Ads not shown when logged in
Page 7 of 58 FirstFirst ... 567891757 ... LastLast

Thread: Bloody Awful Beer Of The Week

I'll stay on me own

YES

Get some gravy on it. Maldenman's Avatar
    Motspur Park or whichever pub I happen to be in at the time.

Tried a pint of the Black Sheep, "Golden Sheep" tonight in the Jolly Gardeners in Putney. Much maligned I see, but I thought it was ok if not remarkable. I'd rather a pint of that than GK IPA or Courage Best. Certainly not a session beer though.

I was given a tasting of Weltons Headless Horseman the other night in alocal pub. Tasted like the malt had been roasted to the point of no return. Glad I didn't ask for a pint, especially at 6% ABV

Quote Originally Posted by RogerB View Post
    I was given a tasting of Weltons Headless Horseman the other night in alocal pub. Tasted like the malt had been roasted to the point of no return. Glad I didn't ask for a pint, especially at 6% ABV
    I tried a pint of this last week. I quite liked it and thought it was a decent enough dark malt ale.

My contender for awful beer of the week/month/year is Davenport's Strawberry Fields. It tasted like a sugary, strawberry flavoured fizzy pop drink and everything else I ate or drank that day tasted of strawberry as a result. Eugh!

Popped into the Wat Tyler in Dartford yesterday and the Headless Horseman was still on which is unusual - they normally shift beers with comparitive ease. "No-one likes it much" said the barmaid. Being the nice sort of chap that I am I offered to help the pub rid themselves of the stuff and duly ordered a pint, after all, I only had about a third of a pint last week that she was going to throw away and sometimes I find that a pint gets better as you get further down the glass. I don't know they had done to it last week (it was a fresh cask at the time) but it was far more drinkable this week and I could happily have had another if it weren't for the 6% baggage that goes with it. It must have matured nicely over the week and it just goes to show that first impressions are sometimes deceptive. I hereby withdraw it from my BABotW.

Had a pint of Theakston's Grouse Beater in The Waterline - Newcastle. It was bloody awful.

I don't think it was the pubs fault as it was clear as a bell.

The Theakston's website says this about Grouse Beater

This orange brown beer is a light aromatic, flowery beer that has been inspired by the grouse beaters and moorland around Masham.
    A golden mid-gravity bitter with initial sweetness balanced with a moderate hop bitterness. Dry-hopped with Fuggles to give a delicate aroma complemented by a subtle hint of moorland berry, a favourite with grouse.

It's not "light aromatic, flowery". It's blow your head off, smell it from a mile away, flowery.

Someone has added about 3 tons of heather flowers to the boil.

I quite like heather beers like Fraoch Heather Ale, but this was just badly conceived filth.
    Last edited by ROBCamra; 13-09-2010 at 10:02.
    A pub is for life not just for Christmas

Quote Originally Posted by ROBCamra View Post
    Had a pint of Theakston's Grouse Beater in The Waterline - Newcastle. It was bloody awful.

I don't think it was the pubs fault as it was clear as a bell.

this was just badly conceived filth.
    LOL, yes I had some of that a good while ago at the Catherine Wheel in Henley. It minged! At the time I wasn't sure how much the pub was to blame but now it's becoming clearer...

I had a pint of Guinness in the Woodhouse N12a couple of weeks ago and after the first sip I wondered whether to tip it over the barmaid’s head or take it home and make a coq au vin with it… Yes it was that bad!

I found out as I was leaving that they had been closed for six weeks and my guess is that I was the unlucky guy who drew the short straw and got the stomach churner from the rancid barrel that had been left to fester whilst the owners were away.
    WE ARE THE BREADMEN - UP THE BEES

Was offered, but refused a 'Fortyniner' yesterday that simply wasn't right. Then I got the stock comment, 'It's clearing from the bottom'. Refraining from asking where he expected it to clear first, I pointed out that it was cloudy even where it was clear. The response was 'Well. I can see through it'.
    As both the other beers normally available were 'off' I left. Oh, and the 49'er had been connected to the GK IPA pump. Annoyingly the pub is one I associate with first rate beer. He Ho, when the landlords away, the mice will play
    Pubs are a hobby, real ale is a passion. Oh, and like me dogs, fear no evil..........

Quote Originally Posted by runningdog View Post
    Was offered, but refused a 'Fortyniner' yesterday that simply wasn't right. Then I got the stock comment, 'It's clearing from the bottom'. Refraining from asking where he expected it to clear first, I pointed out that it was cloudy even where it was clear. The response was 'Well. I can see through it'.
    As both the other beers normally available were 'off' I left. Oh, and the 49'er had been connected to the GK IPA pump. Annoyingly the pub is one I associate with first rate beer. He Ho, when the landlords away, the mice will play
    name and shame...?