Ads not shown when logged in
Page 9 of 22 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: PuG Autumn/Winter meet. Bristol, Nov 14th 2014

Quote Originally Posted by bcfczuluarmy View Post
    We got a plan on where to go yet?
    We're waiting on you locals to sort something out!
    Come On You Hatters!

This Space For Hire

Well a recent Cheltenham Camra visit saw them do the following on a day trip

The Knights Templar (JD Wetherspoon) Breakfast stop although the times some arriving may negate the need for this as a stop.
    Seven Stars
    BrewDog
    Small Bar
    The Famous Royal Navy Volunteer
    The Beer Emporium
    The Three Tuns
    Grain Barge
    The Bag o' Nails
    Barley Mow

All have been mentioned although considering the new 2015 GBG is out and some new additions have been included people could want to bag The Canteen which isn't too far out of the way.

It's a start considering Quinno hasn't suggested a POA.

Quote Originally Posted by bcfczuluarmy View Post
    Well a recent Cheltenham Camra visit saw them do the following on a day trip

The Knights Templar (JD Wetherspoon) Breakfast stop although the times some arriving may negate the need for this as a stop.
    Seven Stars
    BrewDog
    Small Bar
    The Famous Royal Navy Volunteer
    The Beer Emporium
    The Three Tuns
    Grain Barge
    The Bag o' Nails
    Barley Mow

All have been mentioned although considering the new 2015 GBG is out and some new additions have been included people could want to bag The Canteen which isn't too far out of the way.

It's a start considering Quinno hasn't suggested a POA.
    All looks good apart from the first one.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

Tickets now booked, arriving at 12:05 along with Big Steve, leaving at some point. See you there.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

This Space For Hire aleandhearty's Avatar

Just wondered if 'oldboots' and 'sheffield hatter' had bought their train tickets yet? Potentially, we'll all be travelling on the same train. Have the cheap fares been and gone, or not released yet? At the moment National Rail journey planner is showing the cheapest day return at £89.90 which seems rather steep, not to mention out of my league.
    'And where he supped the past lived still. And where he sipped the glass brimmed full' John Barleycorn, Carol Ann Duffy.

Quote Originally Posted by aleandhearty View Post
    Just wondered if 'oldboots' and 'sheffield hatter' had bought their train tickets yet? Potentially, we'll all be travelling on the same train. Have the cheap fares been and gone, or not released yet? At the moment National Rail journey planner is showing the cheapest day return at £89.90 which seems rather steep, not to mention out of my league.
    Been and gone, I imagine...

You coming out of Wakefield? Split the ticket at Cheltenham potentially...

Sadly I can't be there this time as stuff has come up. I will be at Otley Beer Festival on the Saturday though.

This Space For Hire aleandhearty's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Quinno View Post
    Been and gone, I imagine...

You coming out of Wakefield? Split the ticket at Cheltenham potentially...
    The reason I asked is, I've been dipping into the site, every few days, for weeks and not noticed any price drop. The Cheltenham split, if I've been doing it right, doesn't seem to make much difference.

Quote Originally Posted by oldboots View Post
    Sadly I can't be there this time as stuff has come up. I will be at Otley Beer Festival on the Saturday though.
    Mmm. If I don't make Bristol, I'll have to try and wangle a visit.
    'And where he supped the past lived still. And where he sipped the glass brimmed full' John Barleycorn, Carol Ann Duffy.

Yikes! That is a bit steep. I got my tickets at the end of August, so I probably missed some cheaper options myself - advance tickets are generally not available earlier than 12 weeks before the date of travel, but if you leave it to week 11, you can easily miss the cheapest fares. (We're now just five weeks from the Bristol trip.)

You can sometimes still get a cheaper deal by splitting the journey, as Quinno suggests (he mentioned Cheltenham, I've gone for Birmingham). For example Wakefield 06.47 to Birmingham arr 08.54, £17.20; dep Birm 9.42 arr Bristol Temple Meads 11.10, £24.90. Dep BTM 19.30 arr BNS 20.52, £19.70 ; dep BNS 21.03 arr Wake 22.59 £20.80 - total £82.60 which is not much better than the day return, with the risk of having to pay a full fare if you miss one of the trains. Looks like you've missed the boat, Andy. (Sorry!)

For future reference, this website tells you when tickets become available.
    Come On You Hatters!

There's always Megabus - tenner e/w Brum to Bristol

It also goes Leeds-Bristol but takes over 5hours e/w!!