Ads not shown when logged in
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: What Pub Rip Off

This Space For Hire gillhalfpint's Avatar

I did some things for Whatpub while in Cornwall. As you say it doesn't matter what branch you are from, you can update wrong info and send pub photos for approval the same as you do on here. I use both sites and feel they complement each other very well for their own reasons for me.
    Alcohol doesn't solve problems .... but then again, neither does milk.

Quote Originally Posted by gillhalfpint View Post
    I did some things for Whatpub while in Cornwall. As you say it doesn't matter what branch you are from, you can update wrong info and send pub photos for approval the same as you do on here. I use both sites and feel they complement each other very well for their own reasons for me.
    I have many identical photos and a few reviews on What Pub in the Vale of Clwyd area. No point in taking a separate picture for each guide.

The map points are identical too.

Some Camra branches (even strong ones) don't bother with their map points. Of the ones I have submitted to different branches, at least 50% of them have been totally ignored!

Quote Originally Posted by AlanH View Post
    The map points are identical too.

Some Camra branches (even strong ones) don't bother with their map points. Of the ones I have submitted to different branches, at least 50% of them have been totally ignored!
    I had a correspondence with CAMRA's Andy Shaw (WhatPub developer among other things!) about map points, and his advice is that it is worth reporting map point corrections to the relevant branches. The trouble is there doesn't seem to be an easy way to do it - you can't drag and drop the marker the way you can on here. The only way I've found to report the correct map point is to use the "what's here" facility on the maps to determine the correct grid reference; make a note of said reference; then send feedback via WhatPub to the branch. Frankly I'm not convinced that it's worth the effort (for me or the branch) unless the map point is significantly wrong.

This Space For Hire

After being a very doubting Thomas on map points I think Bristol Camra are very up on all things although I've not fully checked the point, all I've looked at seem spot on pubs I've viewed. I do keep them up to date on things that they haven't spotted yet despite originally deciding I would let them fend for themselves they have reported back that they have a backlog so have been behind on adding my updates although these have been demolition updates so not the news anybody wants to hear. Overall they seem a friendly bunch to a non member giving updates.

As previously said good mix of two worlds, although prefer here.

Non camra member on the beer in Brighton I notice a lot of what pubs "about the pub" are just copied from the pubs own website eg http://whatpub.com/pubs/BRI/336/iron-duke-hove

http://www.irondukebrighton.co.uk/

Is this normal practice
    Last edited by hondo; 07-11-2014 at 13:36.
    "Do I know where hell is? hell is in hello"

Quote Originally Posted by hondo View Post
    Non camra member on the beer in Brighton I notice a lot of what pubs "about the pub" are just copied from the pubs own website eg http://whatpub.com/pubs/BRI/336/iron-duke-hove

http://www.irondukebrighton.co.uk/

Is this normal practice
    I don't think so - it's certainly not the norm in my patch, which is London. You can occasionally get a bit of useful information from a pub's website, but in my experience their descriptions are full of verbiage - "intimate and friendly atmosphere", "serve lovingly crafted beers", etc, etc. Well, they would say that wouldn't they? Is it true - what are the beers that are lovingly crafted? Who knows? It's lazy in the extreme to just copy stuff from pub's websites. The facility exists to include links on WhatPub to pubs' websites, as it is on here, and if you go to a pub website you know to take it with a pinch of salt as they are obviously not going to be objective are they? On the other hand, You are entitled to expect a WhatPub description to tell it like it is.

Thanks Rex as you say pub website links are no problem and we can take them with a pinch of salt but "about a pub" to me should be camra opinion/facts. If I was a camra member I would be disappointed that the pubs own views are being represented as camra views( not always as obvious as my example above that states "we").
    Last edited by hondo; 07-11-2014 at 14:43.

I've seen it a few times myself - lazy buggers.

Quote Originally Posted by Quinno View Post
    I've seen it a few times myself - lazy buggers.

Better to have no comment and just the link