Ads not shown when logged in
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Whats you Favourite Wetherspoons

Default Whats you Favourite Wetherspoons

Whats your Favourite Two Wetherspoons Pubs and why. Mine are The Gate House at Highgate and The Tally Ho at North Finchley. Both of which are very old style traditional Pubs ( Ex Charringtons I think ) not conversions and they retain some of their character making them feel more like a proper Pubs. This is what makes them the best two for me plus they have not been wreaked like they would have been if turned into ghastly gasto restaurants.
    Don't You just hate Pubs that say
    ( We don't stock any Real Ales as theres Just no call for it.)

Former Pubs Galore Coder

Would it be an abuse of my powers if I changed this thread title to Whats your Least Worst Weatherspoons?

Pussy Galore No 1 Oggwyn Trench's Avatar

Not much choice in Shropshire, six i think and if im away i tend more to the more characterfull local pubs . My local one is the Thomas Bottfield and its pretty dire . Montgomerys Tower in Shrewsbury isnt to bad , its a former nightclub but my favorite is probally the Shrewsbury hotel , its got the usual JDW problems and to be honest its a bit grotty , but the beers usually good and its a good place to sit in the window(or outside) on a Saturday afternoon and watch the world go by
    Theres a Man with a Mullet going Mad with a Mallet in Millets !

I mentioned this to Commissioner Sir Mustapha Colon when I saw him propping up the bar at the The Apostrophile's Arms earlier, and his response was, and I quote, "would it be an abuse of my powers if I asked for this thread title to be changed to 'What's the least worst Wetherspoon's'". I told him not be so daft, and get back to his proper job of harrassing greengrocer's.

Quote Originally Posted by Alesonly View Post
    Whats your Favourite Two Wetherspoons Pubs and why. Mine are The Gate House at Highgate and The Tally Ho at North Finchley. Both of which are very old style traditional Pubs ( Ex Charringtons I think ) not conversions and they retain some of their character making them feel more like a proper Pubs. This is what makes them the best two for me plus they have not been wreaked like they would have been if turned into ghastly gasto restaurants.
    For beer it has to be the Babington Arms in Derby. The best guest ale range of any JDW in the country. But sadly as it's an ex furniture store it has no character at all.

For decor I think I'll go with The Winter Gardens in Harrogate, although the Crosse Keys in London runs it close.
    A pub is for life not just for Christmas

Former Pubs Galore Coder

Quote Originally Posted by Rex_Rattus View Post
    I mentioned this to Commissioner Sir Mustapha Colon when I saw him propping up the bar at the The Apostrophile's Arms earlier, and his response was, and I quote, "would it be an abuse of my powers if I asked for this thread title to be changed to 'What's the least worst Wetherspoon's'". I told him not be so daft, and get back to his proper job of harrassing greengrocer's.

Get on and answer the original question!

OK, fair enough Conrad! Glad you can take a joke. For me it is the Edward Rayne, at Raynes Park. It is my local Wetherspoons, so perhaps I am a bit biased. But it doesn't have (and I'm trying to skirt round political correctness here) the skanky low lifes that I've encountered in numerous other JDWs. It is kept clean, with the tables generally clearled fairly swiftly, and the toilets are extermely sanitary. I don't really have a second favourite, but if I was pinned down I would probably go for the Penderell's Oak in Holborn.

But I do have one gripe though, and it may be that other JDWs suffer from the same malaise. Nine times out of ten there is one or more of the pumps with beer clips on them, with the dreaded "available soon" on them as well. It's bad enough having pumps not in use (and in my view pumps are for dispensing ale not for advertising future ales), but when the said ale doesn't arrive that is much worse. I've been in the Edward Rayne at closing time, noted the ale that is "available soon" and in order to give it a try returned the following afternoon, only to find a different ale on. There is no way that they've polished off a whole cask in the intervening few hours. This has happened often enough that I am convinced that there is a policy of not allowing a pump to be without a clip, and if they don't know what ale really is coming next they will stick any old clip on it. Just a bit annoying. And Monday seems to be the worst day for this sort of thing at the Edward Rayne - last Monday, of the four "guests" one was Deuchars IPA and the other GK IPA.
    Last edited by Rex_Rattus; 27-03-2010 at 14:24.

We're not really 'ere! trainman's Avatar

Keep talking Rex, and the Edward Rayne will be dropping off your chart pretty sharpish!

For wide of real ale.. it has to be Babington Arms in Derby.

For interior.. The Palladium, Llandudno. Wonderful ex theatre and still retains orginal interiors.

Just for Conrad..

Worst.. Penny Black, Bicester. Very rough and smell inside is pretty awful
    J.D Wetherspoon = Home of Hoppy: The Silk Kite, Tamworth.. http://www.tamworthblog.co.uk/2009/0...-blogs-review/

Fully paid up beer belly Farway's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hopwas View Post
    For interior.. The Palladium, Llandudno. Wonderful ex theatre and still retains orginal interiors.
    :
    Ah, did you notice the Welsh & English versions? http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/54167/

I never went inside BTW
    Last edited by Farway; 27-03-2010 at 15:09. Reason: typo