Ads not shown when logged in
Page 5 of 22 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: PuG Autumn/Winter meet. Bristol, Nov 14th 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Bucking Fastard View Post
    Why not try the cross harbour ferry ?http://www.numbersevenboattrips.co.uk/crossharbour.html
    Good idea! Presumably it's a fairly frequent service, as there's no timetable - and the conditions of passage mention nothing about passengers having to be sober at the commencement of the voyage, only about not consuming any food or drink whilst on board.
    Come On You Hatters!

Waterborne Beer Inspector Bucking Fastard's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
    Good idea! Presumably it's a fairly frequent service, as there's no timetable - and the conditions of passage mention nothing about passengers having to be sober at the commencement of the voyage, only about not consuming any food or drink whilst on board.
    There seem to be a lot of ferry services,this company operate from Temple Meads and have a timetable http://www.bristolferry.com/ferryService.php Could form part of the crawl ??? I suppose we should concentrate on the pub selection first,but you know where I am coming from...............
    "Good people drink good beer" Hunter S Thompson

Forget that previous post folks, missed reading a page of the thread..... See ye in Bristol the 14th unless I get a silly afternoon shift in which case I'll be behind the glass selling tickets as ye stagger past.
    Last edited by an_ecumenical_matter; 04-08-2014 at 17:28.

Quote Originally Posted by Bucking Fastard View Post
    There seem to be a lot of ferry services,this company operate from Temple Meads and have a timetable http://www.bristolferry.com/ferryService.php Could form part of the crawl ??? I suppose we should concentrate on the pub selection first,but you know where I am coming from...............
    I had already been thinking about the ferry but the timetables aren't entirely helpful to aiding a crawl. I will definitely check out options though, the cross harbour one may well be very useful if we decide to do the Orchard.

Waterborne Beer Inspector Bucking Fastard's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dave M View Post
    I had already been thinking about the ferry but the timetables aren't entirely helpful to aiding a crawl. I will definitely check out options though, the cross harbour one may well be very useful if we decide to do the Orchard.
    Good point. It also just occurred to me that Nov 14th is not exactly summer,the timetable could be different and the weather may not be as user friendly as it is currently.
    "Good people drink good beer" Hunter S Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
    Quinno's review of 24th May 2013 suggests that this one was on its last legs, but there's a Bristol Post article about it from three months ago, so it seems to be still there?
    Still seems to be going. It was reported in Pints West it was up for sale. Perhaps no buyer or maybe a change of heart? If it's open, then it's a decent stop and is 5=8 mins from the Three Tuns.

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by Dave M View Post
    I think it is worth making suggestions for pubs you like though! Take Shakespeare Tavern for instance, I like it, think it is a decent place but I suspect some would be put of because it is a Greene King pub. Although to be fair at least these days they don't have only GK beers.
    Some been mentioned in list of pubs already, I do like The Golden Guinea quite a lot due to cool artwork etc for sale and the general vibe of the place. I also like The Ship and Ostrich Inn but these aren't based on real ale.

I don't mind the Shakespeare although on a previous visit nearly 3 years to the day it was the beginning of the demise of my girlfriend and status of in a relationship and by the end of the evening in the Old Duke I was single.

Do we need to add The Knights Templar (JD Wetherspoon) to the list as a starting point for those arriving by train to get a bit of food?

Quote Originally Posted by Quinno View Post
    Still seems to be going. It was reported in Pints West it was up for sale. Perhaps no buyer or maybe a change of heart? If it's open, then it's a decent stop and is 5=8 mins from the Three Tuns.
    I went there on 22/06/14 still open then.

I'll stay on me own

Some excellent suggestions, they should keep us going for a bit. Not sure who's doing the final choice but I'm glad is not me! A couple of others to throw in to the mix, although I'm sure I'll think of some more. The Barley Mow is near the station so my be a good one to include at the beginning or end. This is also Bristol Beer Factory, so may be an alternative to the Grain Barge.

If we're walking from The Three Tuns to The Grain Barge, then we could try The Bag o' Nails.

And besides the Beer Emporium, the nearby Small Bar and recently re-opened The Famous Royal Navy Volunteer may be worth a look.
    Last edited by Blackthorn; 04-08-2014 at 20:46.

This Space For Hire

Do we chuck in the BrewDog ?I think between Quinno and Dave M we can just continue to suggest pubs David.

Small bar reminds me I need to revisit especially since I can practically see it from my new office window.
    Last edited by bcfczuluarmy; 04-08-2014 at 21:10.

Quote Originally Posted by bcfczuluarmy View Post
    I also like The Ship and Ostrich Inn but these aren't based on real ale.
    Only visited the Ship once, I expected to hate it for some reason but it seemed alright. I do like the Ostrich, but mainly in the summer when you can sit outside!

Quote Originally Posted by bcfczuluarmy View Post
    Do we need to add The Knights Templar (JD Wetherspoon) to the list as a starting point for those arriving by train to get a bit of food?
    Yes I think that will be the inevitable meeting point for people arriving by train.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackthorn View Post
    The Barley Mow is near the station so my be a good one to include at the beginning or end. This is also Bristol Beer Factory, so may be an alternative to the Grain Barge.
    I didn't think of the Barley Mow (partly as I've never been there!). Good point though, definitely worth considering.

If we're walking from The Three Tuns to The Grain Barge, then we could try The Bag o' Nails.
    Bag o' Nails is worth a look, but particularly if Luke the landlord is around as I'm sure he'd be up for chatting to some of the crawlers (I know he used to partake on the BITE forums and still posts reviews on there. Come to think of it, I may just invite him to join the crawl!)
    And besides the Beer Emporium, the nearby Small Bar and recently re-opened The Famous Royal Navy Volunteer may be worth a look.
    Again a good point, I was aware that King Street was undergoing some sort of craft beer revolution but not sampled the Small Bar or been the FRNV in a couple of years.