Ads not shown when logged in
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is the Add Pub feature working ?

Quote Originally Posted by ETA View Post
    I was wondering whether it is working at all at the moment - nothing seems to have been added since 31 October, unless there is a problem with the activity page.
    I've got one from October 23rd. It is a club but sells real ale, can be entered with a CAMRA membership card, has two beer festivals a year open to anyone and has a review and a picture. This is more than can be said for some of the Essex night clubs I've encountered on the site during the last week or so.

This Space For Hire

I have got a few outstanding since early November onwards. I only add open pubs so when you navigate through the submitted pubs weblink it's hard to ascertain how many new pubs can be getting added/missed, although a fair few closed ones get added to.

I'm also awaiting a closure that was ages old so I cancelled it and resubmitted and still not closed.

Liverpool Brewdog seems to have been added a fair few times by various members.

http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/newpubs/28263/ is actually just a new name for Cross Inn Avening so that's a pointless waste of Dave's time too in clearing the backlog when a simple name change request can be submitted.

Currently about 200 pubs to be reviewed and added although a fair few duplicates of same pubs by same members and others.
    Last edited by bcfczuluarmy; 29-12-2014 at 18:44.

Quote Originally Posted by bcfczuluarmy View Post

Currently about 200 pubs to be reviewed and added although a fair few duplicates of same pubs by same members and others.
    How do you find this information? You mentioned a "submitted pubs weblink" - can you say where it is?

Quote Originally Posted by bcfczuluarmy View Post

http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/newpubs/28263/ is actually just a new name for Cross Inn Avening so that's a pointless waste of Dave's time too in clearing the backlog when a simple name change request can be submitted.
    You and I know that but there are new reviewers and some older ones that as far as I know never look at these forums.
    How could this new reviewer possibly know what she should have done?

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by Rex_Rattus View Post
    How do you find this information? You mentioned a "submitted pubs weblink" - can you say where it is?
    Start with adding http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/newpubs/28263/ in your web browser and just change the numbers (last 3 only really needed) until you get a 404 error which means the new pub number hasn't been added yet so you've got to the latest one suggested with the number previously entered assuming that makes sense. 28387/ was the latest new pub added so anything above will give new pubs but if you go down to 28200/ you'll be in the realm of approved new pubs so redirected to new weblink.

Have fun and spot the multiple Liverpool Brew Dog enteries playing with digits.
    Last edited by bcfczuluarmy; 29-12-2014 at 23:01.

In this case I don't think it's as difficult as you might suppose. The Queen Matilda Tavern is clearly not a new pub; one look at the photo of the Cross Inn makes that crystal clear and Carole Paish knows the pub as she has submitted some nice internal photographs with the only living being in them the pub cat. She may even be the new landlady. Having taken the trouble to access Pubs Galore do we suppose that she didn't bother to look at the Cross Inn page before going through the add pub process? The Cross Inn wasn't closed, so a search on "Avening" would have brought up the two pubs that are there. I reckon that the obvious place to look to change a pub's name is the "change details" button under the name. We know that the only thing you can do there is set up a location or close/open the pub, but it does say for any other changes go to the forum, and there's a link that takes you to the forum with "name changes" at the top of the list.

I guess the casual user might well conclude at that stage that it's too much of a fag to register for the forum just to change a name, and I can understand that. Obviously it would be better if there was a third "change name" button in the change details area, but I guess that falls in the "too difficult" category. Also, in the past I've had a bit of difficulty tracking down a closed pub, when it's re-opened under a new name. Now I'm more familiar with the search facilities (which I actually think are very good - they compare very favourably with WhatPub's) it's a lot easier, but I can readily see that a casual user might well fail to find the closed pub.

I think the process that bcfczuluarmy describes might help some of us from submitting new pubs that have already been submitted, although it seems very cumbersome and presumably not designed for that purpose. Of the three new pubs that I have pending (Kennington, Long Pond, One Over The Ait) the latter two had both already been submitted by two other regular users. So, this has all been useful to me at least.

Quote Originally Posted by ETA View Post
    I was wondering whether it is working at all at the moment - nothing seems to have been added since 31 October, unless there is a problem with the activity page.
    Even worse for closed pubs. I have one pending from 3rd July.

Quote Originally Posted by AlanH View Post
    Even worse for closed pubs. I have one pending from 3rd July.
    I think Dave may have put a hold on closed pubs. I know he was inundated with them at one time, and his view may be that the Closed Pubs website is a more appropriate location for them. (This is just supposition, I have no idea if he has implemented this as a policy.)
    Come On You Hatters!

Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
    I think Dave may have put a hold on closed pubs. I know he was inundated with them at one time, and his view may be that the Closed Pubs website is a more appropriate location for them. (This is just supposition, I have no idea if he has implemented this as a policy.)
    It seems the "Closed Pubs Website" only deals with England. Mine is in Wales!

I would be sad to see the historical closed pubs not updated on PuG although I know some people don't like it (or are not bothered about it).

Quote Originally Posted by ROBCamra View Post
    Yes it is, but us monkeys don't have the power to do those.

Only Organ Grinder Dave has the permissions to add new pubs.
    The monkeys are doing an excellent job, so perhaps Dave should buy extra bananas and dish out more jobs!