Ads not shown when logged in
Page 4 of 22 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: PuG Autumn/Winter meet. Bristol, Nov 14th 2014

Can we settle on a date for this? (The vote seems to have gone in favour of Bristol as the venue.) No one has objected to 14th November, but Pubsignman said he couldn't make the 7th. In the absence of any other suggestions or objections, I suggest we go for Bristol on Friday, 14th November. Train tickets should be available soon, so if anyone has any last minute problem with the venue or date, better speak up now.
    Come On You Hatters!

Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
    Can we settle on a date for this? (The vote seems to have gone in favour of Bristol as the venue.) No one has objected to 14th November, but Pubsignman said he couldn't make the 7th. In the absence of any other suggestions or objections, I suggest we go for Bristol on Friday, 14th November. Train tickets should be available soon, so if anyone has any last minute problem with the venue or date, better speak up now.
    Should be able to get the day off so OK with me.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

Waterborne Beer Inspector Bucking Fastard's Avatar

Very happy with this plan for the next meet up.Good news that we will get some new attendees in Bristol according to the poll.See you all there.
    "Good people drink good beer" Hunter S Thompson

This Space For Hire Real Ale Ray's Avatar

Happy with that date, looking forward to it

Date fine by me, I'll book it off.

We'll also need to do the tricky bit of drawing up an itinerary.

Bristol urban centre is a massive place and really you can get at least two day's worth out of it. Given that we're nearly all coming on the train, it'd make sense to miss out Clifton (huge hill!) and maybe even the Hotwells Rd area for the 'Friday only' crowd.

I'm relatively au fait with central Bristol, and the following are immediate contenders given their proximity to Temple Meads:

Seven Stars
    Kings Head
    The Cornubia
    Bridge Inn

Further in there's
    The Bank
    The Three Tuns

And of course if there are some cider-heavy pubs like
    The Orchard Inn

Sure there'll be plenty of other shouts....
    Last edited by Quinno; 04-08-2014 at 13:30.

Thanks Quinno for kicking off the debate on which pubs to include! This is definitely the tricky bit as you've already pointed out the distances and hills could be an issue.

I'd be inclined to end the day doing the Seven Stars/Kings Head/Cornubia/Bridge circuit as that is the only part where there are going to be pubs nice and close together and it will only be about 10 minutes walk back to Temple Meads.

I'm quite fond of The Golden Guinea and Portwall Tavern if we are going to do some sort of round trip. Neither of them really special in any way just decent boozers with a few (usually local) ales.

If we want to cover some of the local breweries then Arbor are sorted with the Three Tuns, but it may be worth chucking in White Lion for some Wickwar. If there are some energetic people who fancy tackling hills then there are Colston Yard for Butcombe, Hillgrove Porter Stores for Dawkins and The Hare on the Hill for Bath Ales. Bristol Beer Factory would probably require a stroll along Hotwells to Grain Barge.

The Beer Emporium might be worth a look, I quite liked it on my one visit - but I was very drunk and only had a very expensive bottle of Belgian beer. In fact I'm sensing I need some nights out in central Bristol to check on some of these places as I've not really been to most of them in a while!

This Space For Hire aleandhearty's Avatar

The 14th sounds fine to me. However, as my attendance at PuG meetups seems to be under some sort of curse this year, I'm a bit hesitant about confirming, at the moment!
    'And where he supped the past lived still. And where he sipped the glass brimmed full' John Barleycorn, Carol Ann Duffy.

Quote Originally Posted by bcfczuluarmy View Post
    Bristol would suit me obviously, but I'd let others suggest an itinerary there's the obvious ones but not being a bitter drinker some of the ones I'd suggest may not suit.
    I think it is worth making suggestions for pubs you like though! Take Shakespeare Tavern for instance, I like it, think it is a decent place but I suspect some would be put of because it is a Greene King pub. Although to be fair at least these days they don't have only GK beers.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave M View Post
    I'd be inclined to end the day doing the Seven Stars/Kings Head/Cornubia/Bridge circuit as that is the only part where there are going to be pubs nice and close together and it will only be about 10 minutes walk back to Temple Meads.[/URL].
    Good thinking!

Quote Originally Posted by Dave M View Post
    Bristol Beer Factory would probably require a stroll along Hotwells to Grain Barge.
    Quinno's review of 24th May 2013 suggests that this one was on its last legs, but there's a Bristol Post article about it from three months ago, so it seems to be still there.

Looking at the map, the Orchard is directly over the river from the Barge, but presumably it's quite a long walk from one to t'other?
    Last edited by sheffield hatter; 04-08-2014 at 16:22.
    Come On You Hatters!

Waterborne Beer Inspector Bucking Fastard's Avatar

Quinno's review of 24th May 2013 suggests that this one was on its last legs, but there's a Bristol Post article about it from three months ago, so it seems to be still there.

Looking at the map, the Orchard is directly over the river from the Barge, but presumably it's quite a long walk from one to t'other?
    Why not try the cross harbour ferry ?http://www.numbersevenboattrips.co.uk/crossharbour.html
    "Good people drink good beer" Hunter S Thompson