Ads not shown when logged in
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Whats you Favourite Wetherspoons

Fully paid up beer belly Farway's Avatar

Not a great 'spoons lover, but much in line with reasons given by Alesonly, mine is the White Swan in Portsmouth. Listed building, can't knock it about therefore, and to be fair to 'spoons, they have saved a losing, closed, pub and made it into a pleasant venue much as it was for much of the past century

This Space For Hire gillhalfpint's Avatar

I go along with the Babington in Deby for ale choice, and the screen with all details of the ales with colour coding from light to dark beers.

For most astonishing the Imperial in Walsall for taking a pump clip off. I asked for a beer, and he confirmed with the other chap (yes - there were 2 of them) that it had just gone. He whipped the clip off sharpish, I got up off the floor to find he was putting the beer on the nexrt pump on. Not yet available notice was removed. I was amazed. Never having seen this before, I asked about it, and it seems while Walsall fest was on, they were trying to keep 5 guests on at all times. When one finished, there was always another ready to be put on.

That should go down a bomb as a staff suggestion for the whole network.

The only one I've rated as an '8' is the Babington, but some of these come close (admittedly, some more for the architecture than the beer):

Briar Rose, Crosse Keys, Edward Rayne, Flying Boat, Flying Standard, Friar Penketh, Opera House, Penderel's Oak, Picture Palace, Sennockian, Swan Inn, Union Rooms

Quote Originally Posted by gillhalfpint View Post
    I go along with the Babington in Deby for ale choice, and the screen with all details of the ales with colour coding from light to dark beers.

For most astonishing the Imperial in Walsall for taking a pump clip off. I asked for a beer, and he confirmed with the other chap (yes - there were 2 of them) that it had just gone. He whipped the clip off sharpish, I got up off the floor to find he was putting the beer on the nexrt pump on. Not yet available notice was removed. I was amazed. Never having seen this before, I asked about it, and it seems while Walsall fest was on, they were trying to keep 5 guests on at all times. When one finished, there was always another ready to be put on.

That should go down a bomb as a staff suggestion for the whole network.
    The Imperial was a good Wetherspoon's when it had the big dinosaur in the middle of the pub. I think it still has a woolly mammoth on the balcony but the dinosaur gave it character. One of my least favourite is the Square Peg in Birmingham. Yuk. The Briar Rose isn't bad though - it has some stiff competition in the form of the Wellington, further up Bennett's Hill
    Waes hael!

Quote Originally Posted by Farway View Post
    Ah, did you notice the Welsh & English versions? http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/54167/

I never went inside BTW

I have visited there 3 times but never noticed. I am not sure what the reviewer is on about.

Thanks for pointing it out
    J.D Wetherspoon = Home of Hoppy: The Silk Kite, Tamworth.. http://www.tamworthblog.co.uk/2009/0...-blogs-review/

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Ven View Post
    One of my least favourite is the Square Peg in Birmingham. Yuk. The Briar Rose isn't bad though - it has some stiff competition in the form of the Wellington, further up Bennett's Hill
    I have to agree with you there, Square Peg is pretty awful for JDW's standards, too many customers eating and too many drunkards. But I can understand why as Square Peg is just off main bus station in Brum

Briar Rose is not too bad but waiting time for drink is too long and sometimes 10 to 15 mins to my turn to order. Nice Gent toilets BTW. Of course I would go to Wellys anytime over Briar Rose. (i can't believe I said that! )
    J.D Wetherspoon = Home of Hoppy: The Silk Kite, Tamworth.. http://www.tamworthblog.co.uk/2009/0...-blogs-review/

Quote Originally Posted by Rex_Rattus View Post
    and get back to his proper job of harrassing greengrocer's.
    What's the missing word? What item of a greengrocer's was the esteemed Commissioner harrassing? I think we should be told!

Anyhoo... not a great fan of JDW but I'll agree with ROBCamra and say the Winter Gardens in Harrogate is outstanding, I was in the other night and the service was good, the beer was good and the surroundings magnificent. For number 2 I'm torn between the Counting House in George Square, Glasgow, or the Cricketers in Ipswich. I have a very long list of poor JDWs if anyone's interested?

Quote Originally Posted by oldboots View Post
    I have a very long list of poor JDWs if anyone's interested?
    Er.. please don't... seriously don't!

The Moon under the Water, Manchester. Who cares what the beer is like. From 4.30 pm on a Friday the girls start to flock like starlings.I could sit there until hunger drove me to seek sustenance just drinking a bottle of wine and ogling. Unhappy memories of Llandudno, they tried to sell me bad whiskey and argue the toss. The ones in Worcester aint bad and The Kings Fee in Hereford is pretty good all told.

Quote Originally Posted by Alesonly View Post
    Whats your Favourite Two Wetherspoons Pubs and why. Mine are The Gate House at Highgate and The Tally Ho at North Finchley. Both of which are very old style traditional Pubs ( Ex Charringtons I think ) not conversions and they retain some of their character making them feel more like a proper Pubs. This is what makes them the best two for me plus they have not been wreaked like they would have been if turned into ghastly gasto restaurants.
    I saw the thread title and thought of the Gate House and then when I read two pubs at the start of the thread I thought of the Tally Ho - snap!

I'm not a big Spoons fan, but I do think that they are a lot better than they used to be, maybe they are getting better or I'm getting older and less affluent.
    Last edited by Strongers; 27-03-2010 at 22:49. Reason: oypt
    WE ARE THE BREADMEN - UP THE BEES