Ads not shown when logged in
Page 5 of 58 FirstFirst ... 345671555 ... LastLast

Thread: Bloody Awful Beer Of The Week

Quote Originally Posted by PaulOfHorsham View Post
    Whilst I do whatever I can to avoid Hall & Woodhouse and their dreary Badger beers.
    Oh for the days when 'Sussex' actually came from Sussex (and didn't taste like Dorset ditch-water)...

Wandering, or wondering, or wandering in.

Quote Originally Posted by General Staal View Post
    Just my own taste, but anything by Shepherd Neame is plain awful. A whole range of beers that all taste exactly the same - past the sell by date boiled sweets.
    I'm glad someone else has 'outed' themselves as I feel exactly the same about Shep beers. It's that musty taste that seems to pervade through the whole range that I can't get on with. Presumaby it's the variety of hops used, during the last JDW festival, when they showed the hops used in the tasting notes, I noticed that I wasn't keen on some of the beers that used similar hops to Sheps.
    I've just joined Alcoholics Anonymous - I still drink, just under a different name.

This Space For Hire gillhalfpint's Avatar

Had Spitfire in Charlestown yesterday and it was certainly poor tasting. Found it hard to get through it.

I'm sure it tastes better at the Bear in Gornal area, Dudley where it is often a regular. Other Shep beers come on there too, so the regulars must like it.

Just Missed the Round Evil Gazebo's Avatar

I find almost all beers - providing they are well kept and served - are at least acceptable; it is rare that I find a beer I truly dislike. Every now and again, however…

Step forward Caledonian’s Mexican Bandit. It’s described on their website as having a “twist of natural lime,” but they may have got that wrong, as the pint I had tasted more like lime with a twist of beer. If I'd wanted a pint of lager & lime, I would have asked for one. One of the most peculiar beers I have tasted, and not a pleasant experience at all. Generally find Caledonian’s beers quite good, too.

I read recently that Ian Rankin’s latest book concerns Inspector Rebus investigating a murder at the Caledonian Brewery. I can only assume that the murderer had a pint of Mexican Bandit and set off for the brewery…
    Last edited by Evil Gazebo; 25-07-2010 at 14:18.

This Space For Hire aleandhearty's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Evil Gazebo View Post
    I read recently that Ian Rankin’s latest book concerns Inspector Rebus investigating a murder at the Caledonian Brewery. I can only assume that the murderer had a pint of Mexican Bandit and set off for the brewery…
    Duly noted 'EG'.
    'And where he supped the past lived still. And where he sipped the glass brimmed full' John Barleycorn, Carol Ann Duffy.

Wandering, or wondering, or wandering in.

Quote Originally Posted by Evil Gazebo View Post
    Step forward Caledonian’s Mexican Bandit. It’s described on their website as having a “twist of natural lime,” but they may have got that wrong, as the pint I had tasted more like lime with a twist of beer. If I wanted a pint of lager & lime, I would have asked for one. One of the most peculiar beers I have tasted, and not a pleasant experience at all. Generally find Caledonian’s beers quite good, too.
    Agreed EG, I quite like the distinctive taste of Cally's beers but this one was beyond bland and, as you say, the lime just takes over. Not one of their best.
    I've just joined Alcoholics Anonymous - I still drink, just under a different name.

Black Sheep brewery Golden Sheep. Bloody awful.

See the Black Sheep thread.
    A pub is for life not just for Christmas

Pussy Galore No 1 Oggwyn Trench's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ROBCamra View Post

Agreed , its bloody horrible
    Theres a Man with a Mullet going Mad with a Mallet in Millets !

Quote Originally Posted by ROBCamra View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Oggwyn Trench View Post
    Agreed , its bloody horrible

I had some in Wensleydale yesterday and it wasn't that bad, in fact I know people who like it, maybe it doesn't like being out of Yorkshire?

Quote Originally Posted by Millay View Post
    Agreed EG, I quite like the distinctive taste of Cally's beers but this one was beyond bland and, as you say, the lime just takes over. Not one of their best.
    Now I find Deuchars IPA truely disgusting although once upon a time it was a good beer, it's not my Bloody Awful Beer of the Week though cos I don't touch the stuff, BABOTW would be the Becks Vier I had in preference to Deuchars.

Official PG MILD tester Soup Dragon's Avatar

I had Caledonian Mexican Bandit the other day - it was truely awful
    MILD: