Ads not shown when logged in

Thread: One for Dave M

Default One for Dave M

From Twitter

Pub Curmudgeon ‏@oldmudgie 8h

Why is Pubs Galore still using long-defunct 1974 counties in Wales? http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/countries/wales/

Maybe it's something to do with this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Preserv...nties_of_Wales
    The alternative looks like a nightmare: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Local_government_in_Wales
    Come On You Hatters!

Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
    The alternative looks like a nightmare: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Local_government_in_Wales
    That is exactly it.

By using the old postal counties we have a nice easy way of matching up postcodes with a county. Even though Royal Mail no longer even use those counties.

Thinking of other pubs sites, WhatPub don't bother with counties (or indeed browsing, it is search only as far as I can tell), Pubutopia have never used them, Fancyapint uses postal counties like us and BITE uses a mixture of whatever they are given.

Is anyone able to post a reply (not a Tweeter myself...)

Quote Originally Posted by Dave M View Post
    That is exactly it.

By using the old postal counties we have a nice easy way of matching up postcodes with a county. Even though Royal Mail no longer even use those counties.

Thinking of other pubs sites, WhatPub don't bother with counties (or indeed browsing, it is search only as far as I can tell), Pubutopia have never used them, Fancyapint uses postal counties like us and BITE uses a mixture of whatever they are given.
    Welsh Counties and postal addresses are a law unto themselves. Several Welsh pubs in Wrexham County and some 30 miles into Powys, have English (Shropshire) addresses. Wales gets a few back where certain Shropshire pubs near to the Welsh Border to the south of Wrexham have Welsh (Wrexham) addresses.
    Most of my post has a Denbighshire address, but the banks and a few other people still use Clwyd!
    Back to beer - What Pub/GBG uses North-East Wales (Denbighshire, Flintshire, Wrexham and Conwy or in "old money", Clwyd and bits of Gwynedd!!)
    Confused - I am and I live there!
    Last edited by AlanH; 11-06-2014 at 14:29.

Teetotal

The issue is that the 1974 counties in Wales were swept away in the 1996 local government reorganisation as administrative units. Yes, they still exist as preserved counties for purposes of lieutenancy but they don't really mean much to people on the ground. It would be more meaningful to users of the site to adopt the system used by CAMRA in the Good Beer Guide which groups current local authorities into larger areas - for example, Anglesey, Conwy and Gwynedd form "North-West Wales".

The same problem exists in Scotland, but in England Pubs Galore has scrapped the defunct post-1974 counties such as Humberside and Avon and recognised Herefordshire and Rutland as counties in their own right.

I've had slight difficulties finding places near County boundaries simply because I'm used to the GBG County based system.
    I've noticed inconsistencies in Gwynedd with the Postal Area set up. There seems to be a mix between single town Postal Areas and for example Caernarfon which includes Llanberis which I would have thought was a town in it's own right and Nant Gwynant which really should be linked with Beddgelert. Do I want it changed? NO!! It just isn't worth all the grief.