Ads not shown when logged in
Page 20 of 22 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 LastLast

Thread: PuG Autumn/Winter meet. Bristol, Nov 14th 2014

Sorry if I offended anyone by loudly deriding the Famous Royal Navy Volunteer and Small Bar. Please believe me when I say that it's not meant as a personal criticism of anyone who liked those two bars when I describe them as poncy. Catia and I went in search of some proper pubs instead, and found a few "off piste".

At The Gryphon, a slightly grungy pub that has that lived in feel that I like, there were three hand pumps active, all with strong dark beers. As luck would have it, one was brewed in Rotherham (Chantry Diamond Black Stout: 4.5%), another was brewed even closer to home (Wood Street Brewery's Devilwood Stout 6.0%, brewed exactly one mile from where I live), so we went for the third beer, Nutbrook Midnight Stout 4.7%, which is brewed not a million miles from Sheffield at Ilkeston in Derbyshire. We didn't pay £45 each on the train to drink beers that are brewed on our doorstep!

While we were supping our stout, a man came into the pub and asked for a Guinness. The lass behind the bar explained that they don't have Guinness, they have a different keg stout or there were three others on hand pump. "OK, I'll have a cider," he said. Less than five minutes later, another man came in and asked for a Guinness. Once again, the lass behind the bar explained that they don't have Guinness, they have a different keg stout or there were three others on hand pump. "OK, I'll have a lager," he said.

Next stop was The Robin Hood on St Michaels Hill - we enjoyed the walk, and the pub was good too. We had Prescott Track Record 4.4% here, which was a beer I remember drinking in dire condition (the beer, not me) in Worcester in the spring; here at the Robin Hood is was in excellent nick.

Next we went back down the hill to The Yard, where I was delighted to see the revived Gadd's Dogbolter 5.6%, the beer that used to be brewed in the Firkin pub chain years ago. This was the first time I've seen it since the demise of that chain. There were also three Butcombe beers and one from Dark Star in this very pleasant pub.

We next tried to navigate our way across Bristol to the Three Tuns, where we hoped to meet up with the rest of the pub crawl, but went slightly wrong and found ourselves on Jacobs Wells Road. We popped into The Eldon House to check how far we were from the Three Tuns and asked for a half. "Will we come to the Three Tuns if we continue down Jacobs Wells Road?" I asked the landlord. "I'm not going to tell you!" he replied. "Why not?" quoth I. "Well. it's another pub, isn't it," he said, with a twinkle in his eye. We had a half of Bath Gem 4.1% between us (I told him we weren't going to be persuaded to buy more than that, so he might as well give us directions, which he did readily). By the time we got to the bottom of the hill, the group had made it to The Bag o' Nails, so that's where we rejoined.

Not for long, though, as Quinno led a splinter group to the Grain Barge. We somehow managed to shake off Trainman, Real Ale Ray and Fiona - it may have been the mad dash through the busy traffic on the A4 that did it - anyhow there were just the three of us when we arrived at the bar. We were grateful subsequently for Quinno's excellent navigational skills which got us to the Cornubia at two minutes to six o'clock, bang on schedule again.

We had a really good day out - the weather, as it usually is for a PuG crawl, was sunny and the company, needless to say, was fantastic. (Thanks to Rex for the beer mats - see photos below.) Also the beers we had were without exception in tremendous condition, served by friendly staff in pleasant surroundings. And to cap it all we made our train back to Sheffield with several minutes to spare.

Looking forward to the next one.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by sheffield hatter; 15-11-2014 at 23:14.
    Come On You Hatters!

This Space For Hire

These are on my doorstep and I've no qualms about avoiding them if I go out in town. When I went back in the NV after it reopening I thought WFT. Small Bar since changing I can only have 2/3 again WFT. Glad you found the Gyrphon as it is a quality pub and Camra listed. Robin Hood is also good and fair play for hitting St Michael's Hill. I do believe Real Ale Ray ventured there on Friday night and enjoyed it.
    Last edited by bcfczuluarmy; 15-11-2014 at 23:31.

We're not really 'ere! trainman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mobyduck View Post
    I have to ask, Jim, what was the crack with the guy in The Cornubia you were chatting to with the blanket over his face!
    Or it might have been the Bank Tavern, near the end anyway.
    Feck! Forgot about him! Not Cornubia, or may have clouded my potd vision. Oddball who had nowt interesting to say but, hey, he may be saying the same thing about me on weirdoesgalore.com!

This Space For Hire Real Ale Ray's Avatar

Cheers Dave and Tam, for the PUG 10th anniversary Bristol crawl and all our fellow drinkers on the day. Enjoyed new beers tried and some excellent pubs to add to my pub ticking collection, plus a good old laugh with everyone as per, a good old eventful day. Plus souvenir beer mats from Rex, very ingenious.

We arrived Thurs eve and headed straight to the Commercial Rooms for a Spoons slap up meal, curry and a pint. We navigated round a few pubs close to Spoons and then up some very steep steps called Christmas Steps and then up a load more steps to Zero Degrees. It was only around the corner and then up St Michael's Hill. A note to make here to the local Bristonians is that there is an excellent Greek Taverna on the right hand side at the beginning of St Michael's Hill, great food. Good to hear Will and Catia got to the Robin Hood as this is a good pub and all their ales are well kept.

Myself and Mrs A were a bit bedraggled yesterday morn, so apologies we didn't get to Spoons for breakfast. We did manage a couple of more pubs later on, that ended the trip. Oh yeah Trainman, it was me who rescued your bag from the Bank Tavern.

Mrs A will add some photos on here later.
    Last edited by Real Ale Ray; 16-11-2014 at 13:31.

Get some gravy on it. Maldenman's Avatar
    Motspur Park or whichever pub I happen to be in at the time.

Myself and Rex eventually discovered an Indian called 4500 miles from Delhi after walking around aimlessly for a while, a bit pricy but the food was very good. The following day we met Pubsignman for a Spoony breakfast, then Rex and myself picked up a few more, before getting the 3pm train back to London. As said a good day and good weekend overall.
    Ok, maybe just for one......................

Quote Originally Posted by Real Ale Ray View Post
    Oh yeah Trainman, it was me who rescued your bag from the Bank Tavern.
    Thanks Ray!

That bag has had many narrow escapes, including a solo journey to Brighton when one of the guys was waiting on wrong platform at East Croydon, so those of us already on train jumped off, leaving bag on luggage rack. Luckily, a call to Brighton meant the bag was waiting when we caught up with it from following train!

Get some gravy on it. Maldenman's Avatar
    Motspur Park or whichever pub I happen to be in at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by trainman View Post
    Thanks Ray!

That bag has had many narrow escapes, including a solo journey to Brighton when one of the guys was waiting on wrong platform at East Croydon, so those of us already on train jumped off, leaving bag on luggage rack. Luckily, a call to Brighton meant the bag was waiting when we caught up with it from following train!
    Tm, is this the same bag you once left in The Good Intent ? Didn't it also involve someone's camera?
    Ok, maybe just for one......................

Quote Originally Posted by Maldenman View Post
    Tm, is this the same bag you once left in The Good Intent ? Didn't it also involve someone's camera?
    Same theme, different bag...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_2774.jpg 
Views:	196 
Size:	1.61 MB 
ID:	1143

Name:	100_2776.jpg 
Views:	210 
Size:	1.33 MB 
ID:	1144

Name:	100_2780.jpg 
Views:	195 
Size:	1.18 MB 
ID:	1145

Name:	100_2781.jpg 
Views:	215 
Size:	1.30 MB 
ID:	1146

Name:	100_2773.jpg 
Views:	183 
Size:	1.26 MB 
ID:	1147

The recycling plant in the Royal Navy Gents - demonstrated by AEMClick image for larger version. 

Name:	100_2775.jpg 
Views:	184 
Size:	949.3 KB 
ID:	1148