Ads not shown when logged in
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pub Of The Month - July 2014

Default Pub Of The Month - July 2014

A pub is for life not just for Christmas

In the unlikely event of my going to the pub in the next few days, my pub of the month is the ever reliable Farmers Arms
    "At that moment I would have given a kingdom, not for champagne or hock and soda, or hot coffee but for a glass of beer" Marquess Curzon of Kedlestone, Viceroy of India.

I'm not going anywhere other than local until next month so here is my POTM for July.
    It's The New Zealand Arms in Derby. It's a back-street corner local, but what makes it stand out is the fact that it's a Dancing Duck tied house with six of their beers on. I stopped for four of them and they were all superb. The two near Derby Station (The Alexandra and Brunswick) were just as good as my distant memories, but this one being on the Western edge of Derby was so much pleasanter than those central pubs. They've got a big screen so I would avoid it if there was a footbore match on.

I thought the Dark Star Brewery Tap the Partridge at Partridge Green would be a serious contender but it wasn't as the beer quality was nowhere near as good as the Evening Star, The Harp or even several London Spoons. I would like to think that this was a bad day for it, but they were also using an assortment of normal and line-measure glasses which makes me think that the management is slack.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that this isn't listed in an Old Derby guide. Does anyone know it's original ownership?
    Last edited by Aqualung; 29-07-2014 at 12:47.

Pub of the Month goes to Brighton's Hand in Hand. an interesting and very good pub .
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

Waterborne Beer Inspector Bucking Fastard's Avatar

The Baum

I've been lucky enough to visit some terrific pubs in West Yorkshire,Lancashire ,Greater Manchester, Sheffield and Cheltenham in July,so POTM was always going to be a tricky decision,but I can see why ROB Camra's local has won so many awards and it was kind to get the guided tour from the man himself.Great pub and a very friendly place to visit.
    "Good people drink good beer" Hunter S Thompson

This Space For Hire Real Ale Ray's Avatar

A few contenders this month. Enjoyed our visit to this pub in Nottingham Crafty Crow a friendly pub with excellent beer. Also this one on Will's birthday crawl was excellent The Sheaf View

POTM is this one The Star Inn a gem of a pub and already looking forward to a return visit.

Waterborne Beer Inspector Bucking Fastard's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Real Ale Ray View Post
    A few contenders this month. Enjoyed our visit to this pub in Nottingham Crafty Crow a friendly pub with excellent beer. Also this one on Will's birthday crawl was excellent The Sheaf View

POTM is this one The Star Inn a gem of a pub and already looking forward to a return visit.
    Some very good research there Ray ,might divert my route south to take in both those pubs in Nottingham and Beeston.
    "Good people drink good beer" Hunter S Thompson

I'll stay on me own

Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
    I'm not going anywhere other than local until next month so here is my POTM for July.
    It's The New Zealand Arms in Derby.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that this isn't listed in an Old Derby guide. Does anyone know it's original ownership?
    The New Zealand Arms was originally and Ind Coope tied house,i first went in it on 19th May 1985,it then sold crap fizzy beer which is the reason it is not in any old Derby guides,by the mid 90s the pub had been branded a Festival ale house and stocked many real ales,i have only been in the pub twice.

Quote Originally Posted by Al 10000 View Post
    The New Zealand Arms was originally and Ind Coope tied house,i first went in it on 19th May 1985,it then sold crap fizzy beer which is the reason it is not in any old Derby guides,by the mid 90s the pub had been branded a Festival ale house and stocked many real ales,i have only been in the pub twice.
    Thanks for tha, how did I guess that you would know the answer!
    My suspicion was that it was Bass, so I got that wrong. I'm not surprised it failed as a Festival Ale house, from what I recall they were town centre based. The Dancing Duck people will have to work hard to make it pay, but there was a CAMRA coach party turned up from Walsall while I was there.

I'll stay on me own

Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
    Thanks for tha, how did I guess that you would know the answer!
    My suspicion was that it was Bass, so I got that wrong. I'm not surprised it failed as a Festival Ale house, from what I recall they were town centre based. The Dancing Duck people will have to work hard to make it pay, but there was a CAMRA coach party turned up from Walsall while I was there.
    No problem,i have done almost all pubs in the city of Derby over many years,i have took a photo of the New Zealand in its Festival Ale guise.

I personally think it is a bit too far out of town to work,ashbourne road has lost many pubs over the years which is a busy road,the New Zealand is'nt the easiest pub to find as you no doubt know.