Ads not shown when logged in
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: BBC2: Alexis Polizzi 'The Fixer' and Hunter's Microbrewery.

Quote Originally Posted by oldboots View Post
    I think Mrs May, our esteemed Home Secretary, makes a much better Dominatrix figure than young ms Polizzi.
    You mean Zelda from Terrahawks.

Quote Originally Posted by london calling View Post
    I have had 2 Hunters beers and they were very average.I was in north Devon last week and Locale hasn't really caught on.Iwas surprised how few local beers were on and Doombar was on in nearly every pub.
    I don't know Devon well at all but it has always struck me as a poor County for beer. It's one of England's largest Counties but compare it to North, South or West Yorkshire and it's easy to see how bad it is. The predominance of Doom Bore doesn't surprise me at all. I don't recall Devon ever having a regional independent so the large pubcos can thrust the rubbish Doom Bore at the punters to their heart's content.

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
    That's what the GBG says and your reaction probably speaks volumes.
    The drinks trade has alway been fickle and prone to fashions and trends.
    For various reasons I am quite concerned about Brodie's as they have been talking for the last year about having a new (I think 40 barrel) brewery for their core beers up and running by Autumn this year. To date there doesn't seem to be any sign of this happening so there has been a year of pubs wanting their beer and them not being able to provide it, including the William IV.
    There are enough quality micros in London today for it to easily go unnoticed if one were to fall by the wayside and there are many that I haven't even tried.
    That's a big kit for a brewer with poorly rated beer.As for Brodies they could probably get away with a 40 barrel as they are highly rated up and down the country but I have always felt they are a bit erratic on the business side as I know they have let down pubs and fests previously.Last years Rainbow ipa fest was a classic.They didn't advertise it and very few turned up.Beavertown are hosting it this year.

This Space For Hire

I don't know Devon well at all but it has always struck me as a poor County for beer. It's one of England's largest Counties but compare it to North, South or West Yorkshire and it's easy to see how bad it is. The predominance of Doom Bore doesn't surprise me at all. I don't recall Devon ever having a regional independent so the large pubcos can thrust the rubbish Doom Bore at the punters to their heart's content.
    It was disheartening to see so much Doombar but I tried a pint as its been a while.Perfect condition but was sweet and slightly malty.No hop flavour and I couldn't finish the pint.Beer for people who don't like the taste of beer imo.

As for Brodies I have always felt they are a bit erratic on the business side as I know they have let down pubs and fests previously.
    That's an understatement to be sure! I'm on a break from the William as I got sick of being served warm beer. The straw that broke the camel's back was when the manager got in some Milestone guests. I'll be returning in October and hope things have improved. I didn't have a row with them or get barred but just took the decision to not go there at all until the weather is a lot cooler.

Last years Rainbow ipa fest was a classic.They didn't advertise it and very few turned up.Beavertown are hosting it this year.
    The new Beavertown Tap is only a bus ride away for me but I'm reluctant to go there as it's all keg and everything is served in mickey mouse half or two third pint measures. It works out £4.00 a pint which I could live with for a 6% or 7% beer.
    The other thing is that it's only open on Saturday which makes me wonder if it is even worth adding to the site.

It was disheartening to see so much Doombar but I tried a pint as its been a while.Perfect condition but was sweet and slightly malty.No hop flavour and I couldn't finish the pint.Beer for people who don't like the taste of beer imo.
    That's what happened to me recently when I was confronted with a choice of Pride, Bombardier or Doom Bore at a renovated local pub. I went for the Doom Bore partly to justify my continued vilification of it. It was in perfect condition but was just as you say, so sweet with no hop character at all. I did drink it as penny-pinching soaks never leave beer behind and I think you can only confirm a beer is rubbish or brilliant by drinking a full pint of it.

The worst thing for me is that Spoons are making it a semi-regular beer but are also charging way over the odds for it. In the Cap In Hand at the Hook underpass yesterday it was 60p dearer than Tillingbourne The Source plus Twickenham Naked Ladies and 30p dearer than the excellent 5.5% Loddon Forbury Lion. All three are superb Locale beers and yet on the "boring" bank of pumps there were two Doom Bores.

This Space For Hire

The new Beavertown Tap is only a bus ride away for me but I'm reluctant to go there as it's all keg and everything is served in mickey mouse half or two third pint measures. It works out £4.00 a pint which I could live with for a 6% or 7% beer.
    The other thing is that it's only open on Saturday which makes me wonder if it is even worth adding to the site.
    I have noticed the Beavertown prices are high.I thought the brewery taps were meant to sell beer cheaply.Little or no overheads ,no transport costs etc.Very good brewer though.

This Space For Hire

She may be scary but you'd still hit it.

Quote Originally Posted by aleandhearty View Post
    The slightly scary Ms. Polizzi casts her eye over the financial difficulties of a struggling Devon micro. Should prove rather informative. To be shown Monday 1st September 21.00.
    Not sure who saw it last night as well.
    And I know it's all in the editing and the BBC are not beyond character assasination to make their "experts" look like the dogs Bollocks..
    But Mr Paul Walker did come across as a bit of an amateurish knob.. if the facts are to be believed that he bought his original kit off ebay and paid £40K for a bottling machine from a company with no track record that he never visited..

But I did warm to him and hope they pull through..

The look on his face when the head brewer from Sharps intimated that the Hunters best selling Devon Dreamer was Shit and wouldn't be brewed at Sharps was quality.......
    Work is the curse of the drinking Class - Oscar Wilde