Ads not shown when logged in

Thread: Food Rants

We're not really 'ere! trainman's Avatar

Default Food Rants

Unable to reply to any of the 'report a review' threads, here's the subject in chit-chat, sorry if it's old ground.

I don't mind food rants or kitchen/service criticism if it is accurately & honestly reported. This sort of detail may be just as helpful to some pub visitors as a comment such as 'no real ale' would be to me - informative and decision influencing.

They can sometimes be a right laugh too....

Quote Originally Posted by trainman View Post
    Unable to reply to any of the 'report a review' threads, here's the subject in chit-chat, sorry if it's old ground.

I don't mind food rants or kitchen/service criticism if it is accurately & honestly reported. This sort of detail may be just as helpful to some pub visitors as a comment such as 'no real ale' would be to me - informative and decision influencing.

Its Ok if part of an honest all round pub review ,more often than not its someone who has no interest in pubs that had a bad mothers day experience ,its also usually their one and only post, not what I believe this site is /or should be about. I agree though, some are funny.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

Quote Originally Posted by trainman View Post

But how can you know if it's been "accurately & honestly reported"? I've read similar "reviews" on Trip Advisor, and where the landlord/manager has responded you get a different idea of how the incident played out. Deleting food rants avoids this sort of tit-for-tat exchange (because, after all, you can't tell how "accurate & honest" the response is either!).
    Come On You Hatters!

I'll stay on me own

As others have said, the problem I have with them is when there is no mention of anything else about the pub, other than the food, and the reviewer in question hasn't ever reviewed any other pubs. What makes it even worse, as in the recent example that I flagged up, was that the "reviewer" went on to say he had a much better experience in another pub - but did he review that one? No, of course not, he just wanted a rant.

I have, on occasions, probably had a food rant myself, but always as part of a balanced review of the pub, other aspects of which may be quite positive.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackthorn View Post
    As others have said, the problem I have with them is when there is no mention of anything else about the pub, other than the food, and the reviewer in question hasn't ever reviewed any other pubs. What makes it even worse, as in the recent example that I flagged up, was that the "reviewer" went on to say he had a much better experience in another pub - but did he review that one? No, of course not, he just wanted a rant.

I have, on occasions, probably had a food rant myself, but always as part of a balanced review of the pub, other aspects of which may be quite positive.
    I completely agree with Blackthorn.
    WE ARE THE BREADMEN - UP THE BEES

Fully paid up beer belly Farway's Avatar

I think food & service rants are OK, it is what the customer experienced at that time on that day. Not every one goes into a pub for beer or decor, I go into some pubs for food and a pint, some just go for food & a coffee

For instance I was in pub /hotel in Tetbury yesterday, crap service, barmaid more interested in talking to her mates, because of this my review, which may be a rant, reflects this
    I drink to make others more interesting

Quote Originally Posted by Farway View Post

For instance I was in pub /hotel in Tetbury yesterday, crap service, barmaid more interested in talking to her mates, because of this my review, which may be a rant, reflects this
    Not exactly a rant, Farway, and you're not exactly a one-time poster either. Your reviews are quite informative, and I for one appreciate your occasional snippets from local newspapers. There are a lot of pubs in your area, and it's always interesting to see how local events often have a pub at their centre. It helps to remind us that the British pub isn't just a food and drink dispensary.