Ads not shown when logged in

Thread: How Many Pubs and Bars Open a week/Year

Default How Many Pubs and Bars Open a week/Year

The figures for pub closures per week are widely available from a simple Google search, about 26 per week seems to be the current numbers bandied about, but a search for new pub opening per week/year just seems to come up with pubs closing facts. New drinking establishments are opening on a regular basis, JDW particularly but smaller chains as well (Craft) and many independents, but not seemingly reported stats wise, they must affect the overall figures, although well outweighed by the closures I would have thought. Maybe certain (pressure) groups prefer the more depressing figures? Is it all as depressing as some would make out given record numbers of new breweries opening as well ?
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

Waterborne Beer Inspector Bucking Fastard's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mobyduck View Post
    The figures for pub closures per week are widely available from a simple Google search, about 26 per week seems to be the current numbers bandied about, but a search for new pub opening per week/year just seems to come up with pubs closing facts. New drinking establishments are opening on a regular basis, JDW particularly but smaller chains as well (Craft) and many independents, but not seemingly reported stats wise, they must affect the overall figures, although well outweighed by the closures I would have thought. Maybe certain (pressure) groups prefer the more depressing figures? Is it all as depressing as some would make out given record numbers of new breweries opening as well ?
    A very astute point,and of course pubs which had formerly closed may also reopen which would swell the "opening " stats as well.The media should really focus on net closures per week rather than the more eye catching gross closures figure.But why let the facts get in the way of a good story.
    "Good people drink good beer" Hunter S Thompson

Spritzer Swallower

The Queen of Bradgate pub on Leicester's High Street has recently reopened after a couple of years of being a borded up eyesore.
    A former shit tip it has re-invevted itself in an admirable manner. Good choice of ales, Real ciders, continental lagers & UK & US craft beers & an eclectic menu it is a valuable addition to the street which has lost many old established businesses of recent years. A happy story surely.

This Space For Hire

Its actually moved up recently to 28 pubs and that's a net figure so that includes new openings presumably.I have heard the figures come from the Vat man/ custom and excise.

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by london calling View Post
    Its actually moved up recently to 28 pubs and that's a net figure so that includes new openings presumably.I have heard the figures come from the Vat man/ custom and excise.
    I'd be surprised if it was VAT (de)registrations, you'd only pick up individual free houses and tenancies that way. I doubt many managed house chains separate out their outlets for VAT purposes. I would have thought it would be easier to count up premises licences, I'd be amazed if local authorities didn't have to send in returns to the DCLG.

Quote Originally Posted by london calling View Post
    If these figures are net, which I didn't realise, then the situation is worse than I suspected.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

This Space For Hire

If these figures are net, which I didn't realise, then the situation is worse than I suspected.
    Maybe that,s why there is no list of pubs opening as the amount of pubs closing cancels them out. Yes the total of closures might be a lot higher. Read today that Plymouth had 25 pub closures in the 13 months from 1/1/12 to 31/1 13.Thats a massive amount for any city. Some may have reopened but goes to show how much the pub trade is suffering.