Ads not shown when logged in
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Beer of the Week (w/e 22nd June 2014)

A very good week:
    Rudgate Brew No 5
    Empire Commerciale*
    Rat James Herbert*
    Rat The Rat of Khan*
    Hopcraft/Northern Monk Crafty Monk*
    Salopian Golden Thread*
    Copper Dragon Golden Pippin
    Oakham Bishops Farewell*
    Titanic Iceberg*
    Blue Monkey Ape Ale*

As the number of asteriks suggest, in any other week these beers would have taken the title and a special mention must go to the Rat beers tried at the brewery tap in Huddersfield as all were excellent.
    BOTW was Hopcraft/Northern Monk - Crafty Monk, a 5.7% red IPA. I can't top the brewers description so here it is:
    "We brewed a strong-ish (it should be around 5.7% or so) red IPA - so watch Roger Protz go apoplectic about this further nonsensical beer style - with what must be the biggest hop charge we’ve used thus far (and probably the most expensive too...!) with over 2kg per barrel of lovely Summit, Citra, Galaxy, Simcoe, Centennial and Chinook all drowned in the name of lupuliciousness."
    Not for some but for me it was fabulous.

Quote Originally Posted by Thuck Phat View Post
    A very good week:
    Rudgate Brew No 5
    Empire Commerciale*
    Rat James Herbert*
    Rat The Rat of Khan*
    Hopcraft/Northern Monk Crafty Monk*
    Salopian Golden Thread*
    Copper Dragon Golden Pippin
    Oakham Bishops Farewell*
    Titanic Iceberg*
    Blue Monkey Ape Ale*

As the number of asteriks suggest, in any other week these beers would have taken the title and a special mention must go to the Rat beers tried at the brewery tap in Huddersfield as all were excellent.
    BOTW was Hopcraft/Northern Monk - Crafty Monk, a 5.7% red IPA. I can't top the brewers description so here it is:
    "We brewed a strong-ish (it should be around 5.7% or so) red IPA - so watch Roger Protz go apoplectic about this further nonsensical beer style - with what must be the biggest hop charge we’ve used thus far (and probably the most expensive too...!) with over 2kg per barrel of lovely Summit, Citra, Galaxy, Simcoe, Centennial and Chinook all drowned in the name of lupuliciousness."
    Not for some but for me it was fabulous.
    Not tried it unfortunately,but strikes me as over egging the pudding!
    "At that moment I would have given a kingdom, not for champagne or hock and soda, or hot coffee but for a glass of beer" Marquess Curzon of Kedlestone, Viceroy of India.

This Space For Hire aleandhearty's Avatar

A good week for me, including an all too brief session in the excellent company of Thuck Phat and Bucking Fastard, managing to take in three of Huddersfield's finest.

Allgates - Barley Brook.
    Shiny - Golden Mild.*
    Phoenix - Midsummer Madness.
    1648 - Sacred Solstice.
    Great Heck - Golden Bull.
    Great Heck - Porter.
    Fernandes - Octohop.
    Fernandes - Sunshine IPA.*
    Fernandes - Janie's Addiction.
    Fernandes - Tropical Breeze.
    Lymestone - Stone Cutter.
    Clarks - Jutland.
    Pictish - Brewers Gold.
    Salopian - Golden Thread.*
    Brew Co - Mosaic.*
    First Chop - TOC.
    Welbeck Abbey - Harley.
    Salamander - Mr President.
    Rat - James Herbert.*
    Rat - Rat of Khan.*
    Hopcraft / Northern Monk - Crafty Monk.*
    Durham - Citra Nova.
    Abbeydale - Black Mass.*
    Magic Rock - Ringmaster.*

A strong list this week, but the Crafty Monk was the one that stood out, really impressing both TP and myself. If I hadn't been so time squeezed, I suspect several more might have been sunk.
    'And where he supped the past lived still. And where he sipped the glass brimmed full' John Barleycorn, Carol Ann Duffy.

Quote Originally Posted by oldboots View Post
    ? - Pit Canary
    Wharfe Bank Brewery ?
    https://untappd.com/b/wharfebank-bre...-canary/444377.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

Quote Originally Posted by Wittenden View Post
    Not tried it unfortunately,but strikes me as over egging the pudding!
    It does and I hadn't read that before I tried it but found it interesting having done so.

It certainly didn't taste as though the pudding had been over egged though - dare I say that the flavour was well balanced -and I'd happily try a few more if I see it again.

Quote Originally Posted by Mobyduck View Post
    Yep that's the one. I had it in York, sadly it was dross. Thanks for the info.

I feel obliged to intervene here. I had a Wharfebank Black IPA at the last Spoons fest and found it to be average in two different Spoons.
    Hopcraft beers have been sold for a while in the William IV in Leyton and when the Brodie's brewer has entered the bar and tried them I have it on authority that he hasn't been a happy bunny as they have mostly been as good or better than his own brews. In my experience their beers are truly exceptional. I'm reluctant to put beers in the Brilliant category but did it for their Beast.

I live about 15 miles from Pool in Wharfedale where Wharfebank are based and so I drink them quite often. I find their beers generally good although not in the same league as Roosters or Kirkstall so your assessment as average is maybe a little harsh on Spoons. They also market beer under the name Firestorm. I can't blame the York pub I drank it in for Pit Canary as it was on keg so should have been as Wharfebank intended.

I live about 15 miles from Pool in Wharfedale where Wharfebank are based and so I drink them quite often. I find their beers generally good although not in the same league as Roosters or Kirkstall so your assessment as average is maybe a little harsh on Spoons. They also market beer under the name Firestorm. I can't blame the York pub I drank it in for Pit Canary as it was on keg so should have been as Wharfebank intended.
    Yes, "average" probably was a bit strong, my main problem was that it didn't taste much like a Black IPA. Maybe they should have just described it as a dark bitter.
    The beer in question was called Black Geld.
    Last edited by Aqualung; 24-06-2014 at 11:06.

This Space For Hire aleandhearty's Avatar

Wharfebank...I find their beers generally good although not in the same league as Roosters or Kirkstall...
    Pretty much my view, don't think I've ever had a Wharfebank beer to set the pulse racing. Just as an aside, I think with the arrival of the Wharfedale brewery, there's going to be some confusion between the two, for those outside the immediate area.
    'And where he supped the past lived still. And where he sipped the glass brimmed full' John Barleycorn, Carol Ann Duffy.