Ads not shown when logged in
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pubs in Salisbury - advice

Official PG MILD tester Soup Dragon's Avatar

Default Pubs in Salisbury - advice

Hi guys

I booked up for a few days with the wife in Salisbury and was wondering if you had some ideas for pubs to keep an eye out for - also, will pop into Winchester, so a couple there would be of help. Cheers.
    MILD:

I did a 13 pub crawl of Salisbury last year and throughly enjoyed it (it would have been 14 but we somehow walked past one pub (Deacons) without spotting it). In brief, my schedule was...

Kings Head - 'Spoons - looks better outside than in. Good for a breakfast pint. If weather good best to sit outside by river.

Wig & Quill - 15th century 2 room pub with lots of character. 4 varied ales. Pleasant garden.

New Inn - Rambling Ye Olde style pub with plenty of low ceilings, beams and pillars. Badger beers. Large garden with views of cathedral.

Old Mill - Lovely setting and classic walk across the Water Meadows. Good pub but Greene King.

Cloisters - Old but fake looking interior. A bit too geared for diners and just a couple of ales that you will find elsewehere. Very much a lucky dip option.

Haunch Of Venison - Probably the most famous pub and worth visiting for the interior. Make sure you peek at the severed hand in the recess to the left of the fireplace in the rear room (take a small torch). Expensive but you can't really not do it.

Chough - was Hidden brewery pub but recently taken over - seems to just have standard ales so probably not worth the effort unless you end up with time to kill.

Avon Brewery - OK as a lucky dip but nothing essential.

Royal George - very disappointied with the ale selection and the pub in general but, again, pop in if passing.

Wyndham Arms - Original home of Hop Back Brewery and full range available although beers no longer brewed here. Slightly out of town but still easily walkable.

Winchester Gate - OK but only worth making the effort in conjunction with the Wyndham Arms nearby.

Rai D'or - was about to be refurbished when we were there so limited beers. Good repuation for interesting ales but more of a Thai restaurant. Perhaps worth having a meal / beer combination.

Village - near station. Basic unpretentious boozer with a good reputation for ales. This was pub 13 - I would need to go back for a clearer picture of the place!

I think all the above have been fully reveiwed by me, certainly on BITE but probably transferred across to PG. There were still a good dozen pubs I didn't get to that I would hope to do on a fresh visit so hopefully I will make a speedy return there myself at some stage.

Roger's pretty much got it for Salisbury,

Deacons and the Village for very good ale are both near the station, Deacons is across the road at the bottom to the right, Village is to the left under the bridge and keep going up Wilton Rd. The Wyndham and the Winchester Gate are close to each other at the other end of town, likewise good for ale, the Winchester is on the other side of the ringroad, accesed by subway. The Haunch is a tourist trap but worth a quick look, the "hand" may have been stolen recently IIRC. Royal George if you like brass tat with fairly decent beer. Cloisters or Rai D'or for food, Rai D'or does more of the micros as well as the Thai meals. I've also reviewed them on PuG but all were done last year. I don't think there's much in the way of MILD

In Winchester things are a bit dire, the Blackboy is probably unmissable but it's right at the bottom of the High Street then a walk up Chesil St, good beer - mad decor. The Bishop on the Bridge is a not bad, modern interiored Fullers pub near the Guildhall and King Alfred's statue, the Eclipse is fine but only does major brewer's beers,and it's opposite the Cathedral, the Old Vine nearby is a bit foody, the St James Tavern is a small Wadworths pub with a wine bar feel, famous burgers and live music some evenings, it's just past the West Gate, the Castle (with King Arthur's round table) and before you reach the Prison (Tess of the D'Ubervilles). The 'Spoons in Jewry St isn't bad either. It's a trek to the Fulflood but worth it if you have the time, likewise a trek to the famous Wykeham Arms near the College. You might get Banks's Original in the Westgate (opposite the West Gate) if you get withdrawal symptoms. I've reviewed most of these on PuG, some more recently than others.

Fully paid up beer belly Farway's Avatar

Whilst in Winchester area, and dire beer, how about the Flowerpots at Cheriton? brews his own on site. Elizabeth Mcgraw rates it worth a visit as well

http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/59523/ with link to his website

Never been in, not open when I took the pic

Hope the missus is driving that day

thank you, gentlemen - i have noted the names and will see what i can get through - i like the look of the Flowerpots though, Farway - the missus will drive as well - we are in her car!

i am hoping to be at Salisbury v Forest Green tomorrow and Eastleigh v Dorchester (cummon the Dorks) on Friday night, for anyone interested in footy.
    MILD:

I'd go along with what Roger and ob have said about both Salisbury and Winchester.

I'd also add;

Salisbury - check the times of the Wyndham as it doesn't open until later; the Old Ale House in Crane Street is fairly central and may be worth a visit; another suggestion would be the Anchor and Hope.

Winchester - the one I would definitely add is the Hyde Tavern in Hyde Street, reputed to be one of the oldest pubs in the city and usually has about 4 real ales on that are poured staright from the barrel plus another couple on hand pump. I quite often visit pubs in Winchester and have worked out a route that gets around pubs like the Fulford, St James' Tavern and out to the Black Boy. It's not a big city so is easily covered on foot.

Have a good time.

I've been in the Wykenham Arms in Winchester - it's quirky inside. The Hyde Tavern was quite welcoming too. Both are worth a visit. I don't remember the others.

While I was trying to jog my memory I noticed that the Black Boy has good reviews as well.
    Last edited by Andy Ven; 22-03-2010 at 17:54. Reason: To clarify

We're not really 'ere! trainman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Farway View Post
    Whilst in Winchester area, and dire beer, how about the Flowerpots at Cheriton? brews his own on site.
    I've had that on my list for a while, along with the nearby Hinton Arms - was intending to diversify from a trip to Alton via Watercress line to New Alresford then bus down to these two. Not happened yet.
    I failed to review Winchester (at all) but the Black Boy stood out for good beer and decor madness (& excellent bar footy table), also St James Tavern was friendly with guests as well as Wadworths, ob may be slightly harsh with the 'wine bar feel' (they put tv on for us to watch a communal bet go down the pan) but this was 3or4 yrs ago.
    The Salisbury(-ish) one that I don't see mentioned here is the Victoria & Albert, 2miles away in Netherhampton (beyond Old Mill). Largely set up for dining on our Sunday debrief, but lovely smell of wood fire & 4 interesting beers (all around 5% for some reason). Opposite church, nice position.
    Last edited by trainman; 22-03-2010 at 19:07.

Quote Originally Posted by Soup Dragon View Post
    thank you, gentlemen - i have noted the names and will see what i can get through - i like the look of the Flowerpots though, Farway - the missus will drive as well - we are in her car!
    If you're driving between Salisbury and Winchester you could take a small detour off the A31 at Romsey and try to find the Newport Inn at Braishfield - a wonderful unique pub, formerly a Gales house now Fullers but full of character. Flower Pots beer is excellent and is sometimes found on the RailAle trains on the Watercress Line.

Cheers OB - will drop you a drunken text every so oftento let you know how i am getting on
    MILD: