Visit the a swift one site

Last night, The Star at Folly Hall opened its doors for its Spring Beer Festival and the throng outside, waiting patiently for 5pm were not disappointed.

This time Sam has managed to select some rare beers from all over the country, we were treated to examples from Art Barn and Concrete Cow,down South, Church End and Beowolf in the Midlands and several Scottish breweries, some new to the area, such as Angus, Ayr, Deeside and Loch Leven.

Not to be outdone several Yorkshire breweries appeared on the bar, with representatives from Great Heck, Goose Eye, and Abbeydale.

The format was the tried and tested one for the pub. 46 beers on handpull in the outside marquee, served in some very tasteful festival glasses, along with plenty more on the bar inside that are constantly replaced.

I managed to sample a few, the best of the lot was Mallinsons 'Wish You Were Here. 3.7% but full of hop character, and named in honour of Dave Charlesworth. Other delights were a Pilsner style beer from Allendale,(Adder Lager), the sorachi hopped 'Sorrel Sykes' from Yorkshire Dales, and the citrus tasting 'Nechtan' from Deeside.

Those in search of dark beers were treated to 'Damens Dark', a mild from Goose Eye; Three b's 'Knocker Up' porter, and Deeside 'Talorcan' another porter, this time with whey included to give in additional smoothness.

There was even space on the bar for a chilli beer, Allendale 'Beacon Fire'.

All those I tried were on good form, and at £2.30 a pint good value for money. Sam and the team deserve great credit for the festival, both in the interesting selection of beers and the ambience of the festival itself. It runs from 5pm Thursday and all day Friday to Sunday. It is well worth a visit.

On a personal note I even tried the 'Hip Hop Green Bullet' from Art. Those who know me know my dislike of this particular hop, and yes, it did make me sneeze !!

More...