Ads not shown when logged in
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Pubs Galore Twitter Page.

Quote Originally Posted by Gann View Post
    And for me. It's enough to contend with Facebook and Linked In and I've never seen the point or interest in following the vacuous comments of some B-List celebrity..
    However now having looked at the PuG content I can see some benefit , and could be persuaded to even get an account and tweet some pub related interests if it furthers the cause.
    I see PubSignMan appears regularily as retweets. So how does this work then ?
    I am guessing PubSignMan has a Twitter account that PuG follows and retweets the interesting beer and pub activity , correct ??
    I've had a Twitter account from the early days, but never really knew what to do with it. Back then, most pubs weren't on Twitter and as you say, most people seemed to use it to stalk celebrities. Over time, more and more pubs created accounts and I realised that by following pubs in my local area (London), I could find out about beer festivals, meet the brewer events, promotions etc... or even track down specific beers in some cases. I'd recommend considering using Twitter for this benefit alone.

Around the same time, I thought I might be able to promote PuG a bit by tweeting pubs that I'd enjoyed visiting with a link to their PuG page/my review. I always try to include the @PubsGalore handle in my tweets so that the pubs will hopefully follow the PuG twitter account. I've no idea if it helps with promoting the site, but often the pub will tweet back to say thanks for the review, so at least they visited their page. I've even been offered a few free pints over the years, but have never been able to take up the offers!

Dave has been doing some great work recently, finding ways to engage pubs such as the facility that ranks pubs by the number of Twitter followers they have. He's also on a mission to follow every pub in the UK, but needs more people to follow first, so if you're not already following @PubsGalore you know what to do - every follower counts!

Quote Originally Posted by Pubsignman View Post
    Around the same time, I thought I might be able to promote PuG a bit by tweeting pubs that I'd enjoyed visiting with a link to their PuG page/my review. I always try to include the @PubsGalore handle in my tweets so that the pubs will hopefully follow the PuG twitter account. I've no idea if it helps with promoting the site, but often the pub will tweet back to say thanks for the review, so at least they visited their page. I've even been offered a few free pints over the years, but have never been able to take up the offers!

Dave has been doing some great work recently, finding ways to engage pubs such as the facility that ranks pubs by the number of Twitter followers they have. He's also on a mission to follow every pub in the UK, but needs more people to follow first, so if you're not already following @PubsGalore you know what to do - every follower counts!
    Many thanks, that was roughly what I had worked out,
    So @Steve_of_N21 has now been born and is following PuG, and I intend to do the same thing and tweet pub related activity, which Dave can retweet for effect if he likes..
    Work is the curse of the drinking Class - Oscar Wilde

I follow all the local pubs and breweries on behalf of our camra branch and I have to report that over 90% of the tweets are dross. Pubs mainly tweet food deals or retweet any and every positive comment about them on Twitter and the breweries retweet any pub anywhere that mentions them as OTB (on the bar). Beer festival tweeting can be especially irritating. At the moment it's JDW about tax equality day and Cask Ale Week that are two to avoid.

It's not a bad thing, you just need to be selective about who you follow.

This Space For Hire gillhalfpint's Avatar

Irritating - that's the word I would use for re tweets. Gave up as I had to scroll around too much to find what was of interest to me.
    Alcohol doesn't solve problems .... but then again, neither does milk.

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by Pubsignman View Post
    I've had a Twitter account from the early days, but never really knew what to do with it. Back then, most pubs weren't on Twitter and as you say, most people seemed to use it to stalk celebrities. Over time, more and more pubs created accounts and I realised that by following pubs in my local area (London), I could find out about beer festivals, meet the brewer events, promotions etc... or even track down specific beers in some cases. I'd recommend considering using Twitter for this benefit alone.

I use Twitter everyday to find new beers and fests.Okay there is a lot of dross but you can quickly scroll past it.I have noticed your comments on twitter.Selcamra is particularly good for info.

Quote Originally Posted by aleandhearty View Post
    Although I don't tweet myself, I dip into the PuG Twitter page regularly and have to say it seems to be raising the profile of the site really well. I don't know who's running it these days, ( Andy Ven was very involved, at one stage) Vs. Dave?
    Tis true that I have admin access to the Facebook page (not that much happens there now - having kids has clipped my wings a bit so a trip to the pub is a rare treat) but I have never got the point of Twitter.

Hope you're all well. Maybe I'll get on one of the crawls next year. My office has moved back into Birmingham City Centre so if anyone's dropping by then let me know by PM and I might manage a cheeky shandy.
    Waes hael!

And for me. It's enough to contend with Facebook and Linked In and I've never seen the point or interest in following the vacuous comments of some B-List celebrity..
    ?
    Do we/should we have a Facebook page?

Quote Originally Posted by ETA View Post
    https://www.facebook.com/pubsgalore
    Work is the curse of the drinking Class - Oscar Wilde

A tad neglected!
    WE ARE THE BREADMEN - UP THE BEES

This Space For Hire aleandhearty's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Ven View Post
    Tis true that I have admin access to the Facebook page (not that much happens there now - having kids has clipped my wings a bit so a trip to the pub is a rare treat) but I have never got the point of Twitter.
    Funny how the memory plays tricks on you! Hope all is well with you and yours, Andy.

Quote Originally Posted by ETA View Post
    I think that's a very good question and perhaps one which needs to be answered by Dave, as ultimately it's his site. It all comes down to what PuG is meant to be. Certainly, if being brutally self-analytical, it could be argued that we're a self contained, possibly insular, bunch of real ale drinking old farts. There's nothing necessarily wrong with that, but if we want the site to grow and perhaps attract a younger membership, then embracing social media wholeheartedly seems to be the way to go. I must admit I was converted on watching the BBC programme on Hunter's microbrewery.
    Last edited by aleandhearty; 30-09-2014 at 12:46.
    'And where he supped the past lived still. And where he sipped the glass brimmed full' John Barleycorn, Carol Ann Duffy.