Ads not shown when logged in

Thread: London

Default London

I'll be passing through that London this Saturday afternoon, and would be interesting in trying some interesting "London " beers. Has anyone any recommended pubs, possibly in the Liverpool Street/Charing Cross/London Bridge axis? Despite living so near,I very rarely venture into the Smoke.
    "At that moment I would have given a kingdom, not for champagne or hock and soda, or hot coffee but for a glass of beer" Marquess Curzon of Kedlestone, Viceroy of India.

Quote Originally Posted by Wittenden View Post
    I'll be passing through that London this Saturday afternoon, and would be interesting in trying some interesting "London " beers. Has anyone any recommended pubs, possibly in the Liverpool Street/Charing Cross/London Bridge axis? Despite living so near,I very rarely venture into the Smoke.
    The Harp is a must for Charing Cross, I will be back there myself tomorrow morning,The Market Porter for The London Bridge area, and I found The Willams Ale And Cider House very good near Liverpool Street .
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

As you're talking about London beers and it sounds like you're travelling from Liverpool Street then I would recommend a bus to Liverpool Street from London Bridge and as Moby says Williams, which I haven't been to but my mate says it does several London beers in good nick. As it's a Saturday the Spoons Hamilton Hall would be worth a swift look on the way to the platform.
    What about the Rake rather than the Market Porter? Again, I've not been to it but they may have something on from Tap East their sister pub.

Thanks for the recommendations: I think I might pass on the Harp, following on from Moby's experience. I'd forgotten the Market Porter:I've always found it a bit of a bun fight. I think I might try the Rake and Williams,though it all depends on how much country beer I try here:The White Hart Inn
    "At that moment I would have given a kingdom, not for champagne or hock and soda, or hot coffee but for a glass of beer" Marquess Curzon of Kedlestone, Viceroy of India.

This Space For Hire

Cross Keys in Endell St for Brodies beers - but go during the day, it gets pretty murderous after work. I've always had a different experience from JAQPTIO.
    Last edited by NickDavies; 16-08-2014 at 09:27.

Thanks for the suggestions. In the end I visited the Rake in the morning, and Williams... in the early evening.In both cases I was sorry not to have spotted any hipsters in ironic hats and facial foliage.Perhaps I was too early for them. On balance, the country beer (Hardknott, Mighty Oak) out performed the London beer (London Fields, Trumans). Brodies next time.

I'm not knocking your opinion but to me Truman's are not one of the best new brewers in East London. I haven't tried that London Fields beer. I think their Shoreditch Triangle is their best beer but at 6% it's probably too strong for your taste. I'm glad you don't discount out of hand the "new wave" styles of beer. On Saturday I enjoyed the Taylor's Dark Mild just as much as the Saltaire Hop #256.
    I'm interested in the White Hart that you mentioned at Margaretting Tye. I'm fairly sure that I've never visited that one although I do have a vague recollection of passing it on the way to the Viper at Mill Green and my cycling companion insisting on stopping there for a pint while I ploughed on to the Viper. In those days the Viper was a Truman's tied house and made a big play on the fact that they stocked all of the new range of Truman Real Ales.
    The White Hart seems to be wholly inaccessible by public transport. It's a two mile or so walk from Galleywood which is a long way for me and given there are Essex pubs I would like to revisit that are MUCH easier to get to would it really be worth the effort?

Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
    I'm not knocking your opinion but to me Truman's are not one of the best new brewers in East London.

Just curious really! As it was on the bar it would have been rude not to, especially as a couple from Five Points were unavailable.

I'm interested in the White Hart that you mentioned at Margaretting Tye. I'm fairly sure that I've never visited that one although I do have a vague recollection of passing it on the way to the Viper at Mill Green and my cycling companion insisting on stopping there for a pint while I ploughed on to the Viper. In those days the Viper was a Truman's tied house and made a big play on the fact that they stocked all of the new range of Truman Real Ales.
    The White Hart seems to be wholly inaccessible by public transport. It's a two mile or so walk from Galleywood which is a long way for me and given there are Essex pubs I would like to revisit that are MUCH easier to get to would it really be worth the effort?
    Yes, a long way out-we were picked up from Ingatestone station, but I should think it is a good mile or two from the cross roads at Margarretting.It's convenient for our group, as one of our Essex friends has mobility problems, but it is rather on the corporate side. The beer is well kept, but not really "cutting edge",though I'd go a long way for a good pint of mild. We some times stop there on the way to Norwich if we aren't in a hurry.
    The Viper is on my list, though I don't know when we'll get there!

Yes, a long way out-we were picked up from Ingatestone station, but I should think it is a good mile or two from the cross roads at Margarretting.It's convenient for our group, as one of our Essex friends has mobility problems, but it is rather on the corporate side. The beer is well kept, but not really "cutting edge",though I'd go a long way for a good pint of mild. We some times stop there on the way to Norwich if we aren't in a hurry.
    The Viper is on my list, though I don't know when we'll get there!
    Thanks for the run down on the White Hart. It sounds like the others on my list are probably just as good. That Mighty Oak mild is fairly commonplace in Essex and East London (and it is a good one). I think the Orient bar were talking about making it a permanent beer for the benefit of the many people that don't like having to drink something they've never even heard of every time they go there.