ,but this place managed to top them.Excellent ale quality,friendly and lively I find it very hard to leave,and will be back shortly.There is a sign on the door saying "No pub crawls and no fancy dress " but I cant believe they would turn away a PuG visitation .It may just have been more PC that having a sign saying "No students" !
    "Good people drink good beer" Hunter S Thompson

Despite my visit to Wales nothing (apart from the Wolverhampton Great Western on the way back) topped the Rising Sun in Berkhamsted. This is a great unspoilt pub away from the town centre on the banks of the canal. Although it's away from the centre it is still quite close to the Railway Station. It only sells up to six beers so may be better described as a cider house as I think the geezer behind the bar said they had over twenty.
    I gave it a ten and wish I had left more time to stay but will definitely return giving Milton Keynes a miss and maybe trying the ciders.

POTM The Rising Sun Berkhamsted

A difficult choice this month with visits to Sheffield & Newcastle the KIT, Fat Cat & Shakespeare in Sheffield excelled as usual.

The Crown Posada, Bridge (both of them) and the City Tavern in Newcastle were very good.

I'm going for one of two newly visited bars in Newcastle.

The Trent House was great if you like student pubs.

But the winner is going to be The Hop & Cleaver. A brand new bar getting everything right.

I had 4 pints in here over our 2 days in Newcastle and given the competition that's a testament to how much I liked it.
    A pub is for life not just for Christmas

I completely agree with Mr Fastard on The Organ Grinder but to add variety, POTM goes to The Star in Beeston.
    Refurbished and reopened earlier this year it offers a great range of ales and combined with The Victoria and The Crown makes Beeston well worth a visit.

I'll stay on me own

It was hard to make up my mind for this months Pub of the Month,having been in 44 new pubs plus doing some of Nottinghams better pubs during the month.

It came down to a choice between the Salutation in Nottingham,the Dolphin in Hackney and the Abdication in Arnold,the cheese and onion cob for a pound swung it,

My pub of the month for October goes to The Abdication a really nice micro pub.
    We are all equal,but some are more equal than others

Quote Originally Posted by Al 10000 View Post
    It was hard to make up my mind for this months Pub of the Month,having been in 44 new pubs plus doing some of Nottinghams better pubs during the month.
    Yes, I know the feeling. I went in at least 17 different pubs in the first two weeks, and a slightly crazy 35 in the second half of the month - most of these not new to me: I only did 16 "new" pubs in October. Of these, I liked Cutlers Arms in Rotherham, recently re-opened by Chantry Brewery; The Foresters Arms in Coverdale, North Yorkshire, saved from closure by a co-operative formed by the villagers; The Beer Engine in Skipton, a new micropub; and The Bell & Castle Inn in Derby, recently given a new lease of life by local businessman, Alan Kilkenny.

However, having also been into local favourites such as The Blake Hotel, Kelham Island Tavern and The Sheaf View, to name but three, it's difficult to make any of these newcomers my pub of the month. So I'm going to go for my home-from-home, The Bricklayers Arms in Luton: there's always a great selection of beers in excellent condition, including a MILD, and the Brickies is handy for the station and almost worth a visit to Luton in its own right, even if the mighty Hatters are not playing at home.
    Come On You Hatters!

Wonder of wonders, I actually went into 12 pubs last month, some more than once. From such a feast,I commend two:The Old Hill Inn, and this pub-http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/42647/ (The Chequers, Ledsham).
    Both are fine pubs, but my vote goes to the Chequers, if only because it stocked a Yorkshire grown green hop ale.
    Last edited by Wittenden; 04-11-2014 at 08:40.
    "At that moment I would have given a kingdom, not for champagne or hock and soda, or hot coffee but for a glass of beer" Marquess Curzon of Kedlestone, Viceroy of India.

Unlike some a fairly easy choice: The Beer Engine visited a few days after Will L'. Tiny but perfectly formed.