Ads not shown when logged in
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Beer of the Week (w/e 28 Mar 2010)

We're not really 'ere! trainman's Avatar

Another week of relative abstinence for me , but a mid-week errand found me near Croydon's George and, like a few others this week, I found myself on the Jaipur. That though, was quickly reminding me that I shouldn't yet be on the lash, so I'll give botw to Twickenham Naked Ladies. All of 'em.

Get some gravy on it. Maldenman's Avatar
    Motspur Park or whichever pub I happen to be in at the time.

I'm yet to track down the Jaipur. I know its on Nicholson's Spring list, and I looked in a couple on Saturday but to no avail. I had a pint of Thornbridge Kipling a while ago in The Falcon (Clapham Junction for those unfamiliar), and I wasn't too sure, it had a strange aftertaste.
    Last edited by Maldenman; 29-03-2010 at 09:41. Reason: Clumsy typing

Quote Originally Posted by Maldenman View Post
    I'm yet to track down the Jaipur. I know its on Nicholson's Spring list, and I looked in a couple on Saturday but to no avail. I had a pint of Thornbridge Kipling a while ago in The Falcon (Clapham Junction for those unfamiliar), and I wasn't too sure, it had a strange aftertaste.
    There seems to be a lot of Thornbridge flying around at the moment - I had the Lord Marples for breakfast yesterday - wasn't particularly palateable and also had the Kipling quite recently. I've had Jaipur a couple of times (but not recently) and can't get on with it. I am the same with Fuller's new Bengal Lancer which from my memories of the Jaipur is a similar pint.

Lat weeks offerings, spread over two days:

Hop Deamon Incubus x 1
    Hogs Back, Spring Ale x 1
    Whitsable Brewery, Oyster Stout x 1
    Whitstable Brewery, Winkle Pickerx 1
    Two Ciders (cannot recall names or breweries) x 2
    Ringwood Best Bitter x 3
    Landlord x 1
    Deuchars IPA X 1
    Tyskie (Bottle) x 1
    San Miguel (Bottle) x 1
    Vodka & Coke x 3

BOTW: Hogs Back Spring Ale

This Space For Hire aleandhearty's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RogerB View Post
    but I think I will stick with the Cairngorm, Trade Winds as my BotW
    Undoubtedly, a fabulous beer. The first time I tasted it, I'd just done a ten mile walk in the Scottish Highlands. You can imagine how good it was.

Quote Originally Posted by ROBCamra View Post
    A couple of years ago whilst out and about in Bristle we called in a Bath Ales pub selling this very beer. Ms CAMRA suggested that I should order it in my full blown Lancashire accent without any attempt at the posh Baaaath pronunciation.

"A pint of Rur Ur please" was the result, as was a blank look from the barmaid.
    I'd have paid good money to see that. (We can barely understand you on the proper side of the Pennines, so what chance do they have in Brizzle?)
    'And where he supped the past lived still. And where he sipped the glass brimmed full' John Barleycorn, Carol Ann Duffy.

This Space For Hire aleandhearty's Avatar

After voicing my indifference to Clark's beers on another thread, I'm quite surprised to be nominating one as my BOTW.Clark's 'Freedom Ale' is a beer with a subtle smoky, peaty taste, doffing its cap at Laphroiag malt whisky. I know many disliked Hilden 'Gael Rua', but as I've not tasted it I can't compare the two. However, I suspect Freedom is a much more subtle affair, although probably still distinctive enough to be a 'Marmite' beer. Not for everyone, I'm sure, but I really enjoyed it.
    'And where he supped the past lived still. And where he sipped the glass brimmed full' John Barleycorn, Carol Ann Duffy.

Former Pubs Galore Coder

Quote Originally Posted by ROBCamra View Post
    A couple of years ago whilst out and about in Bristle we called in a Bath Ales pub selling this very beer. Ms CAMRA suggested that I should order it in my full blown Lancashire accent without any attempt at the posh Baaaath pronunciation.

"A pint of Rur Ur please" was the result, as was a blank look from the barmaid.
    You're lucky she didn't slap you, proposing something like that to a complete stranger

Quote Originally Posted by HTM69 View Post
    Two Ciders (cannot recall names or breweries) x 2
    Big Tree Cider - Appley Ever After (5.1%) & Fruity Beauty (??%)

Quote Originally Posted by RogerB View Post
    Big Tree Cider - Appley Ever After (5.1%) & Fruity Beauty (??%)
    Cheers Roger - very nice they were, too.

According to the site - http://www.cclweb.co.uk/cider/ciders.htm - there are a few different flavours of he 'Fruity Beauty', but no strength is shown! Fairly certain it was 5%, actually.
    Last edited by HTM69; 29-03-2010 at 13:45.

I know it's been around for some while, but last week I encountered Sambrook Junction for the first time in a pub in Wandsworth. I thought it was a superb pint, with a much fuller flavour than Sambrook's other offering, Wandle, and is my BOTW. Not surprising as it's a 4.5% ale compared to Wandle's 3.8%. Mind you it didn't have a lot of competition for my BOTW - apart from usual suspects, I managed Wychwood's Paddy's Tout; Grainstore Trible B; Sharp's Cornish Coaster; Brain's SA; and Downton Quadhop.