Ads not shown when logged in
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 56

Thread: Harp Covent Garden

  1. #1
    This Space For Hire Aqualung's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    4,356

    Default Harp Covent Garden

    Someone called catbert on the other site has posted that as of this week the Harp is a Fuller's pub.
    Does anyone know if this is real or a hoax? There is nothing on their twitter feed.

  2. #2
    Still about Mobyduck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Junction 5, M3 , well fairly close.
    Posts
    4,089

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
    Someone called catbert on the other site has posted that as of this week the Harp is a Fuller's pub.
    Does anyone know if this is real or a hoax? There is nothing on their twitter feed.
    I would think a Hoax, although I have heard Binnie is not in the best of health at the moment, I seriously hope its a hoax.
    Last edited by Mobyduck; 16-07-2014 at 18:50.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

  3. #3
    This Space For Hire
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Brentford
    Posts
    2,097

    Default

    I have read reports today that Binnie has retired and that Fullers have paid circa £7 million. London Pride yummy.

  4. #4
    This Space For Hire Aqualung's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    4,356

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by london calling View Post
    I have read reports today that Binnie has retired and that Fullers have paid circa £7 million. London Pride yummy.
    That's one less on my Central London list and it's already in single figures. I might as well make the whole area a no-go zone!
    She should have a comfortable retirement if that figure is correct.

  5. #5
    This Space For Hire Pubsignman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Croydon and occasionally Dorset
    Posts
    938

  6. #6
    I'll stay on me own
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Nottingham
    Posts
    1,696

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
    That's one less on my Central London list and it's already in single figures. I might as well make the whole area a no-go zone!.
    It seems to me a bit,no quite sad that you only have less than 9 pubs that you like to go in in the middle of London,so the rest are no go pubs,not sure what the problem is with the probably thousand os so other proper pubs,that was a guess by the way.

    I would be very happy drinking in most central London pubs,but i have already done most of them apart from the new expensive craft bars which i have no intention of doing,unless really needing to to a new pub with no others nearby.

    At that rate there may only be around 60 pubs to visit in the whole country that you really like,i am glad i like going in almost any pub, because it must be very hard work finding a pub that suits you.

  7. #7
    This Space For Hire Aqualung's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    4,356

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Al 10000 View Post
    It seems to me a bit,no quite sad that you only have less than 9 pubs that you like to go in in the middle of London,so the rest are no go pubs,not sure what the problem is with the probably thousand os so other proper pubs,that was a guess by the way.

    I would be very happy drinking in most central London pubs,but i have already done most of them apart from the new expensive craft bars which i have no intention of doing,unless really needing to to a new pub with no others nearby.

    At that rate there may only be around 60 pubs to visit in the whole country that you really like,i am glad i like going in almost any pub, because it must be very hard work finding a pub that suits you.
    My main gripe against Central London pubs is the prices and if you hit them at the wrong time the fact that they are so busy. The second and last time I went to the Harp last September it was around 10:30 and I was the only customer. I had a pint of Dark Star American Pale Ale that was £3.45 which is 25p less than I recently paid in the Brewery Tap for the same drink and it was served in far better condition. If the Harp sells anything less than four quid a pint once Fullers have settled in then I will be very surprised.
    You and me have completely different priorities, mine is to visit a pub selling beer that I actually enjoy and that doesn't cost an arm and a leg. If it's a beer I don't recall trying before or haven't tried in years then that is a plus. I had more than enough rubbish keg beer or undrinkable cask when I used to play darts. That priority makes Central London generally not worth bothering with. I found nearly all the Central London Spoons very disappointing compared to the better ones in the suburbs, even those in the GBG.

    If I travel around London out of my area I try and find an interesting looking pub that I haven't been to and combine it with a Spoons that I like, for example the new micropub in Petts Wood.


    I'm going to Derby soon and the problem there is which pubs to include and which to leave out. The difference in beer prices compared to Central London more than covers the cost of the travel, plus I will certainly be trying loads of new beers. Two pubs I will definitely be including are the Alexandra and Brunswick near the Station which I have been to before and really liked. Everything else will be new.

    Summing up, why should I bother with Central London when there are plenty of places in the suburbs I'd like to go that are quieter and cheaper. I have a freedom pass so I can get anywhere in Greater London for nothing and that includes buses, tubes, Overground and DLR before 09:30.

  8. #8
    This Space For Hire aleandhearty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    West Yorkshire
    Posts
    3,091

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post

    I'm going to Derby soon...Two pubs I will definitely be including are the Alexandra and Brunswick near the Station which I have been to before and really liked. Everything else will be new.
    Another one you might like to consider is the Furnace Inn, Duke Street, with its on site micro Shiny Brewing. Their beers seem to wend their way up to Wakefield at regular intervals and of those I've tried I've been very impressed. Several have been nominated for BOTW, or bubbling just under.
    'And where he supped the past lived still. And where he sipped the glass brimmed full' John Barleycorn, Carol Ann Duffy.

  9. #9
    Roving RAT ROBCamra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Rochdale
    Posts
    4,991

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by aleandhearty View Post
    Another one you might like to consider is the Furnace Inn, Duke Street, with its on site micro Shiny Brewing. Their beers seem to wend their way up to Wakefield at regular intervals and of those I've tried I've been very impressed. Several have been nominated for BOTW, or bubbling just under.
    Spent a couple of hours at Derby Festival talking to Pedro (the brewer at Shiny) as he manned their own stall.

    The Furnace has won Derby POTY against some VERY stiff competition.

    They also claim to be the only brewery in the UK with fishing rights on a stretch of river. In this case the Derwent.
    A pub is for life not just for Christmas

  10. #10
    This Space For Hire Aqualung's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    4,356

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by aleandhearty View Post
    Another one you might like to consider is the Furnace Inn, Duke Street, with its on site micro Shiny Brewing. Their beers seem to wend their way up to Wakefield at regular intervals and of those I've tried I've been very impressed. Several have been nominated for BOTW, or bubbling just under.
    It's on my list but the trouble is my list is way too long! I'll bear your recommendation in mind. My "target" pub to visit for a few pints is the New Zealand Arms as it's away from the centre and belongs to a small micro (and nobody has reviewed it yet). I've no doubt at all that I will visit Derby at least once again and probably wouldn't bother with all three Spoons so maybe the Furnace could be a "target" pub then, but of course there may be something completely new by then!

Similar Threads

  1. Kamique, Covent Garden
    By rpadam in forum Name changes
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-05-2014, 11:37
  2. Covent Garden Name Change
    By ETA in forum That Doesn't Go There!
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 24-09-2013, 18:26
  3. O'Neill's, Covent Garden
    By Rex_Rattus in forum That Doesn't Go There!
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-01-2013, 17:52
  4. Greenman & French Horn, Covent Garden
    By Rex_Rattus in forum That Doesn't Go There!
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 24-11-2012, 14:56
  5. O'Neills - Covent Garden
    By Pubsignman in forum That Doesn't Go There!
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-05-2012, 16:39

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •