Ads not shown when logged in
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: What Pub Rip Off

I'll stay on me own

They've definitely ripped off one of my reviews, I haven't contributed anything to What Pub? They chopped out a bit as I tend to ramble on a bit, but the sentences that remain are identical, even down to the punctuation marks.

The Trotter Inn

Default Plonkers

Quote Originally Posted by Blackthorn View Post
    They've definitely ripped off one of my reviews, I haven't contributed anything to What Pub? They chopped out a bit as I tend to ramble on a bit, but the sentences that remain are identical, even down to the punctuation marks.

The Trotter Inn
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ofah_yuppy_love.png 
Views:	181 
Size:	108.3 KB 
ID:	1245
    "Do I know where hell is? hell is in hello"

Quote Originally Posted by Blackthorn View Post

The Trotter Inn
    The fact that the words "main" and "the" are erroneously transposed in both is a complete give away. The orange bar shows that the page isn't even complete so there was little point in transposing the review word for word.

Personally, I would regard it as a bit of a compliment if WhatPub used bits of one of my reviews. But of course they shouldn't assume that everyone feels that way. I suppose you have IPR on your review, so what they've done is a bit cheeky.

Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
    The fact that the words "main" and "the" are erroneously transposed in both is a complete give away. The orange bar shows that the page isn't even complete so there was little point in transposing the review word for word.
    Very obvious and very naughty and they should be slapped for it, I have heard the reverse at some CAMRA meetings, ie Pubs Galore ripping off What?ub - which I've never actually seen a case of, but all's fair on the internet seems to be the view from Somerset.

By the way the "orange bar" is only visible to logged in CAMRA members and in this case means the opening hours are missing from the entry.
    Last edited by oldboots; 21-07-2015 at 14:48.

Quote Originally Posted by oldboots View Post
    By the way the "orange bar" is only visible to logged in CAMRA members and in this case means the opening hours are missing from the entry.
    I'm always logged in so have never noticed that! The daft thing is that a long verbose description is fairly pointless on What Pub. The beers listed may not be reliable as they are just the ones found on a random visit. The plagiarism is all the more pointless for that!
    I've taken snippets from the Spoons web site, old beer guides and What Pub but never done a cut and paste job like that.

We're not really 'ere! trainman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
    The daft thing is that a long verbose description is fairly pointless on What Pub. The beers listed may not be reliable as they are just the ones found on a random visit. The plagiarism is all the more pointless for that!.
    Errm.., so the inference is that a description of the pub and its beers is pointless? we may as well pack up and go home!

Quote Originally Posted by trainman View Post
    Errm.., so the inference is that a description of the pub and its beers is pointless? we may as well pack up and go home!
    That's not what I was saying at all! I was suggesting that long verbose descriptions don't really suit What Pub. The beer list on What Pub is a different format to what you may typically list on this site in that it consists of regular beers and guest beers. In this case Blackthorn listed two beers which the CAMRA branch have assumed to be regular beers. This may or may not be the case, one or both might be a guest beer. The only way to be sure would be to ask the landlord which is something not required for reviews on this site.

I'll stay on me own

Camra may not like this site, or are slightly jealous of the reviews it gets,

I now know they read reviews done on this site to add information to their supposed superior site,i have visited this pub The Bear and Lace under both guises,and put in my review that there are now four handpumps on the bar,the what pub review at the time said,"Chambers reopened as Bear and Lace still no real ales"

I have just had a look at the what pub site for this pub and there is still no proper review of it,but they now state four changing guest beers,if local camra buffs had gone in they would have surely left a proper review for their site,i dont think they went in but read my recent review.
    We are all equal,but some are more equal than others

Quote Originally Posted by Al 10000 View Post
    Camra may not like this site, or are slightly jealous of the reviews it gets,

I now know they read reviews done on this site to add information to their supposed superior site,i have visited this pub The Bear and Lace under both guises,and put in my review that there are now four handpumps on the bar,the what pub review at the time said,"Chambers reopened as Bear and Lace still no real ales"

I have just had a look at the what pub site for this pub and there is still no proper review of it,but they now state four changing guest beers,if local camra buffs had gone in they would have surely left a proper review for their site,i dont think they went in but read my recent review.
    I don't think the guys in Sheffield Camra have even made the effort to borrow from our site. For example, The Railway in Wadsley Bridge has had real ale for about three years now, but What?ub has not only still got it listed as no real ale, but also closed. I was in there on 30th August and it was definitely open, and definitely serving real ale.
    Come On You Hatters!