Ads not shown when logged in
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Harp Covent Garden

We're not really 'ere! trainman's Avatar

Quinno managed to avoid me by changing his day to visit, but I ended up there last night for rather more than I'd intended, after cancelling my mission to Croxley Green Sportsman.
    Fullers expected in early August, a couple of their beers next to current style of selection (last night's Darkstar APA, Palmers Dorset Gold, Oscar Wilde, all v good, and you know APA at £3.50 round here is a good price - most around Strand £3.90 & upwards, so it won't last...). Apparently Binnie was starting to struggle with stairs etc, but the excellent staff are staying - I was watching the well-oiled machine in action last night, Tim Martin should come take a look - people of this quality could treble his sales in busy pubs by simply supplying the product so much quicker, and politely, and attractively!
    No-one was sure about whether the cider selection would remain - i always forget they're listed on a blackboard but, if it's a known venue among apple-heads, that too would be a shame if it were lost.
    I think I heard something was planned re drinks for the old guard tomorrow (fri) nt, but i was fading a bit by then...
    Last edited by trainman; 24-07-2014 at 17:19.

Quote Originally Posted by trainman View Post
    I was watching the well-oiled machine in action last night, Tim Martin should come take a look - people of this quality could treble his sales in busy pubs by simply supplying the product so much quicker, and politely, and attractively!
    Amen to that!

Don't blame me for changing the date of my visit, blame the Foreign & Commonwealth Office...

Quote Originally Posted by Quinno View Post
    Amen to that!

Don't blame me for changing the date of my visit, blame the Foreign & Commonwealth Office...
    I was once a Civil Servant, or in my case almost certainly an Uncivil Servant, how long before you resign?

I'll stay on me own

Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
    I was once a Civil Servant, or in my case almost certainly an Uncivil Servant, how long before you resign?
    I was going to put this post on one of two other threads,but decided to put it on this one.

Am i the only factory worker that is a regular on the forum,i am now back working in the same industry that i had worked in for over 20 years,i had 10 years in heavy industry and after being made redundent just under 4 years in a supermarket.

On a lot of the posts on this site i dont understand half of what is being typed,way above my head,i also did'nt understand some of the wording in ETAs review of the Olive Branch,i dont know what OCD means or what an hash tag is.

So to end am i bottom of the pile or there other regulars on this forum that are not in office work or professionals of some sort or ex professionels.

Cheers Alan

Quote Originally Posted by Al 10000 View Post
    I was going to put this post on one of two other threads,but decided to put it on this one.

Am i the only factory worker that is a regular on the forum,i am now back working in the same industry that i had worked in for over 20 years,i had 10 years in heavy industry and after being made redundent just under 4 years in a supermarket.

On a lot of the posts on this site i dont understand half of what is being typed,way above my head,i also did'nt understand some of the wording in ETAs review of the Olive Branch,i dont know what OCD means or what an hash tag is.

So to end am i bottom of the pile or there other regulars on this forum that are not in office work or professionals of some sort or ex professionels.

Cheers Alan
    I think this is a very fair point, not just for this site but for CAMRA as well. My first point is that you are not bottom of the pile in my book, even though we clearly have completely different priorities when visiting an area, and I'm sure my priorities don't match a lot of other people's.

Working in the Civil Service when I was in it did not mean you were necessarily well educated at all. Some of the most uselees and ineffectual people were from well off and privileged backgrounds. I'll never forget the time when one of the bosses (an SEO then) who was a former Army Captain decided to call a meeting to decide when another meeting should be held.
    For your information OCD is an abbreviation of Obsessive Compulsive Disorder and generally refers to behaviour that "normal" people would find a bit strange. When I worked in the Civil Service there was a bloke who had to continually wash his hands to the extent that the skin on his hands became raw. This is real OCD in my book whereas going round twenty pubs in a day is completely normal.
    A Hash Tag is nothing more than a label that you can optionally attach to messages on Twitter (normally being perceived as humorous). I do use Twitter mostly to find out about pubs re-opening or new brewery news. I very rarely "tweet" (send messages)

Cheers Alan
    Never been an office worker in my life ,or would want to be,(although I may have ended up better off), worked outside all my life having flirted with self employment with varying degrees of success and failure, now earning a relative pittance but many are worse off. To me It doesn't matter what you are or do or have done, (within reason of course), its all about are you happy and enjoying what you do now, live for the day.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

This Space For Hire gillhalfpint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mobyduck View Post
    Never been an office worker in my life ,or would want to be,(although I may have ended up better off), worked outside all my life having flirted with self employment with varying degrees of success and failure, now earning a relative pittance but many are worse off. To me It doesn't matter what you are or do or have done, (within reason of course), its all about are you happy and enjoying what you do now, live for the day.
    Well said. I became an office worker when the school said I couldn't be a long distance lorry driver. No chance for females in the early 60's. I did get the freedom of the road in the 70's though by taking a hackney licence test and enjoyed a stint of being a licensed taxi driver and that included the long hot summer of '76. Wonderful days fondly remembered.
    Alcohol doesn't solve problems .... but then again, neither does milk.

Should clarify, I do not work at the FCO! My drinking buddy for that night at the Harp does though...

And for the record I am equal opportunities - I think we're all equally as sad as each other, whether or not we've eaten a Roget's Thesaurus for breakfast.
    Last edited by Quinno; 25-07-2014 at 23:43.

Cheers Alan
    Only piles I know about are from sitting on my tractor!
    "At that moment I would have given a kingdom, not for champagne or hock and soda, or hot coffee but for a glass of beer" Marquess Curzon of Kedlestone, Viceroy of India.

Not sure where I would fit in, people have paid me at various times as a horticultural labourer, shop assistant, Barman, factory worker, office worker and IT engineer, although I've always been a layabout having spent a few years as a professional student