Ads not shown when logged in
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: BBC2: Alexis Polizzi 'The Fixer' and Hunter's Microbrewery.

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
    It also sounds to me like Devon Dreamer is a "summer" style beer which given the brewery's proximity to the South Devon resorts would make it a popular choice at the height of the tourist season. I don't suppose these "experts" or the muppet from Sharp's even took that into account. Doom Bore isn't popular because of any quality it has but because they are part of a global corporation that has the power to muscle their way into the pubcos. Sadly that also includes Wetherspoons. I have to admit I almost lost the will to live when they dragged Sharp's into the programme.
    Devon Dreamer is a brown boring just the type of beer they like in the West Country.Stuart Howe the brewer didn't invent Doombar its just his job to brew it.He is one of the most respected brewers in the country because he brews limited edition beers that are brilliant.That knobhead last night didn't realise that he was given a chance for a great brewer to assess his beer.You couldn't pay money to get that chance and Stuart nailed it your best seller is shite but the good beer is Royal Hunt which the beer drinkers/bloggers of London thought so as well.

This Space For Hire

I thought it was a good programme and also liked the bit when he tried to sell his beer to the hip Bristol pub.Think of a line up of bottled beer behind his bar Kernal with their minimalistic cardboard labels.Partizan with their beautiful artwork,Beavertown with their surreal designs and then Hunters with a red coated huntsman on a horse.What ones going to sell.

This Space For Hire

It also sounds to me like Devon Dreamer is a "summer" style beer which given the brewery's proximity to the South Devon resorts would make it a popular choice at the height of the tourist season. I don't suppose these "experts" or the muppet from Sharp's even took that into account. Doom Bore isn't popular because of any quality it has but because they are part of a global corporation that has the power to muscle their way into the pubcos. Sadly that also includes Wetherspoons. I have to admit I almost lost the will to live when they dragged Sharp's into the programme.
    there was only one muppet imo that's the owner of Hunters parting with 45,000 up front is stupid.

This Space For Hire

The Lido isn't a hip Bristol (pub) imho, for tv purposes yes. It's a place that sells bottled beers only, pub next door on the hand is. I walked out as no draught available when I went to visit a couple of years ago and I'm a lager drinker...

I have however seen numerous clips for their beer in pubs around the Bristol area on ceilings walls etc so must be shifting it. Think there was a certain lag in the program between reality and filming the plight and the way it was edited as Hunters has been available up here for a while.
    Last edited by bcfczuluarmy; 03-09-2014 at 00:41.

Quote Originally Posted by london calling View Post
    Devon Dreamer is a brown boring just the type of beer they like in the West Country.Stuart Howe the brewer didn't invent Doombar its just his job to brew it.He is one of the most respected brewers in the country because he brews limited edition beers that are brilliant.That knobhead last night didn't realise that he was given a chance for a great brewer to assess his beer.You couldn't pay money to get that chance and Stuart nailed it your best seller is shite but the good beer is Royal Hunt which the beer drinkers/bloggers of London thought so as well.

If these Limited Edition Sharp's beers are so brilliant then why don't they make them less limited? I'm sure I remember Sharps being on the Spoons guest ale list years ago before they sold their soul and don't recall anything worth a second glance.
    I was under the impression that Sommelier was French for "Pretentious Twat" but according to my dictionary it's a wine waiter. I wouldn't take notice of anyone deluded and arrogant enough to describe them self as a "Beer Sommelier". All these so-called experts are just individuals with opinions and what they think is no more or less relevant than what you me or some random bloke at the bar thinks. In fact, I would say many of these "experts" are just people trying to make an easy shilling by getting their opinions out in the media or charging gullible people for "Tutored Tasting" or (worst of all) "Food Matching" sessions.

If these Limited Edition Sharp's beers are so brilliant then why don't they make them less limited? I'm sure I remember Sharps being on the Spoons guest ale list years ago before they sold their soul and don't recall anything worth a second glance.
    Forget about Doom Bore, Stuart Howe is a brewer who knows what he's doing. He is a bit of an opinionated **** but he knows his stuff, read his blog here:
    http://brewingreality.blogspot.co.uk/
    I always find he usually hits the mark, especially with regards to some of the new "craft" brewers who believe they can brew beer by bunging twice as many hops as anyone else in a bucket. It is just disappointing the way he defends Doom Bore as the leading UK cask ale.

I was under the impression that Sommelier was French for "Pretentious Twat" but according to my dictionary it's a wine waiter. I wouldn't take notice of anyone deluded and arrogant enough to describe them self as a "Beer Sommelier". All these so-called experts are just individuals with opinions and what they think is no more or less relevant than what you me or some random bloke at the bar thinks. In fact, I would say many of these "experts" are just people trying to make an easy shilling by getting their opinions out in the media or charging gullible people for "Tutored Tasting" or (worst of all) "Food Matching" sessions.
    Couldn't agree with you more on this one

Quote Originally Posted by Brewguru View Post
    Forget about Doom Bore, Stuart Howe is a brewer who knows what he's doing. He is a bit of an opinionated **** but he knows his stuff, read his blog here:
    http://brewingreality.blogspot.co.uk/
    Facinating link within his blog of 10 May 2014 to a U-tube clip of him discussing Doom Bar with a couple of beer/food writers. The beer they describe is totally different from my (and I suspect most people here's) experience of the beer as encountered in pubs up and down the country, whose managers clearly don't know how to keep a real ale and in fact don't give a toss. Shouldn't the brewer, who, judging by the clip (and assuming he's not a total hypocrite), thinks he has produced a fantastic beer that deserves its status as the best selling cask ale in the country, be concerned about the dreadful reputation his beer has acquired among beer lovers? There's a great moment towards the end of the clip where Adrian Tierney-Jones describes the beer as "spritely" (4:50). I've never had a pint of Doom Bar that I would describe as even remotely approaching being in good nick, never mind "dancing on your tongue" - not the brewer's fault, I know, but doesn't he care?
    Come On You Hatters!

Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
    Facinating link within his blog of 10 May 2014 to a U-tube clip of him discussing Doom Bar with a couple of beer/food writers. The beer they describe is totally different from my (and I suspect most people here's) experience of the beer as encountered in pubs up and down the country, whose managers clearly don't know how to keep a real ale and in fact don't give a toss. Shouldn't the brewer, who, judging by the clip (and assuming he's not a total hypocrite), thinks he has produced a fantastic beer that deserves its status as the best selling cask ale in the country, be concerned about the dreadful reputation his beer has acquired among beer lovers? There's a great moment towards the end of the clip where Adrian Tierney-Jones describes the beer as "spritely" (4:50). I've never had a pint of Doom Bar that I would describe as even remotely approaching being in good nick, never mind "dancing on your tongue" - not the brewer's fault, I know, but doesn't he care?
    Totally agree, the clip is a pretentious load of b****cks as far as I'm concerned, Doom bar did once have some flavour many years ago but has long since joined the ranks of boring brown beer. It gives brown beer a bad name as do many other dumbed down beers nowadays.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

Waterborne Beer Inspector Bucking Fastard's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mobyduck View Post
    Totally agree, the clip is a pretentious load of b****cks as far as I'm concerned, Doom bar did once have some flavour many years ago but has long since joined the ranks of boring brown beer. It gives brown beer a bad name as do many other dumbed down beers nowadays.
    Well said that man.
    "Good people drink good beer" Hunter S Thompson

This Space For Hire aleandhearty's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
    Facinating link within his blog of 10 May 2014 to a U-tube clip of him discussing Doom Bar with a couple of beer/food writers.
    Had to laugh, at 1.30 in, when Stuart Howe said 'it's not a massively flavoursome beer, but it is complex'. Eh? Well where does the effing complexity come from then, if it doesn't taste of anything?
    'And where he supped the past lived still. And where he sipped the glass brimmed full' John Barleycorn, Carol Ann Duffy.