Visit the Tandleman's Beer Blog site

I wrote here about my liking for the beers of Tegernsee, a smallish brewery near Munich. While it is perfectly possible and indeed a very good idea to hop on the train to the lake and drink them at source, you no longer have to do so. To my delight on my recent trip to Munich, I discovered that Tegernsee has opened a pub on Tal, right in the centre of the best drinking area. Very easy to find it is too, being directly opposite the Weisses Brauhaus and next door but one to Paulaner.

Among other visits, we watched the Netherlands being (unfairly) beaten by Argentina. We were there until the last kick of the match at around 12.45. Beers were served throughout. This is a fairly pubby place, with a long bar you can sit at in the front to one side and a number of tables and booths inside. Off course there is the usual tempting German food. Prices are reasonable and the staff were smilingly obliging on every visit. Oh. And they sell Spezial, a sort of strongish export style beer which is kind of unique to these parts. Like Augustiner Edelstoff or Andechs Spezial, it isn't for everyone with a slight sweetness from the full malty body and the alcohol, leading to a bitter finish. A boys beer at 5.6%, so still (just) in the swoopable range. Well, I certainly swooped a few.

All we needed to complete our joy was the sadly lacking sunshine, when I believe they put tables outside. Go there if in Munich whatever the weather.

Tegernsee Im Tal: Im Tal 8, 80331 Munich. Photo: Praying at the Tegernsee Altar.

More...