Ads not shown when logged in
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Speedy ROB

Quote Originally Posted by ROBCamra View Post
    So a restricted forum of 141 members that we cannot be privy to?

AlanH, was there any reply to the chnges being done in a timely manner?
    Yes, he did admit that he was impressed.

It started about 6 months ago when he complained that PuG was rubbish because two pubs had changed their name and one closed a while back and were not updated on PuG.
    I checked the same town on WP and there was B----- A-- and asked why.
    He said, "well we havn't got round to it yet as they are all keg."

He has added them all in the last few days.
    Last edited by AlanH; 04-06-2014 at 16:56.

As Alan H said it's a Yahoo group which CAMRA members can ask to join.

I've just done a quick check on his closed pub figures and found that of the 14 he claims open on PuG but closed on WhatPub;
    4 were already shown as closed (Wheatsheaf, Crown, Fox & Hounds, Watermill)
    1 is shown as closed under its old name (Stafford Ale House)
    1 is open under its new name (Sozzled Sausage/ Academy in Uttoxeter), Peter Ashworth took a photo of it looking very open on 1st April 2014.

The remaining 8 were still shown as open I've marked them all as closed and updated the names where required. I'll look for the 4 he says should be open if I get time.

This Space For Hire

With regards to WP and their info, once up together, will be more accurate as they have more people in the area. For example there are only 4 people on here, that I'm aware of, who review/visit pubs around Bristol. So we can only mark open closed if we pass them, read about a closure or get told about one. They also have closer relationships with those responsible/involved with pubs. For example a pub that was shut having an extension to it which I was convinced was going to disappear they knew it would reopen and part of the extensions were to form some B&B rooms which it has now.

They also, round here, have been slow to mark pubs reopened/shut and previously I sent them a list of pubs which they sent people out to confirm or deny. I did the same with Wiltshire on one pub and got a response back weeks later which by that point the pub probably had shut again. However I drove past 2 last night that looked shut but weren't marked as shut. I need to investigate before I update, if necessary, on here.

Regarding the map points I correct every pub that I've been to, and some not if perusing and spot it's wrong, or are on the list to do unless they are already correct obviously. I haven't check their accuracy in too much detail but I suspect they are not as accurate as the exact building where location is harder to determine but I may test the theory if bored at some point.

Still can't beat this site it's easier to navigate for one.

I'll stay on me own

Quote Originally Posted by bcfczuluarmy View Post
    For example there are only 4 people on here, that I'm aware of, who review/visit pubs around Bristol.
    And I usually get it wrong having read it in an out of date Camra mag leaving Jon to correct me!

This Space For Hire

I think Bath & Borders Camra on WP are none existent they have pubs added but hardly a photo to be seen and lots of shut pubs still marked as open. I won't name them they can find them out on their own although they could just check here to get the heads up...

Quote Originally Posted by bcfczuluarmy View Post

Regarding the map points I correct every pub that I've been to, and some not if perusing and spot it's wrong, or are on the list to do unless they are already correct obviously. I haven't check their accuracy in too much detail but I suspect they are not as accurate as the exact building where location is harder to determine but I may test the theory if bored at some point.
    I guess you are referring to PuG map points here and not WhatPub? We all know how relatively easy it is to correct map points here, but has anyone tried to do it on WhatPub? I have and I can tell you it's hard work. If anyone is ever interested in knowing how to report such changes I'll gladly let them have the benefit of my experience, but frankly I've now given up.

Certainly one London CAMRA branch used PuG data as the basis for their WhatPub database. At one meeting I was at they got it in the neck from someone not in their branch who considered PuG data to be not worth having. Clearly I knew more than he did about the value of PuG data and was able to put him straight, although he remained sceptical. It seem that some CAMRA members in positions of responsibility do tar PuG with the same brush as lesser sites.

As far as London is concerned, I've found both PuG and WhatPub of great value in providing updated info for each. In the small world in which I operate (OK, maybe London's not too small a world) both sites have benefited from the presence of the other.

Quote Originally Posted by Rex_Rattus View Post
    As far as London is concerned, I've found both PuG and WhatPub of great value in providing updated info for each. In the small world in which I operate (OK, maybe London's not too small a world) both sites have benefited from the presence of the other.

I feel the same about Whatpub and as I've contributed to their site in a small way I don't feel any guilt about using some of their data here. The really big advantage Whatpub has over this site is the opening times. I would guess it would be beyond the scope of it to include them other than just part of the narrative where relevant.

Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
    I feel the same about Whatpub and as I've contributed to their site in a small way I don't feel any guilt about using some of their data here.
    I imagine there's rather a lot of cross-pollination, especially those Pubs Officers who uploaded their branch's data to WhatPub who also post here too

Anyways the two sites are distinct - WhatPub is a 'listings +' website that is (or should) be more up-to-date than here, simply because in theory every CAMRA branch should know (at the very least) how many pubs they have and the current status (give or take a couple of months).

Whereas here we give a more rounded, personal and nuanced opinion of the pub itself based on our own travels. Something WhatPub doesn't (and if they have any sense, never will) do.

So the two can live happily side-by-side without too much toe-treading. I think...
    Last edited by Quinno; 05-06-2014 at 19:18.

Quote Originally Posted by Quinno View Post

Anyways the two sites are distinct - WhatPub is a 'listings +' website that is (or should) be more up-to-date than here, simply because in theory every CAMRA branch should know (at the very least) how many pubs they have and the current status (give or take a couple of months).

Whereas here we give a more rounded, personal and nuanced opinion of the pub itself based on our own travels. Something WhatPub doesn't (and if they have any sense, never will) do.

So the two can live happily side-by-side without too much toe-treading. I think...
    Agreed, there was talk a while ago about user reviews and scores on Whatpub but it seems they have completely knocked that on the head.

This Space For Hire gillhalfpint's Avatar

I am happy using them both, as depending what I want to know, the answer comes from one or the other. Yes they can live side by side for me.
    Alcohol doesn't solve problems .... but then again, neither does milk.