Ads not shown when logged in
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: County Durham

Quote Originally Posted by oldboots View Post
    Almost entirely gone now, I believe there is still a Cleveland Police, I believe this mainly because of all the press coverage of its various scandals.

The main towns in that part of the North Riding are now "Unitary Councils" although the good people of Yarm were up in arms at being lumped in under Stockton on Tees over the river in County Durham and demanded to become part of the nearest North Yorkshire District Council.

County Durham lies between the Tees and the Tyne as far west as the Derwent, regardless of what self important local politicians may say.
    Thanks OB, you have confirmed what I suspected although my friends and relatives in that part of the world didn't ever think of themselves as anything but Yorkshire.

Spritzer Swallower

Quote Originally Posted by oldboots View Post
    Almost entirely gone now, I believe there is still a Cleveland Police, I believe this mainly because of all the press coverage of its various scandals.

The main towns in that part of the North Riding are now "Unitary Councils" although the good people of Yarm were up in arms at being lumped in under Stockton on Tees over the river in County Durham and demanded to become part of the nearest North Yorkshire District Council.

County Durham lies between the Tees and the Tyne as far west as the Derwent, regardless of what self important local politicians may say.
    Hear, hear. One of my biggest bugbears. One of the most irritating aspects is that the signs say 'County Durham- Land of the Prince Bishops' in locations outside of the Palatine that were NEVER under the jurisdiction of the Prince Bishops. And Durham towns like Gateshead and Sunderland are excluded, as though they never were. At least the Millbank Arms at Barningham gets to keep its proper county name in the address (although I'd prefer 'North Riding' to 'North'). I contacted CAMRA about it a few years ago, got no reply. Unlikely to chime well with them in their desperation to be down with the kids.

Are you aware of the following website/organisation?

http://abcounties.com/

Sad? Me?