Ads not shown when logged in
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Most decimated area for lost pubs

This Space For Hire

Default Most decimated area for lost pubs

After a trip to http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/areas/sa...er-manchester/ to meet my new employers on the way home I saw a boarded pub The Albert Vaults , I had spotted a couple one being The Crown Hotel close by between hotel I stayed at and the office but thought little of it as looked older conversions.

Interested to see if it was closed I searched and to my amasement saw nearly all the pubs in this area shut. Is this the worst decimation of pubs out there in anyone area?

Guess with Manchester City Centre on it's doorstep that this may be a reason why so many pubs lost as nobody thinks of Salford as a place really in city Centre terms.

I think there are very many places where the pub population has been more than decimated, however that aside Stockport is particularly noted for closures above 10% as is Stoke. I read an article recently about another place in the north west, possibly Burnley, that has lost 30-40% of its pubs in recent months. London is also notorious for pub closures mainly based on property prices.

The general trend now seems to be for suburban pubs to close rather than rural or city/town centre ones. Rural and central pubs seem to have already reduced down to a more stable number as owners have cashed in on property prices or the business has failed for one reason or another. We all know the range of reasons; social changes, demographics, smoking ban, red tape, recession, property prices and health facists. The other driver is probably the debt mountain of Punch/Enterprise which doesn't have a geographical or sociological basis but simply the need to generate enough money to pay the interest.

Around Leeds and York it's estate pubs that are going, the city centres are expanding pub-wise; in the market towns it's the edge of town pubs especially as conversions to supermarkets, most of the rural ones are already either restaurants or houses.

Just tick the Closed Pubs option for E5, E2 or E8 in London to view the carnage there. The vast majority of them belonged to the the Big Six brewers so by and large the best you could expect was a rank pint of Charrington's IPA or later Ind Coope Burton Ale.
    Ironically the areas are going up market so there are options there now, not cheap and mostly trendy.

Quote Originally Posted by bcfczuluarmy View Post
    After a trip to http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/areas/sa...er-manchester/ to meet my new employers on the way home I saw a boarded pub The Albert Vaults , I had spotted a couple one being The Crown Hotel close by between hotel I stayed at and the office but thought little of it as looked older conversions.

Interested to see if it was closed I searched and to my amasement saw nearly all the pubs in this area shut. Is this the worst decimation of pubs out there in anyone area?

Guess with Manchester City Centre on it's doorstep that this may be a reason why so many pubs lost as nobody thinks of Salford as a place really in city Centre terms.

The area of worst decimation depends on the timescale and the size of the area chosen. Salford in general, and the area of Chapel Street in particular must be contenders. Virtually all the pubs on our old Chapel Street crawl have gone over the last 30 years. Hundreds of pubs in Salford have vanished in the same period. In more recent years, a few more have gone, but not on the same scale as there were not that many left to close!
    Other areas, like nearby Hulme, have lost most of the original pubs, plus many of the "new" estate replacement pubs now also closed.

I'll stay on me own

Take a look at the Radford area of Nottingham,it has lost loads of pubs since the early 90s

This is a list of a typical crawl we did,not always in the same order.

Royal George, Home Ales closed
    Red Lion, Whitbread, now Organ Grinder, Open
    Rose and Crown, HOme Ales, closed
    Generous Briton, Shipstones, closed
    Sir Walter Raleigh, Ansells, closed
    Albion Inn, Home Ales, closed
    Cricketers, Shipstones, closed
    Queen Hotel, Home Ales, closed
    Forest Inn, Shipstones, closed
    Marquis of Waterford, Whitbread, closed
    Spread Eagle, Home Ales, closed
    Alma, Shipstones, closed
    Penny Farthing (now Colonel Burnaby) Whitbread Open
    Moulders Arms, Shipstones, closed
    Running Horse, Shipstones, closed

This was a fairly regular crawl i did with my mates in the early 80s through to the late 80s,
    i still did the crawl with my wife up untill the early 90s then the pubs gradully started to close down.

Such a shame,it took less than 10 minutes to walk from the Alma to the Running Horse to watch a live band
    and get a late drink.

Those were the days.

This Space For Hire

Like Oldboots I have noticed the suburbs of West London are where the pubs are closing.Southall and Hounslow have been decimated but it may be a cultural reason.I think its a shift in drinking habits as the young'uns seem to favour town centres rather than local pubs.Feltham seems to have lost a lot of pubs as well.

This Space For Hire aleandhearty's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by london calling View Post
    Southall and Hounslow have been decimated but it may be a cultural reason.
    I used to live in Southall in the late eighties and many of the pubs seemed barely viable even back then. My recollection is most of them were pretty dire. However, one of the better ones, on the High Street, was run by Sikhs and used to serve pretty decent Indian bar snacks. Rather unusual at the time.
    'And where he supped the past lived still. And where he sipped the glass brimmed full' John Barleycorn, Carol Ann Duffy.

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by aleandhearty View Post
    I used to live in Southall in the late eighties and many of the pubs seemed barely viable even back then. My recollection is most of them were pretty dire. However, one of the better ones, on the High Street, was run by Sikhs and used to serve pretty decent Indian bar snacks. Rather unusual at the time.
    I was once in a the Glassy Junction an Indian pub in Southall which took rupees. No longer as it closed a few years ago.

A place you may not associate with closed pubs is Henley-on-Thames.
    I came across an old list of Brakspear pubs from the 1970s and it includes a map of central Henley showing 18 pubs. A full ten of these have gone :-

Bear, Bell Street
    King's Arms, Market Place
    Little White Hart, Riverside
    Oddfellows Arms, Greys Road
    Old White Hart, Hart Street
    Red Cross, New Street
    Rose and Crown, New Street
    Royal Hotel, (Thames Side?)
    Wheatsheaf, Reading Road
    Ye Lion, Friday Street

You can add to this three on the outskirts,

Jolly Waterman, Reading Road
    Sun, Northfield End
    Old White Horse, Northfield End

The only one of these I didn't know at all was Ye Lion as it closed down before I got around to visiting.
    The one called the Beer Tree was the Queen's Head, a perfectly decent town boozer.

Needless to say, numerous others have gone, a couple across the river in Remenham for example and lots of old farmworker's pubs out in the middle of nowhere.

Strangely two in Hurley have had slight renaming. The Black Boy is the Black Boys and the Red Lion is the Red Lyon.

This Space For Hire

It depends on how big the area is of course and the timescale; many pubs closed long before anyone alive today was born and of course pubs have been closing since they were invented.

To get a view from the mid-19th century to the present in London's Tower Hamlets (E1, E14) for example, have a look at this:

http://www.pubology.co.uk/indexes/e1.html

http://www.pubology.co.uk/indexes/e14.html